Na'vi archery technique

Started by Ftiaronsem, January 16, 2010, 11:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Technowraith

Quote from: A. A. Aaron on February 01, 2010, 12:22:32 AM
How do you 'tune' a bow? Why does it need to be done?

Tuning is actually something that's done to modern compound bows, and not to longbows or recurves. On a modern day compound bow (for example, one used for hunting), you can "Tune" the draw by adjusting screws on the pulleys. In my case, to get "Tuned" i'll have to get a larger bow, since my bow as it is is "technically too small" to support my draw. Getting Tuned means to adjust the bow's draw weight (the amount of "effort" it takes to pull the string back, expressed in pounds) so it's approximate to your draw length (the distance you pull the bow string back when you shoot an arrow). A bow that is weighted too heavily makes it harder to pull the string. (But gives you more power behind your arrow). A bow that is not weighted heavily enough makes it easier to pull the string back, but doesn't provide enough power to launch your arrow as far. So you need to get a draw weight that is approximate to your draw length. If this seems foreign, the easiest way to get help is to go to a bow shop and asked to get measured for a beginner bow.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

A. A. Aaron

Quote from: Technowraith on February 01, 2010, 04:48:25 AM
Quote from: A. A. Aaron on February 01, 2010, 12:22:32 AM
How do you 'tune' a bow? Why does it need to be done?

Tuning is actually something that's done to modern compound bows, and not to longbows or recurves. On a modern day compound bow (for example, one used for hunting), you can "Tune" the draw by adjusting screws on the pulleys. In my case, to get "Tuned" i'll have to get a larger bow, since my bow as it is is "technically too small" to support my draw. Getting Tuned means to adjust the bow's draw weight (the amount of "effort" it takes to pull the string back, expressed in pounds) so it's approximate to your draw length (the distance you pull the bow string back when you shoot an arrow). A bow that is weighted too heavily makes it harder to pull the string. (But gives you more power behind your arrow). A bow that is not weighted heavily enough makes it easier to pull the string back, but doesn't provide enough power to launch your arrow as far. So you need to get a draw weight that is approximate to your draw length. If this seems foreign, the easiest way to get help is to go to a bow shop and asked to get measured for a beginner bow.
I understand. If I could actually get some time free from work I'd really like to get into this hobby. Seems like it would be challenging and fun.

kharvilak

I understand. If I could actually get some time free from work I'd really like to get into this hobby. Seems like it would be challenging and fun.

Aye, archery is definitely that.  Competition shooting aside, it is really a test of oneself.  It just you against the target.  The target is consistent (unless you are hunting), and for the most part, the bow is consistent.  What needs to adjust to improve is the archer.

Omatikaya'itan

I agree im not much into competition but i do bow hunt and while bow hunting a person must change multiple times to make up for distance and wind and all that

Ayfa'liyä omumyu

Sorry to necropost, but surprisingly I didn't see any other relevant threads in a search. Anyway, came across this on another forum, which shows use of an inverted hand in draw and release.

Archery - Fast Shooting (Murmansk)

Niri Te

There is a Ancient Church in Europe, with an inscription carved over the doors. Translated into English, the inscription reads "GOD SAVE US FROM THE ARROWS OF THE HUNGARIAN HORSEMEN".

Look at this video, and you will know why. It has a few minutes of the competitors beating on drums, just watch that, or fast forward it, to see the competition on running horses, sometimes shooting over their shoulders. Pay particular attention to the woman dressed in black.

kassai_05_09.mpg

Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Ayfa'liyä omumyu on January 22, 2012, 11:40:18 AM
Sorry to necropost, but surprisingly I didn't see any other relevant threads in a search. Anyway, came across this on another forum, which shows use of an inverted hand in draw and release.

Eltur tìtxen si, although the Na'vi arrow-carrying method should also be noted: they carry their arrows against the bow with the nocking hand.  Seems kinda difficult to draw arrows with speed that way unless you know what you're doing :P

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Kamean

Mllte, eltur tìtxen si nìngay. :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Tsufätu Ayioangä

I went out shooting today and tried a few different variations, including shooting with the draw hand backwards like the Na'vi.  This made my arrow fly off to the side rather then straight when I managed to shoot it at all.  Mostly it just twisted the string and made it fall off the rest no matter how much I angled the bow.

How do fix?

I should note that I am not left handed like Neytiri shoots.