Na`vi customs

Started by squig95, December 31, 2009, 10:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squig95

Hi
is there anywhere on this site that explanes the navi customs? like the whole i see u thing?
thanks

Eywayä Nantang

In short "I See you" is a greeting, in reference to a spiritual See, not physical.Almost like i see your soul, i see who you are.

{please correct me if im wrong} I have the game which goes a little into depth of the customs, just let me know if y'all want me to put something together
My personal mantra: "Do not growl at them, or hiss,or do anything that makes you seem a little crazy and/or an animal"

squig95

i thought so, but is there a list of how to adress diferent people, different rituals they perform when doing certain tasks and all that other formal stuff? or is there only the languige here and not the customs

Eywayä Nantang

Well,if some people would like me too, i will create a document with some of the customs.Heck, i might thow some flora and fauna in there as well
My personal mantra: "Do not growl at them, or hiss,or do anything that makes you seem a little crazy and/or an animal"

swok hawnu ma Eywa

Well, some of the customs include the ritual of a Na'vi becoming a man. That is also the ritual that Jake must preform to be accepted into the tribe that he encounters.  Also the main Na'vi tribe in the movie goes to the Tree of Voices to pray, and if they are lucky, it answers back.
They also have a wisewoman/wiseman in the tribe.  Jake is examined by the wisewoman in the movie. She is the one who says he can or cannot stay in the tribe.  But she says that he can stay.
And in answer to the "I see you" thing, it is spiritual as you said Eywayä Nantang.  It means not that they literally see them, but that they acknowlege their spirit, their soul, their being.
Another is that Eywa gives everything life, and that that thing must one day give it back.
I hope that this helps, if even in a small way! :)
Irayo, Eywa

Eywayä Nantang

Oh also, Songs are a big part of their culture. And they go on spirit walks or quests like the Native Americans. They have specific roles, alot like a wolf pack. Eywa is also a very big part of everything, being their Godess. They honor life and only kill when it is needed. They believe that all living things have spirits, and that in the end you must go back to Eywa. Those are just more of the few

swok hawnu ma Eywa

Srane they are.  There are also many more.
Irayo, Eywa

Eywayä Nantang

I think i will make a thing on customs.... not sure what to call it though. Srung,srane?  And i need a little info-gathering tsmukan *ulte tsmuke to help me out                                   *would that be fu? or would i have to add something to fu to make it right?

swok hawnu ma Eywa

Well tsmukan, you could call it "customs of the Na'vi," to be simple, or you could call it that in Na'vi language.
Irayo, Eywa

Eywayä Nantang

I know that, i would need a little help with the custom stuff, if any one has the book: the activist something or another, i think i have most of it , yet i might need some help

BTW it would be tsmuke ;)

swok hawnu ma Eywa

Well the tsmuke, i'll look around and see if i can help you with any of this. :)
Irayo, Eywa

Eywayä Nantang

swok hawnu ma Eywa

Irayo, Eywa

Jack

I really like the idea behind "I see you". And the song (Avatar theme) is pretty good too ;)

Uniltìranyu

Another custom that they have is that the entire tribe sleeps in the same room/level of Hometree in hammocks suspended from branches of the Tree. If a member of the tribe that is not mated sleeps alone, away from the tribe, they are believed to be in some form of distress. Mated pairs may spend some time alone, away from the rest of the tribe, but it is expected that they return to sleep with the rest of the tribe.
Source: The Activists' Survival Guide
Eywa ayngahu, frapo nìNa'vi paylltxeie...
May Eywa be with you, all Na'vi speakers.

swok hawnu ma Eywa

Quote from: Uniltìranyu on January 01, 2010, 12:29:27 AM
Another custom that they have is that the entire tribe sleeps in the same room/level of Hometree in hammocks suspended from branches of the Tree. If a member of the tribe that is not mated sleeps alone, away from the tribe, they are believed to be in some form of distress. Mated pairs may spend some time alone, away from the rest of the tribe, but it is expected that they return to sleep with the rest of the tribe.
Source: The Activists' Survival Guide
The hammocks are interesting too because when it gets pulled, it curls completely around the person in it.
Irayo, Eywa

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

The hammocks are a type of plant there. They obviously are able to sense when an object touches them and then curl up (we have similar, but smaller, plants on Earth).

swok hawnu ma Eywa

Ah. well it seemed like many of the plants on Pandora had the ability to sense when something touched it
Irayo, Eywa

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

Like the moss-like covering the branches of trees glow under when someone or something steps on it. There's all kinds that were cool.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Well from what I can tell that is the supposed electrical reaction that is happening between all of the living things on Pandora. In a more Na'Vi approach that is the sign that they are connected to Eywa.

I wonder if a human was to walk through the forest if the glow would occur, I'm guessing it would not.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng