Na'vi archery technique

Started by Ftiaronsem, January 16, 2010, 11:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kintìomum

As far as I remember the making-offs they were.
Shooting with real size bows tends to be somewhat easier than trying to use a Na'vi-sized one...
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Txonyä'ite

So based on those pictures are they straight longbows? I didn't see anything at the end that says recurve to me. The reason i ask is I am thinking of picking up archery as a hobby and when i am not using it i want the bow to look right so that i can display it (unstrung of course)

A. A. Aaron

Those are beyond cool. I'm such a sucker for movie props.

Omatikaya'itan

yes that sounds good sanumeyu. unfortunatly it rained today will do range tommorow oh it will not be on video dont know how to upload it.

Mako

Quote from: Omatikaya'itan on January 26, 2010, 08:04:32 PM
yes that sounds good sanumeyu. unfortunatly it rained today will do range tommorow oh it will not be on video dont know how to upload it.

Yeah, baseball screwed with me today too. I stayed at school from 7 AM to 8 PM. So yeah. Working on it tomorrow.

Technowraith

Range was closed today due to flooding from yesterday's rain. I'll have to go back in a few days. Or I'll bring the bow to my friend's how this weekend and practice there. I know he wants me to show him the Na'vi technique, so i might as well bring the bow and practice there.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Omatikaya'itan

I was thinking there are a wide range of variables that can crap our results. such as my longbow is about 4 and a half to five feet in length but the na'vi bow is like 6 to 7 feet in length this can change the bow strength i believe, but the most important fact i think is the arrow. Mine are aluminum shafts with aluminum tips and plastic fletching way diffrent than the na'vi wood shaft, feather fletching and stone head. This is the fact that will crap our results the weight of the arrow. If i could know the weight of a na'vi arrow it would greatly help, also the bow, mine is made out of a bendable plastic combound or somthing way diffrent than the na'vi hometree wood and whatever the string is made out of probably animal hide or somthing but i know its not nylon like mine. so i believe if somone can get in contact with somone from the movie how unlikely it sounds but if we can get the info on the specifics of the na'vi bow and arrow such as weight, length, bow strength, etc. I know for a fact i could get more accurate results than with my bow.

Mako

Definitely. But we're going to have to deal with it unfortunately.

Omatikaya'itan

Ayfa'liyä omumyu

Quote from: Txonyä'ite on January 26, 2010, 10:50:16 AM
So based on those pictures are they straight longbows? I didn't see anything at the end that says recurve to me. The reason i ask is I am thinking of picking up archery as a hobby and when i am not using it i want the bow to look right so that i can display it (unstrung of course)

If you're just taking up archery I would recommend you start with either a flatbow (flat/square/rectangular section) or a longbow ("D" cross-section). Recurves are widely available and popular, but are quite a bit less forgiving and have a tendency towards being "snappy." That is, while they are faster, they also demand a cleaner release which can make it harder to put things downrange where you want them. At least as important as the bow style if not moreso is to choose a bow with a draw weight appropriate to you. Starting too heavy will be frustrating and tiresome, so take it easy and work your way up. And worry about how it looks hanging on your wall later...

Fkeu Omaticaya Tzmukan

what ever technique it might be it sure is good! ;D

Technowraith

Quote from: Omatikaya'itan on January 26, 2010, 09:58:40 PM
I was thinking there are a wide range of variables that can crap our results. such as my longbow is about 4 and a half to five feet in length but the na'vi bow is like 6 to 7 feet in length this can change the bow strength i believe, but the most important fact i think is the arrow. Mine are aluminum shafts with aluminum tips and plastic fletching way diffrent than the na'vi wood shaft, feather fletching and stone head. This is the fact that will crap our results the weight of the arrow. If i could know the weight of a na'vi arrow it would greatly help, also the bow, mine is made out of a bendable plastic combound or somthing way diffrent than the na'vi hometree wood and whatever the string is made out of probably animal hide or somthing but i know its not nylon like mine. so i believe if somone can get in contact with somone from the movie how unlikely it sounds but if we can get the info on the specifics of the na'vi bow and arrow such as weight, length, bow strength, etc. I know for a fact i could get more accurate results than with my bow.

We're never going to achieve the same variables the Na'vi achieve. It's obvious we can't fire a 7 foot longbow very easily. The closest thing we can do is scale down their variables to human sizes. I'm not attempting to achieve the exact same variables that the Na'vi do. I'm just replicating in "human terms" the Na'vi experience. My longbow is analogous to Jake's basic hunting bow. The arrows i use are wooden shaft, with typical heads and fletching. The techniques are use are a mix of standard technique i learned from a beginner to what i am now, plus a mix of Na'vi form tossed in here and there. In fact, i still use the same bow i started with 10 years ago. I shoot for pure recreation. I'm not a competitor because i don't like the pressure or the drama. (Or the expense for that matter). I'm having quite a bit of fun incorporating Na'vi technique into my form. And it's had some interesting results.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Txonyä'ite

Quote from: Ayfa'liyä omumyu on January 26, 2010, 10:57:29 PM
Quote from: Txonyä'ite on January 26, 2010, 10:50:16 AM

If you're just taking up archery I would recommend you start with either a flatbow (flat/square/rectangular section) or a longbow ("D" cross-section). Recurves are widely available and popular, but are quite a bit less forgiving and have a tendency towards being "snappy." That is, while they are faster, they also demand a cleaner release which can make it harder to put things downrange where you want them. At least as important as the bow style if not moreso is to choose a bow with a draw weight appropriate to you. Starting too heavy will be frustrating and tiresome, so take it easy and work your way up. And worry about how it looks hanging on your wall later...
Thanks for the tips. I have found an archery shop in my town that is recommended by a number of local clubs and they supposedly have a guy who can measure your draw and help you evaluate the correct weight to shoot. I am going to go see him, maybe today, and see what is up. Thanks also for the tip on the recurve, that was my thought but i had been hearing conflicting things about the ups and downs on the different styles, the way you put it seems to break it down in a way that is easy to understand. :)

kharvilak

I definitely need to get out to he archery club more often than I have been lately.  I have a Hoyt compound, but prefer my Win & Win recurve, which unfortunately is in need of a new limb bolt.  I have been studying and training in Olympic-style recurve shooting.  I plan on buying a nice longbow soon, which I am addicted to shooting.  I'd love to go with handmade wood arrows for aesthtics, but currently shoot with carbon arrows for quality, accuracy, and strength.

ShadowedSin

Has anyone considered the Na'vi hand structure?

They do have a slightly different design in how their hands and fingers are displayed.
\Shadow's Sin
A Blog discussion Amazon and notes for the Arrow Child Novella!

Arrow Child
An Online Serial Novel and the first story in the Amazon Diaspora Saga.

Omatikaya'itan

ya i figured as much technowraith but what are the results from your tests using the na'vi technique i am about to do my shooting in about an hour from now then i shall post my results

Technowraith

Quote from: Omatikaya'itan on January 27, 2010, 04:18:43 PM
ya i figured as much technowraith but what are the results from your tests using the na'vi technique i am about to do my shooting in about an hour from now then i shall post my results

I haven't noticed much of a difference really. Other than the adjustment period. I overdraw 99% of the time. So the only real change i made was twisting my wrist 180 degrees. At first it was a bit odd, but i got used to it soon. If i draw righty, however, it's a bit harder to aim properly. And that's due to always aiming with my right hand. I'm not as well versed aiming with my left hand. (I can get arrows to the target, but no where near the bull's eye). If i swap, draw lefty and aim righty, things level out to normal after a brief adjustment. In conclusion, the twisted wrist method works fine for me. Keep in mind that just because it works for me, it may not necessarily work for you for whatever reasons. Discomfort while using this technique indicates something isn't working quite right. Certainly don't cause yourself any potential injury.  :)

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Omatikaya'itan

Ya will try not to im lefty and im using lighter arrows and bow than a wooden one so who knows i might get somthin diffrent.

Omatikaya'itan

The results are in for me at 10 yards using the na'vi technique the arrow always went to the right it did the same for 20, 30, and 40 yards it always went to the right yet when i fire normaly the arrows hit the target, very surprising reults.

Technowraith

Quote from: Omatikaya'itan on January 27, 2010, 06:04:08 PM
The results are in for me at 10 yards using the na'vi technique the arrow always went to the right it did the same for 20, 30, and 40 yards it always went to the right yet when i fire normaly the arrows hit the target, very surprising reults.

I haven't benchmarked myself at specific distances yet. But you do bring up a point i haven't. The fact that the arrow travels slightly off target with the twisted wrist technique. For me, i've adjusted to that by aiming in the opposite direction. (Which is why i haven't mentioned it. I've just begun correcting and it became second nature.) In other words, if the arrow travels to the right, i aim farther to the left. Since the degree of off-set in my case is pretty much constant, i've managed to still get arrows on approximate target with a decent rate of success. When i revert to "standard" form (no twisted wrist), i tend to miss on the first couple shots, but then correct back to true targeting.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm