Na'vi Afterlife

Started by Tìng Eywatikìte'e, January 19, 2010, 02:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

We started to talk about this in another topic and decided to start a new one.

We know that all energy must be given back to Eywa as shown in a Na'vi funeral, but what are your thoughts on their after life?

Is it reincarnation? Or does their energy simply flow through out the world. Are they "with" Eywa in a similar sense to our heaven?

And what about Na'vi's that have gone against Eywa or have committed crimes. We've talked about it before, if someone has done something bad enough to get their queue cut off is their energy returned to Eywa when they die? Would it be considered an insult to Eywa if the energy wasn't returned to her? Or would she not want the energy of a criminal?

Thoughts? Discus away!
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

I think that our energy is remade or convert to be used by others after joining Eywa, but the people's minds join and stay with Eywa watching everyone on Pandora.

I don't know about the crimes. I think they could commit something to the Na'vi, but they would still respect Eywa.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

There is always somebody in a society that will go against everything. There are a couple of different sources that discus the removal of the queue as a way of punishing them. Without it they would no longer be able to communicate with Eywa, which they find worst then death. I wonder if this happens if they'll be able to join Eywa after death. If they aren't it would be the single worst thing that could happen to them, which is one way of keeping people in line.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

That's one way to keep people in line. I will agree with this, but how would they decide that cut off the queue? Would it be decided by Eywa through the Spiritual leader?

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Possibly, I think she would be the only one with the type of authority to do such an act. Even if the Olo'ekytan wouldn't be able to do it as they would need the will of Eywa behind the act.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Elektrolurch

I don't think, that all Na'Vi are equal to Eywa; Every creature is equal to Eywa ...

Just think about Neytiri's prayer:

"Oeri txoa lìvu
maweya tsmùkan
Hu nawma sa'un tìvul ngeyä tireya
Oeri txoa lìvu"
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

Toruk Makto

I think a part of each Na'vi is permanently bonded with Eywa the first time they tsahaylu at the Trees of Voices, or the Tree of Souls. The energy that formed their physical bodies is returned to the world when they die, but their spirit is always with Eywa.

EDIT: And who said that cutting off their queue is a form of punishment?

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

They're from sketchy sources mainly, but I do find it an interesting idea. Also when Jake was under captive by Tsu'tey they guided him into the camp by holding a knife to the queue rather than his throat or someplace deadly.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Elektrolurch

Right, I never noticed that ... But I (as a Na'Vi) could hardly believe that a dreamwalker would miss his connection to Eywa ...

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Exactly. An Avatar wouldn't really care if their queue was cut off, but the Na'vi see it as the biggest threat possible. It just comes naturally to them when taking a prisoner.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Elektrolurch

I also see the Na'Vi as a very wise and intelligent people. They don't do any things without thinking about it.

And what happens to a Na'Vi, who lost his queue in an accident ore something like that? Would he immediately die? Or is he just extremely broken-hearted? When Grace dies, we can clearly see, how threads are built up from the Tree of Souls to her neck. Maybe a queue can also be restored or recovered?

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

That's interesting idea. At this point all we do is speculate things like that. It could be possible to restore it.

At that moment Jake didn't know and didn't care that knife was held to the queue, but I think he does now after experiencing the bonds.

Elektrolurch

True, Jake's connection to the real god Eywa seems to be the most important thing in his life. Next to his love to Neytiri and the peaceful status quo.

I guess, the tsaheylu is the most important thing in a Na'Vi's life ..

Swok Txon

Well, when grace died it was said she "went to eywa" grace said you no "I am with her" etc.

So it could be a state of peace or you are maybe spiritually stored in the tree of souls with the other ancestors of the Na'vi

kind of like heaven almost

just less far fetched :-P

Elektrolurch

But a wonderful idea.

Is there also a Na'Vi hell?

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

A nice idea there Swok.

I think what would consider a Na'vi hell is if someone dies, their energy goes to Eywa, but their spirit is rejected by Eywa and dies with the body.

Elektrolurch

Wonderful. And how would you define "energy", and what's "spirit"? What are the similarities, and what are the differences?

Maybe, the spirit is the consciousness, including the feelings and thoughts of the Na'Vi .... The energy could be the work he did, all his performances and services he did for the people ....

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

I should have said mind for spirit. The spirit would be the mind of the person or animal. The energy would be the life-force of the person or animal.

Elektrolurch

Good idea ..

Why don't we open an extra thread? ;D

Eywal ngaru teing oeti