Na'vi cosmology

Started by Eyawng te Klltepayu, November 23, 2010, 11:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyawng te Klltepayu

Has there been any speculation as to what the Na'vi creation myth might be like? Do we know whether the Na'vi attribute any kind of spiritual significance to Polyphemus and its other satellites?
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

Sireayä mokri

I think we'll need to wait until sequel for such questions to be answered.
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Topec

I agree with Sireayä mokri, though I would think that Polyphemus, its other moons, and also the other stars in the Alpha Centauri system would be important to the Na'vi; just look at other cultures throughout time, especially Native Americans and the Aztecs who relied on celestial movements for many things. I would bet that the eye of Polyphemus (the equivalent of Jupiter's Great Red Spot) has a place in Na'vi folklore.

Tanhì-ean

There has to some kind of belief of the stars, moons, and planets. If you notice, the na'vi called the human, Sky People. There have been many cultures here on Earth that have used the name Sky People or close to it. That is one fact towards the cosmology.
Formerly known as Eywal ngaru teing oeti.

Human No More

They might not have one. I'd say that based on the name sky people, they didn't even have a full understanding of the mechanics of the solar system - in Grace's school, there is a model of Polyphemus and its moons.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Tanhì-ean

They still could've had a belief of the planets, moons, and stars before that school opened. I don't think we dismiss this, since we don't have enough information. Maybe the second movie will show some light.
Formerly known as Eywal ngaru teing oeti.

Sireayä mokri

They just got to have some kind of beliefs of Polyphemus, since they see this blue giant on the sky every night.
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Human No More

Wanting to understand why (even without any actual evidence) is a human trait which others may not necessarily share. They may certainly think about Polyphemus a lot, but I'd guess they just appreciate it's beauty for what it is.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Ekirä

Quote from: Human No More on November 25, 2010, 11:12:20 PM
Wanting to understand why (even without any actual evidence) is a human trait which others may not necessarily share. They may certainly think about Polyphemus a lot, but I'd guess they just appreciate it's beauty for what it is.

Sran, the human race has an obsession to know everything...and although we don't know that the Na'vi are different in that sense, it would seem an admirable trait to me. To just be able to accept what is and not question why.

Txur’Itan

I think James Cameron is taking a secular approach to the culture of the Na'vi, but he might inadvertently stick in some human influences here and there, they would not be out of place, since the Na'vi are his creation after all.

I think that dismissing the existence of cosmology based on the possibility of no more than a singular Human or Na'vi pathos is premature.
私は太った男だ。