Na'vi Cheers

Started by mouthfulofair, February 08, 2017, 03:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouthfulofair

So I've just started learning Na'vi but I'm curious: is there any word or expression for 'cheers'? What would it entail? Would the Na'vi clink glasses?  :P

Vawmataw

For the moment, we don't have any expression. Anyway, I don't think they even know what a glass is.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tirea Aean

Yeah, the whole thing with cheers and drinking glass clinking is very Earthly indeed. And it's not even universal to all people of Earth.

This is an interesting question. To answer it, we should look at the specifics of what we're wanting to translate. What is this moment when someone says "Cheers!"? What does it mean? Why do people say this? What does it mean to clink a glass? What understood unspoken signs are communicated in these acts?

Off the top of my head, only remotely close idea in Na'vi so far is the phrase of Congratulations: "Seykxel sì nitram", said when congratulating someone. But cheers seems to cover more than this. Especially if you're British, I think.

Toliman

I agree with Tirea Aean. This is really Earthly indeed.

I also don't think they even know about glass ... (I think that not)

Tirea Aean

The question tho is still valid..

Could it be, that the Na'vi have a cultural custom that is in any way comparable or similar to the one in OP?

The answer of course to nearly every single post in this  board is, only Cameron knows. But it's fun to speculate while we wait for future films to reveal more culture.

Toliman

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 08, 2017, 06:19:00 PM
Could it be, that the Na'vi have a cultural custom that is in any way comparable or similar to the one in OP?
I think that surely yes. Each culture can have any specific cultural customs so why Na'vi would not have something specific?

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 08, 2017, 06:19:00 PM
The answer of course to nearly every single post in this  board is, only Cameron knows. But it's fun to speculate while we wait for future films to reveal more culture.
Yeah, completelly true :)

mouthfulofair

Maybe not cheers in conjunction to chugging beer in sloppy companionship, but a kind of invocation of higher powers, like in the rituals of the Nepalese and Marathi, or even the Native Americans; or like a salutation, as in the Latin and Greek.

Thanks for all the wonderful consideration!

Atkxìn

Quote from: mouthfulofair on February 08, 2017, 09:04:18 PM
Maybe not cheers in conjunction to chugging beer in sloppy companionship, but a kind of invocation of higher powers, like in the rituals of the Nepalese and Marathi, or even the Native Americans; or like a salutation, as in the Latin and Greek.

If you have more details about the rituals and salutations you're mentioning, maybe some of the experienced Na'vi minds here can think of a way to express it. I for one would be interested in the details for their own sake as well.  :)

Eana Unil

We've already seen a drinking scene in the first movie (deleted scenes). Ok, it was more like Jake and Tsu'tey battling each other again than a more peaceful way of communal consumation of beverages, but no cheers or anything of that kind could be seen.

I'm gonna wait what Cameron will do with this (or not) in the sequels ^^

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

From what we know of Na'vi culture, I might even expect something like this to be a little more solemn or formal, even when done in celebration. Unless though, one was intoxicated. We are not even sure how a drunk Na'vi would act, but I kind of get the suspicion from the little bit we have seen is that they might act very much like an 'Rrta drunk person would.

I agree with others though, that a word that expressed this sentiment would be useful in conversation or communications.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Blue Elf

Quote from: Vawmataw on February 08, 2017, 03:22:29 PM
For the moment, we don't have any expression. Anyway, I don't think they even know what a glass is.
Well, they don't know glass, but have tsngal (cup) and sey (cup created from natural materials with minimal modifications), so in theory they can clink them, although probably it doesn't create such nice sound :)
and they say something like Fpomtokxìri niväk ko! (Let's drink for health). I even think that Paul mentioned some similar phrase somewhere - does anyone remember?

Edit: found it! See wiki: https://wiki.learnnavi.org/Na'vi_Handouts
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Toliman

Quote from: Blue Elf on February 11, 2017, 08:25:41 AM
Quote from: Vawmataw on February 08, 2017, 03:22:29 PM
Well, they don't know glass, but have tsngal (cup) and sey (cup created from natural materials with minimal modifications), so in theory they can clink them, although probably it doesn't create such nice sound :)
Good idea :) but it's true that nice sound of glass would be really missed ;D

Plumps

Maybe I'm interpreting that wrong but what about

Nitram nì'aw!

from this blog post?

Isn't that a 'cheers'?

Toliman

I think that Nitram nì'aw! is very good and right idea :) And yes, it is a 'cheers, I think.

Vawmataw

lol, we've completely passed by this phrase without noticing
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Plumps on February 11, 2017, 09:13:20 AM
Maybe I'm interpreting that wrong but what about

Nitram nì'aw!

from this blog post?

Isn't that a 'cheers'?

:o
Quote from: Vawmataw on February 11, 2017, 08:50:24 PM
lol, we've completely passed by this phrase without noticing

Quote from: PawlNìvingkap, we now have a Na'vi toast:

Nitram nì'aw! 'Happy only!'

Hayalovay!

;D /thread

What a fantastic answer that I completely didn't realize was out there. So we have a cheers phrase in such a context.

Still interested in what times this would be said. Or when and for what this Na'vi toast would appear.