Na`vi customs

Started by squig95, December 31, 2009, 10:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

Yeah I'd agree. It's probably the sensing ability of Eywa throughout Pandora that allows the ability of the moss to glow. Jake Sully was able to attract the seeds of the Tree of Souls, that was definately not coincidential. Eywa has the ability to sense things and even spiritually, sensing that Jake Sully was to save the Na'vi and to become Toruk Makto and thus saving him from Neytiri's arrow.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

The thing I love about the movie is that there were biological reasons weaved among the spiritual ones. One could reason the seeds were attracted to an electrical energy that would match up with Toruk. Still there was a lovely balance that allowed the spiritual aspects to remain even when explained with science. They are just two different ways of saying the same thing and neither way is any less or more real.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

swok hawnu ma Eywa

It was still interesting to see how even though Jake was a uniltìranyu, the Seeds of the Sacred Tree landed on him.  Also, Eywa heard and answered his prayer right before the Na'vi were about to be defeated.
Irayo, Eywa

Uniltìranyu

Quote from: Tskxäozì Ewaoe on January 01, 2010, 06:37:15 PM
The hammocks are a type of plant there. They obviously are able to sense when an object touches them and then curl up (we have similar, but smaller, plants on Earth).
It is my understanding that some members of the tribe weave those hammocks, and that they are not an individual plant; yet that bit about curling around the occupant is quite interesting.
Eywa ayngahu, frapo nìNa'vi paylltxeie...
May Eywa be with you, all Na'vi speakers.

Eywayä Nantang

I JUST GOT MA BOOK! its is very sìltsan, i love it so far. I definantly recommend it for all ;D Avatar: an activist survival guide
My personal mantra: "Do not growl at them, or hiss,or do anything that makes you seem a little crazy and/or an animal"

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

I also have to wonder what role women play in the Na'vi customs. Its obvious that men are seen as warriors and are given the special ceremony (only citied as being for those 'becoming a man'), but when Jake was choosing his ikran, there was a female Na'vi with them. Then there's also Neytiri's abilities and prowess as a hunter that shows women aren't totally expected to just sit in the tree and take care of the young. Any insight?
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

Eywayä Nantang

Well, the Na'vi people are equal in a way, both men and women can have the same jobs, yet the Tsahìk is very important. She interprets the will of Eywa thefore the will of the tribe
My personal mantra: "Do not growl at them, or hiss,or do anything that makes you seem a little crazy and/or an animal"

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

Right, which I completely appreciate, but I wonder if the ceremony Jake took to 'become a man' is really limited to just men, or if that's an interpretation we've all gained from listening to the english dialogue.
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Agreed. So far the only separation of gender we have seen so far is between the matriarch and patriarch of the tribe. The patriarch seems to deal with battles and the physical daily life while the matriarch deals with the spiritual, but they are seen as equals. This would suggest that there is a slight division of labor, but it is no where near the level we are used to as humans.

I doubt the ceremony Jake went through is just for men as he clearly stated "every Na'Vi is born twice."
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Eywayä Nantang

They might have a ceremony for "becoming a woman" that is a version of the "becoming a man" yet slighty different, but i would assume that there is both

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

Brings me back though to the idea that if males and females are truly equal in the tribe, then why have we only seen male warriors other than Neytiri? I don't remember the women doing anything but clutching the children and running away during the violence...

Of course, that's just with the forest tribe, wasn't the coastal tribe led by a woman?

Eywayä Nantang

srane it is, you dont see this in the movie, but there are female guards, hunters and warriors

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Well remember that Jake was talking to big bad head marine when he said it was "becoming a man" so he may have just been trying to appeal to his masculinity to convince him to let him go. I think it simply is the process of becoming an adult.

I think you do see female warriors in the fight to protect Hometree, they're just in the background.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Eywayä Nantang

Another thing i find interesting, although cat-like in appearence, the Na'vi culture is more similair to that of wolves.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

In the sense that they live in a group and sometimes hunt in packs yeah, but they have been shown hunting alone as well and seem to have reasonably equal footing among the tribe. The patriarch and matriarch figures are not full alpha dogs, the people have "the right to speak" and voice opinions through out the tribe.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

See, I never really associated them with another animal (besides being a complete lion look-alike) but its absolutely fascinating how much their culture reflects traditional native american tribes. I'm part cherokee so I spent the entire movie going "dear god, its Custer's last stand!" But everything from their ceremonies, their appreciation of the natural world around them, and their hierarchies reflect many of the tribes in the US.

Eywayä Nantang

a misconception in wolfpack is that alphas have total control, that is not true. They ensure the rules and order of the tribe, yet all wolves have some freedom, although not as much as the alphas. The alphas in a wolf pack are to provide structure, some may have higher ranks such as beta, but all wolves have a unique standing in the pack. And, also like the Na'vi, they take what is needed, nothing more or less, and help provide balance.Wolves may hunt alone or start a new pack, but they are stronger in numbers. Male and female are equal in wolf packs, like the Na'vi, and they mate for life as well

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Yes, there are similarities then, though I'm hesitant still to relate them to any one animal as I don't think that's what Cameron had in mind. What he did want is for you to relate to them in the sense of the Native Americans, fierce warriors who connected to the land, though they are certainly a unique culture too! (Is an anthropology student, I love this stuff!) They relate to many shaman centered tribes found through out Earth in their customs and their personal relationship with their god, which is strengthened due to their literal connection to their world.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Eywayä Nantang

I agree,i am some Comanche and Cherokee, i guess thats one of the things that drew me in.. i even follow some native american beliefs

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Once I get the guide book and have some time I plan to write a brief anthropological paper about them.

That was the one thing that bugged me about the movie. Why was Grace, a botanist, given supposedly the head position of interaction with the tribe. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have an anthropologist take the lead, the have the training and experience with integrating and learning completely foreign cultures. They would have learned from the Na'Vi with out giving the idea that their "cup is full."
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng