Na'vi archery technique

Started by Ftiaronsem, January 16, 2010, 11:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aziza

Do you guys think archery is a good skill to have now days?

i always thought it would be cool to leran, but not many chances given to use such a skill

Curse modernization :P

Omatikaya'itan

Well i used the Na'vi technique plus the finger on the arrow as it left the bow and my suspicions were correct the arrow flew straight and true to the bullseye from now on im going to use this technique almost all the time on my next hunting trip im going to use this technique

Omatikaya'itan

yes its agreat skill to learn i use it when i go hunting but then agian i also use a rifle but the bow to use it in the forest just gets your mind into the thought of the native americans and the na'vi. so yes archery is an awsome thing to learn

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

Quote from: Omatikaya'itan on January 28, 2010, 04:35:39 PM
yes its agreat skill to learn i use it when i go hunting but then agian i also use a rifle but the bow to use it in the forest just gets your mind into the thought of the native americans and the na'vi. so yes archery is an awsome thing to learn

I agree, using a bow and arrow, especially during the Frontier days, takes a skill that hunters that use rifles don't get. To effectively use a bow and arrow both need to be absolutely perfect. If you miss, you know it was you that missed. In addition, you get the connection with nature, because, especially with Native Americans, you killed the game animal on the animal's terms.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Txonyä'ite

For me its also a way to connect with the history of humanity. Not only are you doing something the way its been done for centuries, you are using and developing muscles that you never have to use in modern life. (and they are sore right now ;))

Omatikaya'itan

ya thats why when i go hunting or just shoot my bow or rifle for fun i never use somthin modern when it comes to firearms i use my M-91 Mosin Nagant marksman version (sniper rifle) from world war 2. to me its history you can hold in your hands and it makes you think, who carried this rifle?, where are they now are they alive? stuff like that

Technowraith

Quote from: Aziza on January 28, 2010, 04:33:13 PM
Do you guys think archery is a good skill to have now days?

i always thought it would be cool to leran, but not many chances given to use such a skill

Curse modernization :P

As a recreation it's a great skill to have. If you bow hunt, than all the better skill to have. I generally don't hunt with the bow, but i do scare the snot outta annoying squirrels and other vermin by shooting near them but not killing them.

As for being sore after shooting, try stretching before and after your session. It helps you limber up and loosen tight muscles. I find it a good way to relax in addition.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Omatikaya'itan

I agree in order to not be sore after just stretch and limber up most people who are always used to hunting with guns forget this when using bows and they get really sore

Txonyä'ite

I will do that, I only shot like 5-10 shots so I didn't think it would be an issue, I will know better next time :)

Omatikaya'itan

ok i just got out of seeing avatar for the 5th time and was focusing on the bows how do they keep the arrows on the on the bow when they have the bow on there backs is there some sort of string or rope?

kintìomum

I thought I spotted some kind of webbing around the middle part.
It's best to be seen when Jake hands his bow to Tsu'tey at the "catch your ikran"-scene.
That could also explain why they carry so few arrows.
Two are just placed with opposite ends to each other (feathers to tip) but a third and fourth would then need more room because you either have two sets of feathers (which are fairly rigid to guide the flight) or two tips with a feather between them.
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Omatikaya'itan

ya i thought i saw somthin at that scene but it was so quick that i though my eyes just played a trick on me. i think the reason why there are only two fletching feathers is so they can fire through that net, remember the first time we see neytiri in the movie she is about to shoot jake her arrows are still in the webbing yet she doesnt slide them up and out she slides them to the side and it looks like she fire is about to fire through the webbing or somthing.

kintìomum

Might be that the webbing somehow works like a Velcro.
You put the arrow in, it's safe enough while you walk around but if you need it you can just pull the end to the string and shoot without having to nestle it free...
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Omatikaya'itan

Maybe it works somthing like that. who knows

Technowraith

Quote from: Omatikaya'itan on January 30, 2010, 10:57:21 AM
ya i thought i saw somthin at that scene but it was so quick that i though my eyes just played a trick on me. i think the reason why there are only two fletching feathers is so they can fire through that net, remember the first time we see neytiri in the movie she is about to shoot jake her arrows are still in the webbing yet she doesnt slide them up and out she slides them to the side and it looks like she fire is about to fire through the webbing or somthing.

I thought i saw Neytiri firing off to the side of the webbing. During this week's ventures to Avatar, i will take a closer look.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Mako

Oh, for the record, I definitely got more power using the Na'vi firing technique, but I need to change my aim as the arrow shot off to the left of the target :P

Ayfa'liyä omumyu

Quote from: Sänumeyu on January 31, 2010, 12:55:15 PM
Oh, for the record, I definitely got more power using the Na'vi firing technique, but I need to change my aim as the arrow shot off to the left of the target :P

More power is being generated because the Na'vi overdraw, so you are (I'm assuming here, since I don't know your usual style) storing more energy into the bow limbs by compressing them more than usual. This does raise two concerns. Firstly, is the bow you're using safe to draw to the distance you are? Bows generally have ratings, stating their pound of draw at a given length (i.e. 40 lbs @ 30"). Depending on the type of bow, regular overflexing could be a concern.

Secondly, arrows are generally sized for that draw length, so overdrawing in the Na'vi fashion would lead to having too short an arrow. If you're getting to the point that the tip of the arrow is coming back onto the rest, you may be in for some trouble and will need to get longer shafts. Also a possibility, but less of a concern, is if you're significantly overdrawing and gaining a few extra pounds of force, you may need more heavily-spined arrows to compensate.

Omatikaya'itan

ya i need to get longer arrows the practice arrows i have are way to short the tips are to the rests before the bow is any where near being over drawn

Technowraith

Quote from: Ayfa'liyä omumyu on January 31, 2010, 01:12:50 PM
Quote from: Sänumeyu on January 31, 2010, 12:55:15 PM

More power is being generated because the Na'vi overdraw, so you are (I'm assuming here, since I don't know your usual style) storing more energy into the bow limbs by compressing them more than usual. This does raise two concerns. Firstly, is the bow you're using safe to draw to the distance you are? Bows generally have ratings, stating their pound of draw at a given length (i.e. 40 lbs @ 30"). Depending on the type of bow, regular overflexing could be a concern.

Secondly, arrows are generally sized for that draw length, so overdrawing in the Na'vi fashion would lead to having too short an arrow. If you're getting to the point that the tip of the arrow is coming back onto the rest, you may be in for some trouble and will need to get longer shafts. Also a possibility, but less of a concern, is if you're significantly overdrawing and gaining a few extra pounds of force, you may need more heavily-spined arrows to compensate.

Hence the reason i need to get "re-tuned." My bow is draw weights at 52 pounds on a 44-inch draw. I over draw to nearly 52 inches or more. Thing is, my bow was last tuned over 10 years ago when i was measured. I've grown since then. So my bow is really out of tune. But since it seems to work all right, i've been using it without any major issues. It's going to need re-stringing soon anyway, so when i get it re-strung i may have it re-tuned then.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

A. A. Aaron

How do you 'tune' a bow? Why does it need to be done?