Na'vi warfare

Started by Txepa-utral Atxkxe, January 06, 2010, 01:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Quote from: ShadowedSin on January 26, 2010, 04:29:10 AM
Yo are not a Skxawn ma tsmukan. The Tsahik position would need to show continuous control by a given bloodline to prove hereditary status. Or an emphasis on relation for who becomes Tsahik. Though it does state that Tsu'tey if he had married Neytiri would become Olo'Eyktan and she Tsahik. This is one little note that puts as at a disadvantage. Tsu'tey shows through his position as warrior and leader in the Iknimaya that his position is from status by showing skill. Also because he has supporters he is mostly a Bigman Na'vi. Meaning that his supporters through social support create his status, he in turn probably does something for them to keep them happy.

The same could be said about Neytiri. The one thing that does strike me about the Tsahik position. It is almost priest like. Priest being a formally trained individual who partakes in religious rites. Where as a Shaman is merely someone who communes with the spirit. Though technically the Tsahik position could be considered a sorcerer because Mo'at did use implements to indicate some kind of action.

All of this is Anthro terminology, sorry if it doesn't make sense.

Sorcerers are practioners that use objects to create "magic". Priests are formally trained and groomed for their Job. Shaman or Shmanaka, are those chosen by or granted powers to commune with the spirits. Santa Claus by definition was a Shaman.

I think Tsahík can be considered a combination of all things. If it is not a hereditary position than the person is probably still chosen at a young age. Probably by a sign of Eywa. She is then "groomed" to learn the proper ways of interpreting the Will. The grooming does not take a forefront of the chosen Na'vi's life as Neytiri has shown us; they are still expected to live a "normal" Na'vi life, filled with hunt, flight, dance, and war.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

kintìomum

See, there's one understanding what I wanted to say!

I think it works the same way for Tsu'tey being the chosen olo'eyktan.
He's proven he is a good warrior with the right set of skills and his education refines these raw skills into those needed to not only be a great war leader but enhances his abilities to become a social leader, too.
we don't get to see too much of him but that is something where he needed teaching, in my opinion.
Stature, reflexes, strength and agility might be fine but you can't hope to inspire your folks into a longer endeavour with physicality only.
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

ShadowedSin

Aye, Tsu'Tey was probably chosen because he had a lot of support and he had the skill. Band societies tend to just go with people. If you have a good hunter, the others follow him. It's more natural, the Na'vi seem to show that. Plus if what Ting is aiming is true, means they also have a semi-priesthood.
\Shadow's Sin
A Blog discussion Amazon and notes for the Arrow Child Novella!

Arrow Child
An Online Serial Novel and the first story in the Amazon Diaspora Saga.

kintìomum

I remember a saying though I don't know where I heard it:
Nobility are these that saw in which direction the mob wanted and ran in the first place.
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Kawnga Tawtute

think about troy.... love