Na'vi archery technique

Started by Ftiaronsem, January 16, 2010, 11:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omatikaya'itan

Ya im going to start practicing with it for a while until the target correcting is no longer a problem then i will figure out if the na'vi way is more accurate and etc. i just wanted to post the first set of results for sänumeyu because he is going to try the same thing also my results are done with modern day equipment with aluminum arrows

Omatikaya'itan

just realized somthing when the na'vi fire there arrow they keep there finger on the shaft as it leaves the bow maybe thats to keep it from going to the right all the time i will test this tommorow

Technowraith

Quote from: Omatikaya'itan on January 27, 2010, 07:28:33 PM
just realized somthing when the na'vi fire there arrow they keep there finger on the shaft as it leaves the bow maybe thats to keep it from going to the right all the time i will test this tommorow

Not sure if keeping your finger on the arrow as it leaves the bow would cause it to go off target. But that too is something i will try this weekend. I went and got a target for my back yard. So i don't have to restrict practice to just the range.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

kharvilak

Quote from: Technowraith on January 27, 2010, 07:46:22 PM
Quote from: Omatikaya'itan on January 27, 2010, 07:28:33 PM

Not sure if keeping your finger on the arrow as it leaves the bow would cause it to go off target. But that too is something i will try this weekend. I went and got a target for my back yard. So i don't have to restrict practice to just the range.

I always do this when I shoot, always have... don't know if I still do it just out of habit, but it just feels right shooting like that.  It also doesn't seem to have any adverse effect on accuracy, velocity, etc., though I can't really say if there's any real benefit to it either.

Txonyä'ite

Just bought my first bow. The arrows should be fletched by tommorow (carbon with 4in feathers) and once I can actually hit a target and i get some basic form down i will try na'vi style shooting. :D

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Txonyä'ite on January 27, 2010, 07:59:43 PM
Just bought my first bow. The arrows should be fletched by tommorow (carbon with 4in feathers) and once I can actually hit a target and i get some basic form down i will try na'vi style shooting. :D

Yaay! Serious congrats on buying your first bow.

As to everyone else. I am just lurking these days, as I have nothing to add but I love reading this discussion. This is one of the better threads. So much interesting info. Thanks for your contributions you guys ++!

:D
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Technowraith

Congrats on entering a new and rewarding hobby. You'll have fun i'm sure. Na'vi shooting isn't that much different than regular shooting. But since you're just starting, it's important for you to develop your own natural and comfortable stances, i would stay away from na'vi shooting right at the outset. Consider buying your own target if you have a backyard that's big enough. I wouldn't recommend shooting in the back yard if you have kids in the neighborhood. They could run through the yard at any moment, and you know what kind of disaster that could be. I can get away with it at home here because there's a separate fenced off area the kids can't go running through. (But they run through the rest of the yard like they live here).

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Txonyä'ite

Quote from: Technowraith on January 27, 2010, 08:26:20 PM

Congrats on entering a new and rewarding hobby. You'll have fun i'm sure. Na'vi shooting isn't that much different than regular shooting. But since you're just starting, it's important for you to develop your own natural and comfortable stances, i would stay away from na'vi shooting right at the outset. Consider buying your own target if you have a backyard that's big enough. I wouldn't recommend shooting in the back yard if you have kids in the neighborhood. They could run through the yard at any moment, and you know what kind of disaster that could be. I can get away with it at home here because there's a separate fenced off area the kids can't go running through. (But they run through the rest of the yard like they live here).

I actually got really lucky on that. There is an indoor range not 2 miles from my house and the guy who owns the shop is incredibly friendly and helpful. I just told him that I was new to the hobby and wanted to do traditional longbow shooting. He measured me and even took me into the range with a number of beginner level longbows and had me try each one while he watched to figure out what weight I should draw. I had alot of fun but did not get to shoot much because the arrows I bought are not yet ready. I can't wait though.

By the way, I think I will be staying out of the back yard because there are dogs in the yard behind me and I have no skill yet and less luck so I think we all know where that would end.  :p

Technowraith

I was measured for my bow over 10 years ago. Thing is, even though i've grown slightly since then, i've never bothered to get "re-tuned." Depending on when you enter archery, if you still have "room to grow" your draw length changes over the years. The bow i use now is technically weighted for someone who has a shorter draw length. Hence the reason i'm always overdrawing. In order for me to fix this, i have to get a larger bow and get re-measured. Things i'm too lazy to do right now.  ;D

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

QuoteBy the way, I think I will be staying out of the back yard because there are dogs in the yard behind me and I have no skill yet and less luck so I think we all know where that would end.  :p

Yes, careful please. LearnNa'vi does not support doggie killing...
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

A. A. Aaron

Quote from: Txonyä'ite on January 27, 2010, 08:36:07 PM
I actually got really lucky on that. There is an indoor range not 2 miles from my house and the guy who owns the shop is incredibly friendly and helpful. I just told him that I was new to the hobby and wanted to do traditional longbow shooting. He measured me and even took me into the range with a number of beginner level longbows and had me try each one while he watched to figure out what weight I should draw. I had alot of fun but did not get to shoot much because the arrows I bought are not yet ready. I can't wait though.

By the way, I think I will be staying out of the back yard because there are dogs in the yard behind me and I have no skill yet and less luck so I think we all know where that would end.  :p
You'll have to post pictures of your progress to keep us all up to speed on how you're doing. We'll cheer you on!

Txonyä'ite

Thank you all for your support and don't worry i don't support doggie killing either. I am typing this while laying with a lab/husky mix, and cocker/springer mix, a cairn terrier, and a pomeranian (they say Kaltxì) I will try to post pics of my progress as well assuming i can get someone to take them.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Oh you better get those pictures! Pay a hobo if you must!
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Txonyä'ite

lol, I will try to get some for you guys! Remember though, I have shot the bow 5 times and the arrows I bought are not even fletched yet...Besides i want to be able to not shoot myself in the foot before i post pics :)

A. A. Aaron

Quote from: Txonyä'ite on January 27, 2010, 11:27:18 PM
lol, I will try to get some for you guys! Remember though, I have shot the bow 5 times and the arrows I bought are not even fletched yet...Besides i want to be able to not shoot myself in the foot before i post pics :)
You'll do fine!
Now, get your arrows finished, get out there and shoot!

Ikranä mokri

i used the Na'Vi action with a lamiated recurve bow ( the ones you can buy quite cheapish) and it feels wierd the first time you use it especially as you using you weak arm to draw with. but it does give you more power in the shot seeming as I personally found you felt more strain on the bowstring and it seems as if you are drawing your arm back further as well. but I done some archery but not tonnes so dont take me as an expert

Tirea Tskoyä has a new look see it[url=http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-

Technowraith

Recurves behave differently than traditional longbows. A recurve is actually designed to stay curved even when you take the string off the bow (hence the name). They tend to draw a little heavier than longbow, but you can weight a longbow for a heavy draw. I've used recurves and found them not to my liking for some reason. It just "didn't feel right." So i switched to a regular longbow and never went back. I don't use those fancy compound bows because i favor simplicity over complexity.

In any case, when you first start using the Na'vi technique, it will feel weird. And it will upset your stnadard performance until you get used to it. As with anything new, there's adjustment period. Once you get used to it and adapt, it will become second nature.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Ikranä mokri

well atm im making myself a longbow, i thought about using yew but i couldnt find any yew trees so im thinking of using andother wood , any good suggestions on what woods to use. compound bows are good to use when starting out cause their in abundance and a re pretty good

but changing my action did slightly improve my power but decreased my aim i think i got a score of 13 wich was my best shoot of the day.

Technowraith

Quote from: Twonyu Ikranä on January 28, 2010, 04:49:56 AM
well atm im making myself a longbow, i thought about using yew but i couldnt find any yew trees so im thinking of using andother wood , any good suggestions on what woods to use. compound bows are good to use when starting out cause their in abundance and a re pretty good

but changing my action did slightly improve my power but decreased my aim i think i got a score of 13 wich was my best shoot of the day.

If you're looking for Yew, you may have to go to a lumber supply store and ask around. I wouldn't suggest finding a tree and chopping it down truthfully. Some people can be pretty attached to their trees. (No pun intended). The Na'vi technique does tend to send you slightly off target, so you may want to compensate by trying to figure out how far off target you are and then correcting for it. For me, i simply aim a tad farther to the left and my arrows generally hit where i want them to. It's funny because people at the range will tell me i'm gonna miss but when i hit the target, they stop bothering me.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Ikranä mokri

cool well i was thinking oak for a shorter bow as well cause sometimes they take a long time to season