Na'vi couples...hetro, homo etc/.

Started by 'Ì'awn Menari, August 22, 2010, 08:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Säfpìltu

It's still very doubtful we'll ever get any official answer to this, so all we can really do is to try looking at what we've got, the inspiration for Pandora and na'vi and "common sense". Final conclusions might never be drawn...
Säfpìltu te Na'rìng Meuiaeywayä'itan.

Ekirä

Quote from: Säfpìltu on January 20, 2011, 02:33:46 PM
It's still very doubtful we'll ever get any official answer to this, so all we can really do is to try looking at what we've got, the inspiration for Pandora and na'vi and "common sense". Final conclusions might never be drawn...

Agreed, I doubt this matter will be tackled in either of the sequels as it would be in JC's best interest to keep the more controversial matters out of his movies. He'll reach a larger audience that way.

Kop: ma Säfpìltu, I LOVE your profile pic!!! ;D

Säfpìltu

Quote from: Ekirä on January 20, 2011, 02:47:20 PM
Agreed, I doubt this matter will be tackled in either of the sequels as it would be in JC's best interest to keep the more controversial matters out of his movies. He'll reach a larger audience that way.

Perhaps there'll be some hints in the book... We'll just have to wait and see.

And thank you for that comment. It's quite low quality - I've been making it today while browsing this forum.  ;D

archaic

Quote from: Säfpìltu on January 20, 2011, 02:55:54 PM
Quote from: Ekirä on January 20, 2011, 02:47:20 PM

Perhaps there'll be some hints in the book... We'll just have to wait and see.

And thank you for that comment. It's quite low quality - I've been making it today while browsing this forum.  ;D
This could be settled with one brief image in one of the sequels, maybe back of shot. It could be quick and subtle, but I can't see it happening.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Säfpìltu

Well, we can hope... Or you could petition Cameron somehow...  :o

Ataeghane

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

ToktorGrace

Even as someone who's got a lot of connections to the GLBTQ community I feel like this topic isnt really important enough to be featured in the films, though I would like to know from Cameron about it as some sort of side interview or something! ;D
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Säfpìltu

Or in the book. One short line would do a lot...

ToktorGrace

I suspect that a book series may end up happening, similar to the dozens of books spawned after Star Wars became so popular (and I suspect that perhaps some of these books will end up being written by members of this very website!)

That would be pretty nifty :3
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Amaya

Quote from: Truro (Tìvawm'ia) on January 22, 2011, 08:09:04 PM
I suspect that a book series may end up happening, similar to the dozens of books spawned after Star Wars became so popular (and I suspect that perhaps some of these books will end up being written by members of this very website!)

That would be pretty nifty :3

This is totally my dream!  Of course if I want to impress anyone with my writing I should be working on my fic instead of trawling the forum...

Anyway, back on topic, somebody posted something from the wiki on the CE Bluray on one of the biological threads about reproduction, and I noted in it that there WAS a brief mention that both male/male and female/female relationships do occur although they're rare.  I'll try to find the relevent note and link.

EDIT:  here's the link (although there is at least one obvious error in it, so take with a grain of salt...)  http://forum.learnnavi.org/navi-customs-and-culture/are-navi-placental-mammals/msg398008/#msg398008

Säfpìltu

I have that disc, but currently not a blu-ray player to view it on, so I can't go check for accuracy. But if this is true, we've got what we need, don't we?

Edit: This (http://www.avatar-forums.com/showthread.php?t=14012&page=1 ) seems to confirm it. Perhaps. I'll keep looking.

Edit 2: Seems like both articles have been written by the same person. I'm not 100% sure that this is all accurate. For example "Na'vi females have two breasts, and nurse their infants for up to four months," controversies with JC's statement (in a Playboy interview) that na'vi females have tits despite not being placental mammals...

Edit 3: This here seems to support it: File name: Pandorapedia.pdf File size: 2.49 MB, it appears to be taken from the blu-ray through optical character recognition.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Amaya on January 22, 2011, 08:15:48 PM
EDIT:  here's the link (although there is at least one obvious error in it, so take with a grain of salt...)  http://forum.learnnavi.org/navi-customs-and-culture/are-navi-placental-mammals/msg398008/#msg398008
Ah, thank you for that interesting link! :) The key sentence which interests us here is:

QuoteNa'vi males are typically pair bonded with females, but male-male and female-female permanent bonds are not uncommon.

I like the appellation not uncommon. This would imply that there's a fair amount of them, although still remaining minority. Since the source is probably not 100% reliable, the statement can't be taken as the absolute truth, though.. I wish we had some quote from Cameron or something, instead! :D

Säfpìltu

Well, until anyone falsify or contradict (with a 100% reliable source) the accuracy of this, I'm considering it canon.

Eyamsiyu

... I'll be honest, I saw the Music Theory chapter, and I was greatly distracted... XD

It should not be taken as canon just yet.  I wish it could...

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Säfpìltu

Well, if it's from the CE blu-ray, as it claims to be, I'm guessing we'll see someone disputing its accuracy quite soon, if it's really not canon. Until then...

Human No More

Quote from: Säfpìltu on January 23, 2011, 05:18:07 AM

Edit 2: Seems like both articles have been written by the same person. I'm not 100% sure that this is all accurate. For example "Na'vi females have two breasts, and nurse their infants for up to four months," controversies with JC's statement (in a Playboy interview) that na'vi females have tits despite not being placental mammals...

That interview isn't canon, it was made at an early stage of development and is full of errors. The survival guide and comments from JC afterwards definitely show that they are mammals, as do several deleted scenes.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

this is a very interesting discussion, and like previous members have brought up, it could go either way. being homosexual myself, I believe it can either be nature or nurture. depends on the person, honestly.

the Na'vi seem to take mating very seriously in their culture, and if a Na'vi is born to not be attracted to the opposite sex, it could be problematic. however, how do we know that it's possible for the Na'vi to have the 'gay gene'? there are many animals in this world that have been known to mate homosexually, but most stay heterosexual for reproduction.

on the other side, it would seem to me that the Na'vi are very accepting of each other, and that if homosexuality is possible, that Eywa and the Olo'eyktan would be accepting of it though it does not result in reproduction.
old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.

Mesireatu

Quote from: ToktorGrace on January 09, 2011, 04:44:46 PM
Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AM
*GASP*  Actually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Haha ... xD Don't forget the lesbian Na'vi!!!

Kaltxì ma frapo!
Oel kameie ayngati! Actually, just today, I signed up for Miss Gay Norway. Keep your fingers crossed.. Eywa ayngahu Kìyavame
Varför minns jag alla dåliga vitsar, men glömmer alla infix i Na'vi?? ???
Why do I remember all bad jokes, but forget all the infixes in Na'vi?? :-[

Jag älskar dig, Sara L!!
Nga yawne lu oer, Sara L!!

Tìtstewan

*2 year old thread* ;D
Interesting thread hrh.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Mesireatu

Kaltxì ma Tìstwan!  ;)
Oel kameie ngati! When I looked for new threads, this one come up.. I didn't look on the date..  :-[ Eywa ngahu Kìyevame
Varför minns jag alla dåliga vitsar, men glömmer alla infix i Na'vi?? ???
Why do I remember all bad jokes, but forget all the infixes in Na'vi?? :-[

Jag älskar dig, Sara L!!
Nga yawne lu oer, Sara L!!