Na'vi couples...hetro, homo etc/.

Started by 'Ì'awn Menari, August 22, 2010, 08:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archaic

OK, here's my two cents.
Neytiri says that Na'vi mate for life, does that mean that when a partner dies the surviving partner can or can't have another mate?
If they can't, then that kind of rules out practicing bi relationships, but not latent orientation.
I don't think we see any same sex couples in the movie, but then there's so much that isn't shown.

I don't know why, but I see Na'vi society not accepting same sex mated partners. As hunter gatherers who are potentially a prey species, there would be pressure to reproduce to ensure the survival of the race.
To me, these two things seem incomparable within the context of the overall life style. But I could be wrong.

Please note, I am not homophobic.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Kì'eyawn

Ma archaic, you bring up a good point—that is, survival. 

You may be interested to know that one of the evolutionary theories about why homosexuality (or, at least, homosexual behavior) is found in many social species is that those individuals who don't themselves reproduce might invest time and energy helping to take care of their relatives.  We already know that, on Earth, many species of birds will forego breeding in their first year of adulthood and instead help their parents raise their younger siblings.  So, it's not a stretch to say that having "Uncle Bill and his 'friend' Tom" around to help with the kids might make things easier—More hunters in the family, but fewer young mouths to feed.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Ataeghane

I've been reading this thread for quite a long time and there is one question I would like to ask. What were neolithic human societies saying about homosexual / bisexual relations? We could always compare...

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Ataeghane on January 07, 2011, 12:56:55 PM
I've been reading this thread for quite a long time and there is one question I would like to ask. What were neolithic human societies saying about homosexual / bisexual relations? We could always compare...

Mllte! I'd also like to know. Was wondering about that exact question the other day :)

ToktorGrace

Quote from: Ataeghane on January 07, 2011, 12:56:55 PM

I have my own theory that bisexual tendencies, especially amongst females, would likely have helped keep good relations between family-groups while the females were stuck around rearing kids and gathering food nearby while males left to hunt. Bonobos use sexual acts as general interaction to improve social relations (both homosexual and heterosexual) and I could easily see this being the case for humans as well, especially before humans became "civilized".
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Hufwe ta'em

I do believe Na'vi accept Homosexual couple because i see no point why they can't. Of course Eywa watch for the Balance of Life but what she can do when two Spirit love each other. In our Culture Native American, we accept this and we call them Two-Spirit People.

Ataeghane

QuoteI do believe Na'vi accept Homosexual couple because i see no point why they can't.
I see no point why can't humans accept homosexual couples, but some of them, unfortunatelly, don't.

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

Teyl Maktoyu Ayfìwopxä

Yes, unfortunately, a friend of mine admitted he was homosexual, not so long ago, I don't care, a friend still is a friend, you choose friends not for they're sexual oppinion, or how they look, but for who they are.

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Ataeghane on January 08, 2011, 08:09:15 AM
QuoteI do believe Na'vi accept Homosexual couple because i see no point why they can't.
I see no point why can't humans accept homosexual couples, but some of them, unfortunatelly, don't.

Well said.

Ma Truro, ngeyä säfpìl oeyä eltur tìtxen seiyi.  And yes, you're absolutely right; bonobos have a lot of sex with just about everybody.  We could learn a thing or two from them, i think ;)

Ma Hufwa Ta'em, that's interesting.  I've heard of Two-Spirit People, but i didn't know how widespread that idea is among indigenous cultures.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Lolet

Having a lot of sex with everybody sounds rather dangerous.  :o

Ekirä

Quote from: Lolet on January 08, 2011, 12:38:44 PM

Have you read Stranger in a Strange Land?

true Navi

there is no guy or lesbian na'vi trust me

if there was they would be accepted but i not know guy na'vi

onest

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: true Navi on January 08, 2011, 02:24:43 PM

Because you were personally acquainted with every single Na'vi in your previous life as a Na'vi?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Lolet

Quote from: Ekirä on January 08, 2011, 02:17:01 PM

No, but it sounds rather familiar.

Ekirä

Quote from: Lolet on January 08, 2011, 02:53:33 PM

Yeah, it's very famous. An interesting read....

Lolet

Quote from: Ekirä on January 08, 2011, 03:02:23 PM
Quote from: Lolet on January 08, 2011, 02:53:33 PM

Yeah, it's very famous. An interesting read....

What's it about? S-E-X?  ;)

true Navi

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on January 08, 2011, 02:42:48 PM

Because you were personally acquainted with every single Na'vi in your previous life as a Na'vi?

not to all na'vi but not ever seen gay na'vi

anyway gay not the na'vi way even thou gay na'vi would be accepted

believe or not but na'vi mate only to continue population but still get pleasure from it

wm.annis

Quote from: true Navi on January 08, 2011, 03:06:40 PMbelieve or not but na'vi mate only to continue population but still get pleasure from it

The role play forum is over here.

Lolet

Quote from: true Navi on January 08, 2011, 03:06:40 PM
Quote from: Kì'eyawn on January 08, 2011, 02:42:48 PM

not to all na'vi but not ever seen gay na'vi

anyway gay not the na'vi way even thou gay na'vi would be accepted

believe or not but na'vi mate only to continue population but still get pleasure from it

How would you know that?  ???