Na'vi Divorce? and other mating rituals discussion! (PG-13)

Started by Zefanaya, February 27, 2010, 08:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nìnyu Tìrey

It seems to me that once tsaheylu is made there's no going back.  Ikran only make tsaheylu with one Na'vi, and judging by the "mated for life" I'd guess that the Na'vi feel the same way.  This may be because they feel it's sacred, or maybe after having tsaheylu with one Na'vi, it would totally ruin it with another.  Either way, you can only have it once, so even if there was divorce, you couldn't remarry.  But really, who would want to get in a divorce after bonding so deeply with someone?

Tsu'roen

Yes, I think the same.
The real interesting question is if Na'vi will/can take a new mate if their first mate died or was killed. Is the bond broken by death or does it last as dead Na'vi will become part of Eywa?
"Mated for life" somehow indicates that Na'vi may be open for a new mate after their previous mate had died.
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

Mithcoriel

Well, fact is, no matter how strongly a culture insists that the mating was for life, wouldn't it be physically possible to cheat on your mate with another? To decide to leave your mate against the rules and get together with someone else?

QuoteThis may be because they feel it's sacred, or maybe after having tsaheylu with one Na'vi, it would totally ruin it with another.

...or do you think there could be a blocking mechanism, say, after you tsahaylu'ed with one person, you can't bond with anyone else anymore, it just becomes biologically impossible?

But no, wait, that can't be. In the script, after Neytiri reveals she and Jake mated, Mo'at asks if she is sure of this decision, telling her that if she decides to go through with it, she can't become a tsahik and all. This implies that Neytiri would still be able to undo her decision and marry Tsu'tey after all.
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

Tsa'räni

Mated for life can just as easily be interpreted that both parties are mated for as long as they live, which would mean if your mate dies, you don't take another mate as you're still technically mated.

Zefanaya

Quote from: Mithcoriel on March 01, 2010, 11:32:10 AM
Well, fact is, no matter how strongly a culture insists that the mating was for life, wouldn't it be physically possible to cheat on your mate with another? To decide to leave your mate against the rules and get together with someone else?

QuoteThis may be because they feel it's sacred, or maybe after having tsaheylu with one Na'vi, it would totally ruin it with another.

...or do you think there could be a blocking mechanism, say, after you tsahaylu'ed with one person, you can't bond with anyone else anymore, it just becomes biologically impossible?

But no, wait, that can't be. In the script, after Neytiri reveals she and Jake mated, Mo'at asks if she is sure of this decision, telling her that if she decides to go through with it, she can't become a tsahik and all. This implies that Neytiri would still be able to undo her decision and marry Tsu'tey after all.

Wow, (off topic) this all of a sudden erupted. (on topic) I really wish I had known that Neytiri would not be aloud to become Tsahik after "mating" with Jake, I think that the reason she was given the option to change her mind is because Jake was not really one of the people, yes he was accepted into the tribe but still was viewed as an outsider. (also irayo ma Tsu'reon for asking a question I have asked oh about 7 times now and shifting the discussion slightly)

@ Mithcoriel ...or do you think there could be a blocking mechanism, say, after you tsahaylu'ed with one person, you can't bond with anyone else anymore, it just becomes biologically impossible?

QuoteBut no, wait, that can't be. In the script, after Neytiri reveals she and Jake mated, Mo'at asks if she is sure of this decision, telling her that if she decides to go through with it, she can't become a tsahik and all. This implies that Neytiri would still be able to undo her decision and marry Tsu'tey after all.
sorry but I do not think that there is a blocking mech. I think that after bonding that deeply truly being one with someone, to see every thought and fell every emotion, that would simply not wish to make tsaheylu with any other mate, nor would that mate want to fell what your previous mate had felt (<--- speculation).
Quote from: Tsu'roen on March 01, 2010, 03:35:15 AM
Being polygamous makes mostly sense if there is an imbalance of male and female and if the females have a long pregnancy and the males are not much involved in raising the offspring.
It looked to me like there were as many male as female Na'vi. Also both sexes are warriors and hunters so that losses during hunt and war also wouldn't really cause an imbalance.
Another factor is how much energy has to go into raising the children. I think in that department Na'vi children need about as much care as human children. Given that both, men and women are hunters I'd say both are equally involved in raising their children without any specific preference (though that's just a wild guess).
And so far - apart from a vague idea of the Na'vi sex - we don't know much about their reproduction. Though they have many of the markers of being placental mammals: belly button that indicates an umbilical cord (also seen in that function on the Avatar in their tanks) and obviously also mammary glands (breasts and nipples). I did not notice any pregnant woman but several babies so it may just not have been the right season and all babies were already born.

But one shouldn't forget that Na'vi are an alien species from an alien planet (or moon) and origin from a totally different alien evolutionary path in an alien environment. So any comparison with humans (just because they look human) is risky by default.

I agree with your statement on having a polygamous culture when your culture has an imbalance but as it has been stated bot sexes of the Na'vi fight so the imbalance of a war would not be so bad (we still don;t know how many Na'vi died and how many just retreated I don't think RDA blasted that many out of the sky I think they fell back that is speculation though and off topic), also a big boost in the Omaticayan's population would be bad seeing how they have no home and appear to be living out of the valley grove where Eywa is located. Also someone wrote that it could be that Eywa controls population, I see how that is a possibility with animal life but as stated in this thread the Na'vi are free to do as they wish Eywa did not "stop" Neytiri from shooting Jake when she sent that see of the sacred tree as a sign it was a suggestion if you will Neytiri still could have decided to shoot him. (anyone else notice how Eywa has been or appears to have been on Jakes side since he first set foot... Avatar foot on Pandora she somehow knew he would set them free that is speculation too.

I still agree the most with this thought though
Quote from: Tsa'räni on March 01, 2010, 12:25:55 PM
Mated for life can just as easily be interpreted that both parties are mated for as long as they live, which would mean if your mate dies, you don't take another mate as you're still technically mated.

Irayo niwotx for the great discussion let's keep it going.

Eywa ngahu.

AM 2012 - Uniting the Clans Planning Team
Zephaniah Washington - [email protected]

A Furry - FA: Tirey
AMERICANS FOR PROTECTION OF FREE SPEECH

Tsu'roen

I think the losses in the battle for the Tree of Souls were devastating on both sides. Pretty much 100% on the RDA side and at least 30% on the Na'vi side. Especially the Na'vi air force was wiped of the sky with only Jake left when Eywa intervened.
Those of the Ikran riders that haven't been shot themselves may have survived the fall like Jake if their Ikran were shot down over dense forest or managed a crash-landing like Neytiri but pretty much all the Ikran have been killed.
And the ground forces also had high losses. So I think they really need a baby boom to compensate those losses.
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

Col Quaritch

From what I gather they seem like most other tribal groups. That being said no on devorce if they seperarte it's due to a partner dying. I belive from how it looked it just one for one meaning just man and wife. I don't believe a Na'vi male or female would ever cheat on thier mate I got the impression it was more than just a sexual bonding of two people, like everything else in the world of Pandora connections. Not sure what that might be but I feel once they have their bonding it's physical, mental and spirital.

Zefanaya

Quote from: Col Quaritch on March 01, 2010, 07:04:29 PM
From what I gather they seem like most other tribal groups. That being said no on devorce if they seperarte it's due to a partner dying. I belive from how it looked it just one for one meaning just man and wife. I don't believe a Na'vi male or female would ever cheat on thier mate I got the impression it was more than just a sexual bonding of two people, like everything else in the world of Pandora connections. Not sure what that might be but I feel once they have their bonding it's physical, mental and spirital.

It is far more than a sexual connection it is a connection that a human could not even begin to imagine you are connected to your mate the person you love on every level just like lying was inconceivable to the Na'vi before the tawtute came cheating is something unthinkable to the Na'vi (speculation but I am pretty dang sure I am right).

From what I gather they seem like most other tribal groups. That being said no on devorce if they seperarte it's due to a partner dying. I belive from how it looked it just one for one meaning just man and wife. I don't believe a Na'vi male or female would ever cheat on their mate I got the impression it was more than just a sexual bonding of two people, like everything else in the world of Pandora connections. Not sure what that might be but I feel once they have their bonding it's physical, mental and spiritual.

I agree that there will most likely be more children born than normal when it is child birthing time (I am a fan of the theory that the Na'vi tend to bear children sort of in season I am open to correction). What they really need is an Ikran baby boom.

Eywa ngahu

Rolyu

From what I gather they seem like most other tribal groups. That being said no on devorce if they seperarte it's due to a partner dying.

Which tribes do you speak of?

Txur’Itan

Divorce implies marriage is occurring.  Becoming a Mated Pair is what it was called in the theatrical version.

Grace:
Quote"They become a mated pair"
Neytiri:
Quote"Mated for Life"
Tsu'Tey:
Quote"Have you mated with this woman?"
Mo'at:
Quote"Is this True?"
Neytiri:
Quote"We are mated before Eywa... It is done..."

The event is given a great deal of biological context, and not much social or cultural context except for the one boast of Neytiri which sets off the interactions between Neytiri, Tsu'Tey, Mo'at and Jake up until Jake becomes Toruk Makto.  All of which seems utterly irrelevant once the battle cry starts...

What does this mean?  They don't really get married, they plan to mate for life, that is all we can really know... 

So why would they do that?  The only reason I can think of, they know they are stuck with that mate, so they work the decisions out so it must be the best possible paring for the couple, and the clan.  As an extra measure they have Eywa weigh in during their initial mating at least to see if Eywa rejects the pairing...

Quote from: Tsu'roen on March 01, 2010, 06:51:46 PM

I would like to see a requiem for the dead scene in the sequel which addresses all of the losses in the battle between the Na'vi and the Humans.  This was a very costly conflict for the Na'vi on many levels, it would not make sense to lightly brush it aside.

This amount of loss would definitely lead to new parings, and if they have relative peace, there may be some form of ritual involved that they normally perform, or just more snusnu under the glowing trees. Raise a glass to the sequel on this one.

Technically, if the mating between Tsu'Tey and Neytiri was already known, that implies it was arranged, and possibly a done deal as far as Mo'at and Tsu'Tey and Grace were concerned.  So in a manner of speaking, Neytiri cheated, and quite brazenly.  Which from a social aspect seems like an irrelevant concept other than where Tsu'Tey's personal feelings are involved, and the mating between Neytiri and Jake was given an aspect of finality to it more or less, even if that is not physically true that is was "FINAL".  ???

The film differs from the script considerably here.  Maybe the DVD will be different.
私は太った男だ。

Tsu'roen

Quote from: Txur'Itan on March 02, 2010, 12:44:49 AM
Divorce implies marriage is occurring.  Becoming a Mated Pair is what it was called in the theatrical version.

Grace:
Neytiri:
Quote"Mated for Life"
Tsu'Tey:
Mo'at:
Quote"Is this True?"
Neytiri:

The event is given a great deal of biological context, and not much social or cultural context except for the one boast of Neytiri which sets off the interactions between Neytiri, Tsu'Tey, Mo'at and Jake up until Jake becomes Toruk Makto.  All of which seems utterly irrelevant once the battle cry starts...

What does this mean?  They don't really get married, they plan to mate for life, that is all we can really know... 

So why would they do that?  The only reason I can think of, they know they are stuck with that mate, so they work the decisions out so it must be the best possible paring for the couple, and the clan.  As an extra measure they have Eywa weigh in during their initial mating at least to see if Eywa rejects the pairing...

I would like to see a requiem for the dead scene in the sequel which addresses all of the losses in the battle between the Na'vi and the Humans.  This was a very costly conflict for the Na'vi on many levels, it would not make sense to lightly brush it aside.

This amount of loss would definitely lead to new parings, and if they have relative peace, there may be some form of ritual involved that they normally perform, or just more snusnu under the glowing trees. Raise a glass to the sequel on this one.

Technically, if the mating between Tsu'Tey and Neytiri was already known, that implies it was arranged, and possibly a done deal as far as Mo'at and Tsu'Tey and Grace were concerned.  So in a manner of speaking, Neytiri cheated, and quite brazenly.  Which from a social aspect seems like an irrelevant concept other than where Tsu'Tey's personal feelings are involved, and the mating between Neytiri and Jake was given an aspect of finality to it more or less, even if that is not physically true that is was "FINAL".  ???

The film differs from the script considerably here.  Maybe the DVD will be different.

The script mentioned that Neytiri had an older sister - Sylwanin - who was killed by a SecOps posse after she and her friends set a bulldozer on fire. It is most likely that Sylwanin and Tsu'tey were destined for each other and only after her death Neytiri had to step in. She never seemed to be too enthusiastic about it. There is definitely no attraction to him from her side.
So when Jake showed up and she felt increasingly attracted to him she really didn't thought twice about dumping Tsu'tey. Just watch her interact with both at Iknimaya - formal to even hostile with Tsu'tey, but all excited when Jake passes the test - the first of two that will make him an eligible mate for her.

Eywa seemed to have made other plans than Eytukan and Mo'at and may have intervened if Tsu'tey and Neytiri had attempted to bond. I think on some level Mo'at realized that or may have been influenced by Eywa when she put Neytiri in charge of teaching Jake and with that set them on their course. Also later before, during and after the destruction of Hometree Mo'at seems to have seen something in Jake that the other Na'vi - including Neytiri - didn't see.

I doubt we get too much new insight from the upcoming DVD/Blu-ray release. But we will for sure get more insight when the Novel comes out.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

There doesn't really have to be attraction between the Tsahik and Olo'ekytan, since it seems to be an Na'vi equivilence of an arranged marriage. They need to be partners in order to lead properly. We don't really see a lot of love between Mo'at and Eytukan (sp?), though that could be happening on the side lines, we don't know either way.

We also don't know if the position of Tsahik is hereditary, so there is no proof that Sylwanin was meant to be Tsahik before Neytiri.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Rolyu

Why can't Neytiri be Tsahik of she "mates" with Jake?  Does this change after Tsu'tey dies?

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on March 02, 2010, 12:20:27 PM
There doesn't really have to be attraction between the Tsahik and Olo'ekytan, since it seems to be an Na'vi equivilence of an arranged marriage. They need to be partners in order to lead properly. We don't really see a lot of love between Mo'at and Eytukan (sp?), though that could be happening on the side lines, we don't know either way.

This is an astute observation, and based on other similar discussions about the seemingly public nature of Neytiri's boast, there could be some social quirks we just do not know about preventing P.D.A. from being acceptable in some situations.

There is also the opposing possibility that after years of time having passed in their relationship, things have grown a bit cold between Mo'at and Eytukan, if they were ever passionate with each other.  The wear and tear of living together could have had an as yet unrevealed toll on them.  Some relationships, when they get to a steady state, take considerable effort to stoke the old flames.  Depending on the dynamic of the couple, and their initial interest in each other at the onset of their paring, they could have been on a downward slope towards being cold with each other.

Quote from: Rolyu on March 02, 2010, 03:06:57 PM
Why can't Neytiri be Tsahik of she "mates" with Jake?  Does this change after Tsu'tey dies?

That is from an old script, it should be taken with a grain of salt (not strictly cannon).
私は太った男だ。

Rolyu

It is interesting how when Neytiri and Jake are holding hands, it means they've mated.  XD As humans we hold hands all the time... 

Mithcoriel

QuoteThe script mentioned that Neytiri had an older sister - Sylwanin - who was killed by a SecOps posse after she and her friends set a bulldozer on fire. It is most likely that Sylwanin and Tsu'tey were destined for each other and only after her death Neytiri had to step in. She never seemed to be too enthusiastic about it. There is definitely no attraction to him from her side.

An interesting question. I'd been wondering about that too. (Not just about Neytiri's side, but Tsu'tey's: Was he ever romantically in love with her? Or did he view the arrangement just in a pragmatic way?) But I don't know if that fits the topic...

QuoteWhy can't Neytiri be Tsahik of she "mates" with Jake?  Does this change after Tsu'tey dies?

(I know the script isn't necessarily 100% canon, but...) It would appear that the clan leader and Tsahik must be mates. I'm guessing Tsu'tey is already determined as the next clan leader. If Neytiri cheats on him, you'd either have to make Jake the clan leader instead of Tsu'tey (unthinkable at that time, as he was just a stupid tawtute) , or make whatever mate Tsu'tey chooses the Tsahik instead of Neytiri. And why punish Tsu'tey for the crazy things Neytiri did?
Well, it's alluded at the end of the movie that Jake is the new clan leader now, so yeah, nothing in the way of Neytiri becoming the Tsahik after all.
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Rolyu on March 02, 2010, 04:56:18 PM
It is interesting how when Neytiri and Jake are holding hands, it means they've mated.  XD As humans we hold hands all the time...  

Somewhat, but most likely it is unusual for the Na'vi to hold hands at all in public.  For humans, hand holding tends to allow for all manner of expressions from a basic greeting to Platonic love, and it is considered fairly casual P.D.A. and even a somewhat naturally protective/affectionate thing to do amongst some other Earthly primates.  

This hand holding may not necessarily be viewed as any of the same things as the way Na'vi view hand holding.  Also, it may be that Jake instigated the gesture between him and Neytiri, it is not clear from observations that it is done anywhere else among the Na'vi.

Quote from: Mithcoriel on March 02, 2010, 06:47:20 PM
QuoteThe script mentioned that Neytiri had an older sister - Sylwanin - who was killed by a SecOps posse after she and her friends set a bulldozer on fire. It is most likely that Sylwanin and Tsu'tey were destined for each other and only after her death Neytiri had to step in. She never seemed to be too enthusiastic about it. There is definitely no attraction to him from her side.

An interesting question. I'd been wondering about that too. (Not just about Neytiri's side, but Tsu'tey's: Was he ever romantically in love with her? Or did he view the arrangement just in a pragmatic way?) But I don't know if that fits the topic...

It might be related, if there would have been a divorce, it could have been ugly when emotions flared up.

Quote from: Mithcoriel on March 02, 2010, 06:47:20 PM
QuoteWhy can't Neytiri be Tsahik of she "mates" with Jake?  Does this change after Tsu'tey dies?

(I know the script isn't necessarily 100% canon, but...) It would appear that the clan leader and Tsahik must be mates. I'm guessing Tsu'tey is already determined as the next clan leader. If Neytiri cheats on him, you'd either have to make Jake the clan leader instead of Tsu'tey (unthinkable at that time, as he was just a stupid tawtute) , or make whatever mate Tsu'tey chooses the Tsahik instead of Neytiri. And why punish Tsu'tey for the crazy things Neytiri did?
Well, it's alluded at the end of the movie that Jake is the new clan leader now, so yeah, nothing in the way of Neytiri becoming the Tsahik after all.

It is not entirely clear how one becomes Tsahìk, but it would seem to be fairly easy to become Olo'eyktan if the current one dies (x2).  

While, it would seem that is the case that Clan leader and Tsahìk should be mates, but I do not think we yet have enough information to know that they must be mates.
私は太った男だ。

Zefanaya

Quote from: Txur'Itan on March 02, 2010, 12:44:49 AM
Divorce implies marriage is occurring.  Becoming a Mated Pair is what it was called in the theatrical version.

Grace:
Neytiri:
Quote"Mated for Life"
Tsu'Tey:
Mo'at:
Quote"Is this True?"
Neytiri:

The event is given a great deal of biological context, and not much social or cultural context except for the one boast of Neytiri which sets off the interactions between Neytiri, Tsu'Tey, Mo'at and Jake up until Jake becomes Toruk Makto.  All of which seems utterly irrelevant once the battle cry starts...

What does this mean?  They don't really get married, they plan to mate for life, that is all we can really know...  

So why would they do that?  The only reason I can think of, they know they are stuck with that mate, so they work the decisions out so it must be the best possible paring for the couple, and the clan.  As an extra measure they have Eywa weigh in during their initial mating at least to see if Eywa rejects the pairing...

I would like to see a requiem for the dead scene in the sequel which addresses all of the losses in the battle between the Na'vi and the Humans.  This was a very costly conflict for the Na'vi on many levels, it would not make sense to lightly brush it aside.

Technically, if the mating between Tsu'Tey and Neytiri was already known, that implies it was arranged, and possibly a done deal as far as Mo'at and Tsu'Tey and Grace were concerned.  So in a manner of speaking, Neytiri cheated, and quite brazenly.  Which from a social aspect seems like an irrelevant concept other than where Tsu'Tey's personal feelings are involved, and the mating between Neytiri and Jake was given an aspect of finality to it more or less, even if that is not physically true that is was "FINAL".  ???

The film differs from the script considerably here.  Maybe the DVD will be different.

I agree with what was said (using my moto droid in a mall so i wont go into detail) and nice use of quotes, I believe that this has been answered and I will lock this thread until more information is available, I want to say irayo to ngenga niwotx for giving is a good thread and and a good conversation.

Eywa ngahu.

will unlock per request just personal message me.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

It is interesting how when Neytiri and Jake are holding hands, it means they've mated.  XD As humans we hold hands all the time... 

We don't know if them holding hands was what proved that they were mated. Remember that Tsu'tey was close to the Tree of Voices when they were torn down (i.e. when Jake and Neytiri were spooning) so it's likely that he, or other members of the hunting party, saw them.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Zefanaya

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on March 02, 2010, 10:34:08 PM

We don't know if them holding hands was what proved that they were mated. Remember that Tsu'tey was close to the Tree of Voices when they were torn down (i.e. when Jake and Neytiri were spooning) so it's likely that he, or other members of the hunting party, saw them.

I always assumed that Tsu'te saw them by the tree of souls, but at the time was to shook up and angery to deal with it, when Jake and Neytiri arrived at kelkutrell Tsu;te had had time to go over his thoughts a little (it all sank in) and so he then "dealt with Jake".

and I am going to hold off on locking this as apparently there is still more to discuss I will change the name of the thread as soon as i figure out how.

Eywa ngahu