Na'vi archery technique

Started by Ftiaronsem, January 16, 2010, 11:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A. A. Aaron

Quote from: gnátxere on January 20, 2010, 09:29:40 PM
i don't think the lower gravity would effect how fast it slowed down as much as the arc, and it'd only be slowed down who knows how little. *snip*
It wouldn't. The increase in drag due to the denser atmosphere would slow it down. The drag vs. lower gravity situation that I described above would occur in a situation where the arrow is shot in a long arc, going for as much distance as possible.

In a short shot, say while hunting, the lower gravity would be a non-issue. The enemy would be the increased drag. You'd need to send the arrow with greater force to ensure a lethal shot. This must be why the Na'vi draw their bows back so far. (what seems like a longer draw to us is just normal to them - a matter of necessity)

kintìomum

Quote from: A. A. Aaron on January 20, 2010, 09:49:26 PM
(snip)This must be why the Na'vi draw their bows back so far. (what seems like a longer draw to us is just normal to them - a matter of necessity)
Good point. I was discussing the archery and pull without really thinking thinking on the added drag.
I've had a look in the ASG, there's a handy table: The planet Pandora is slightly smaller than Earth with "roughly" the same elements in the build-up. This results in lower gravity (20% less).
The atmosphere is -mainly due to the for humans toxicly high concentration of CO² and a load of Xenon- a lot denser but in combination with the lower gravity it adds up to an above ground pressure of just 10% more.
So, I guess the most shots a Na'vi will do in his live are rather short ones -think about line-of-sight in woods- where the lower gravity really isn't that much of an effect. The additional friction of a denser atmosphere is much more of a concern, but you'll pretty fast get used to it.
The first some shots you do when you have been taught how to shoot was on Earth will fall short but after some hours (and a lot of pain in the fingertipps) you'll have adjusted.
For the Na'vi it's no matter at all. They just learn that they have to pull the bow that far out.
It even seems as if every shot they take is made with maximum pull und the target is more adjusted by aiming the flight arc (I tend to experiment with more-or-less pull, bad habit).
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

This is making me want to explore archery, but alas I have the puniest arms ever...
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

gnátxere

i've always been a fan of archery, my dad's big on hunting, does both rifle and bow hunting, but i've always been more interested in archery as a sport than for hunting, at least until i get to be a good shot. but i've still never got around to getting myself a bow to practice with. i think i'm goona have to get one after the movie though. definately renewed my interest.

A. A. Aaron

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 21, 2010, 12:09:48 AM
This is making me want to explore archery, but alas I have the puniest arms ever...

You shouldn't let that stop you. Look into some classes near you. Many ranges offer very cheap or free introductory classes. Give it a try - you might find that it's easier than you think.

gnátxere

Quote from: A. A. Aaron on January 21, 2010, 01:11:43 AM

Many ranges offer very cheap or free introductory classes.

ya, but they won't teach the na'vi style of holding the bow or anything ;D, lol, oh well, agree doesn't matter if you have short arms or not, give it a go anyways.

kintìomum

@ Tìng Eywatikìte'e
Go for a try, shouldn't be too ahrd to find somewhere to take a look.
And if you're really lucky you can even find a medieval crafts course near you and spend a weekend working your own bow. Then you'll get one that really matches your body size...
And puny arms really aren't that much of a drawback. Just means that you'll end up with a smaller bow.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Maybe one day. Right now I live in the middle of a small city, so I have the double disadvantage of not having any good shops around AND having no place to practice where I don't risk hitting someone's kid >.> I'm guessing they wouldn't like that...
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

kintìomum

Look at me, almost the same. I invested a small fortune (naa, not really) and bought a special web to catch the arrows.
Believe me, there will be a lot, especially when you start :)
Now, hanging the web in our backyard and placing the straw bag in front: No one get's in risk of being hurt.
Except of my uncles dog, who find's it so friggin' funny to run and get the arrows... That lady's some kinda guided super arrow...

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I have no yard, I live in an appartment building >.> I'm guessing they wouldn't like me shooting in the courtyard...
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

kintìomum

Valid point.
I think we should either stop here or begin using PMs before we get slapped for massive off-topicing (that's no word, no?)...

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Yes yes! Back on topic please!

Any other archery experts out there that can give us more insight on their technique?
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Swok Txon

I'm not an arcehry expert by any means but if the Na'vi arrows are ridiculously long, how large would the bows be?

gnátxere

if they built them off of the design for a longbow as it seems they are, which is what the britains used often and were designed for an extra long draw, then the bows should be around questionmark 85% hight of the wielder when made to fit, so for a 9-10 ft tall na'vi that'd be somewhere around 8ft long bow, and someone said the arrows the na'vi carried are as long as their bows but it looked closer to 75%, either way one of those arrows is taller than an extremely tall human.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Which is shown whenever a human is shot down...
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

WolfyJ

Just a quick note no one mentioned yet (i think); Im a righty and I hold the bow with my left hand and draw back with my right. Shes doing it reversed.

gnátxere

the thing i found most interesting about their archery is what hand they use though, i'm used to pulling back with my dominant hand while the na'vi use their dominant hand to hold tha bow itself, wondering about the significance in that and how it would effect your shooting and everything.

i stated this earlier in the thread,
i noticed that jake is also right handed but shoots the same asd the rest of the na'vi, it's part of their style that their dominant hand aims while their other hand pulls back, i'm just not sure why or what how it effects your shooting if comparen to how most humans shoot now with their dominant hand pulling back.

Technowraith

Quote from: gnátxere on January 21, 2010, 08:39:32 PM
the thing i found most interesting about their archery is what hand they use though, i'm used to pulling back with my dominant hand while the na'vi use their dominant hand to hold tha bow itself, wondering about the significance in that and how it would effect your shooting and everything.

i noticed that jake is also right handed but shoots the same asd the rest of the na'vi, it's part of their style that their dominant hand aims while their other hand pulls back, i'm just not sure why or what how it effects your shooting if comparen to how most humans shoot now with their dominant hand pulling back.

Your dominant hand can actually serve to help you aim better or give you more power on your draw. I'm a righty, but i draw lefty. I can draw righty, but for some reason i have a harder time aiming lefty. It's most likely due to just using my right hand to aim all the time, and not being used to aiming left handed. In general, it comes down to whatever works for the archer.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

gnátxere

Quote from: Technowraith on January 21, 2010, 08:44:58 PM
Quote from: gnátxere on January 21, 2010, 08:39:32 PM

Your dominant hand can actually serve to help you aim better or give you more power on your draw. I'm a righty, but i draw lefty. I can draw righty, but for some reason i have a harder time aiming lefty. It's most likely due to just using my right hand to aim all the time, and not being used to aiming left handed. In general, it comes down to whatever works for the archer.

thank you for the answer tech, i'm probably goona give it a try next time i have a chance, i've practiced with my right hand pulling whenever i've shot a bow, but that's still only a very small amount so it shouldn't be too hard to switch if it works better for me.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

That makes sense. You have more control with your dominant hand, which is far more important than mere strength when dealing with archery.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng