Mythology and Legendary Creatures

Started by Stranger Come Knocking, January 11, 2015, 06:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranger Come Knocking

I was reading through a list of Terran legendary creatures (dragons, griffins, goblins, and so forth) and couldn't help but wonder if Na'vi had any legendary creatures of their own, and what kind of myths they might have.  Certainly they must have some kind of myth/creature relating to their first encounter with Sawtute (centaurs, anyone?).

I imagine this is largely Cameron territory, but just curious what you guys think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_creatures

I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Vawmataw

There are surely mythology and legends. Just think of the dreamwalker, the demon and the toruk makto. And if you visit another clan, maybe the mythology would be different. We just don't have much information.

As for the human contact, it would be weird if their mythology was not altered. However, we are entering the Cameron territory. What will happen with the human mythology in the XXIInd century?
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Blue Elf

Unfortunately we know nothing more than we've seen in the movie. What I can think of is vrrtep (demon), so Na'vi must know some evil powers they call by this word, and maybe tireaioang can be connected with some mythology (spirit animal you discover during uniltaron).
Toruk makto is not mythology, but reality - one of Na'vi ise selected by toruk to ride him and you can see it by your eyes, as you seen Jake riding the toruk.
However I'd be surprised by fact that Na'vi have no mythology. Maybe Cameron will show us something in next movies.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Stranger Come Knocking

I would be curious if their mythology is more naturally-based (such as the centaur), spiritually-based (such as angels and demons), or storytelling-based (like how the telephone game has turned evil fairies and other Brothers Grimm collections into wussy four-year-old mush).
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.