Na'vi full name structure

Started by Tsu'roen, January 31, 2010, 09:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsu'roen

My impression is that the Na'vi names follow partly a similar structure like Icelandic (traditional Scandinavian) names but with the difference of having an additional family (lineage) name inserted in-between.

The Icelandic name structure is:

Male:
(name) (father's name)+son
Example: Leif Ericson (Leif, son of Eric)

Female:
(name) (father's name)+dottir (dottir=daughter)

Optional in both cases is the use of the mother's name instead the father's.

The Na'vi structure seems to be as follows: (update: added translation)

Male:
(name) te (family) (father's name)+'itan
Example: Tsu'tey te Rongloa Atey'itan
=> Tsu'tey of the Rongloa, son of Atey (reference)

Female:
(name) te (family) (mother's name)+'ite
Example: Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite
=> Neytiri of the Tskaha, daughter of Mo'at

So the son has the father's name + son while the daughter has the mother's name + daughter

How the family (lineage) name works is a bit guesswork since there are no conclusive examples in the movie or script.
It is either the father's or the mother's. Here we would need to know if Na'vi families are patriarchic or matriarchic
Based on the names from the scriptment I'd say the Omatikaya have rather a patriarchic family structure, so the children will most likely get the fathers family name.
But the movie shows that there are also female clan leaders (Ikran people). This may or may not be an indicator that there are also matriarchic clans. We don't know if this varies from clan to clan or if all clans can have a male or female eyktan.  
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

Technowraith

So far, the only thing i do know about Na'vi nomenclature is that they use a single name. I haven't seen or read any evidence of familial nomenclature, either seeing in the movie or reading in the source material from the ASG. I'm not familiar at all with nomenclature, so i wouldn't know exactly waht form or style the Na'vi nomenclature bases itself off of. What i do know is limited, only due to lack of information.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Tsu'roen

Neytiri's full name is in the script and so is Tsu'tey's though the spelling has not been adjusted to Dr. Frommers rules.

The survival guide lists in the Na'vi - English dictionary "te" as "particle used in full names"

In the movie Jake addresses Tsu'tey with his full name when he returned as Toruk Makto.

In this featurette Zoe Saldana also gives Neytiri's full name:
AVATAR - Neytiri Featurette (English)

"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

Technowraith

Quote from: Tsu'roen on January 31, 2010, 10:04:47 AM
Neytiri's full name is in the script and so is Tsu'tey's though the spelling has not been ajusted to Dr. Frommers rules.

The survival guide lists in the Na'vi - English dictionary "te" as "particle used in full names"

In the movie Jake addresses Tsu'tey with his full name when he returned as Toruk Makto.

In this featurette Zoe Saldana also gives Neytiri's full name:
AVATAR - Neytiri Featurette (English)

I hadn't had a chance to fully peruse the Project 880 script.

The word "te" i always thought meant "of" such as Tsu'tey "OF" then family surname. I haven't lookd into this in detail yet. So i do apologize if it comes across as complete cluelessness on my part.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Tsu'roen

I have seen "te" translated as "of the". I'm not sure if that's official but it makes some sense.

The 2007 script contains the following full names:
Neytiri te Ckaha Mo'at'ite
Tsu'tey te Rongloa Ateyitan

The Scriptment (Project 880) has the following full names:
Zuleika te Kaha Polenoma (Neytiri)
Mato'a te Kaha Nahgoitewa (Eytukan)
Mo'at Pohatsua (Mo'at)
Tsu te Rongloa (Tsu'tey)

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

We do know that Na'vi have full names.

With what we've seen I'd say that the Na'vi duel hereditary system. They have leaders of both genders which supports this.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

ShadowedSin

The Na'vi are Bilineal. they recognize the lineages of both mother and father. That is all know of their Kinship system (which would help with naming conventions).

Many older clan/band/tribal groups do not have elaborate naming systems.

Even the Ancient Irish clans did not have a surname system until 1000 AD.

If they have a system that puts emphasis or at least acknowledges lineage, that would mean a possibility that they have something linked to inheritance.
\Shadow's Sin
A Blog discussion Amazon and notes for the Arrow Child Novella!

Arrow Child
An Online Serial Novel and the first story in the Amazon Diaspora Saga.

Technowraith

Did i actually forget to post a response to a quote? Wow... Sorry guys. I had no clue what i had intended to write back there. LoL  ;D :D

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

For shame Techno...for shame

Hmm I wonder what they inherit. There is a chance that the daughter/son of the Olo'ekytan and Tsahík gains a title, though we don't know for sure. 
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

ShadowedSin

We'd have to see more interaction and we didn't see much of that outside of a select few individuals in the Clan.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

Tsu'roen

Another interesting question is if there is any regular cross-mating between different clans. I mean their culture is extremely stable and lasted so far for several millennia - somehow they need to bring in fresh blood or the whole clan becomes inbred.
In human history wars, civil unrest, natural catastrophes, traveling tradesmen and the like took care of stirring the genetic mix once in a while.
But how do the Na'vi avoid becoming inbred?

ShadowedSin

Inter clan marriage is more than possible. The Na'vi though they live far apart have means of long distance travel. There is danger in it, but as Jake showed. It's not hard to send an Ikran out to gather a group. Plus I could see members leaving and joining other Clans as they wished. That's not uncommon in a Band society, if a member finds a problem with one group they just and move to another. This could also be where past warfare resulted. Remember how Tsu'Tey acted with Neytiri? Though mating is done openly, there are some who probably surmise like people do on earth, that they were meant for someone, or that they loved someone. Relationships are fickle and I could see an upset young warrior getting a bunch of friends and playing a prank that resulted in a series of larger altercations.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

Tsa'räni

Quote from: ShadowedSin on February 01, 2010, 02:19:26 AM
Inter clan marriage is more than possible. The Na'vi though they live far apart have means of long distance travel. There is danger in it, but as Jake showed. It's not hard to send an Ikran out to gather a group. Plus I could see members leaving and joining other Clans as they wished. ....

Wasn't there some mention in the movie about once you are Omatikaya, you're always Omatikaya, though?  For some reason that concept is sticking in my head.

Edit - Actually, now that I think about it, the line might have said "The People" rather than the Omatikaya.  Maybe someone remembers better than me.

ShadowedSin

Well, even if you are always Omatikaya, that doesn't prevent them from leaving the Clan's living area to mate outside of the Clan. That just means they recognize Omatikaya membership even when leaving to live in another location.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Well you are only truly an Omatikaya after you've gone through the ceremony Jake did. Perhaps younger Na'vi get to travel to different tribes and "marry" into them before they under go this ritual.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Tsu'roen

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on February 01, 2010, 01:56:00 PM
... Perhaps younger Na'vi get to travel to different tribes and "marry" into them before they under go this ritual.
That seems to be unlikely since the movie suggests you have to pass/survive the dream hunt and become a full clan member to be allowed to chose a mate.
But maybe after that they have to travel to chose a mate outside the clan. Since Jake was already an outsider he wouldn't need to to that - who knows? At this point we just don't know enough.

ShadowedSin

Actually Tsu that's a bit off. The ASG gives a clearer bit of info on the process of the rites of passage.

It goes Uniltaron > Iknimaya > Find your Mate/Full Clan member probably the same as what was called the majority of when a person was of age in European Culture.

Uniltaron is where you discover your spirit animal, only after Iknimaya can you find your mate.

Iknimaya seems to be the basic adult rite of passage.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

Tsu'roen

Quote from: ShadowedSin on February 01, 2010, 05:12:52 PM
Actually Tsu that's a bit off. The ASG gives a clearer bit of info on the process of the rites of passage.

It goes Uniltaron > Iknimaya > Find your Mate/Full Clan member probably the same as what was called the majority of when a person was of age in European Culture.

Uniltaron is where you discover your spirit animal, only after Iknimaya can you find your mate.

Iknimaya seems to be the basic adult rite of passage.

The movie showed it in just the opposite order:
1.  Iknimaya to become taronyu  
2.  Uniltaron to be "reborn" as Omatikaya'ite/'itan - a full member of the clan

Btw. I have the feeling the ASG contains a fair amount of errors (let alone illegal Na'vi words) so I wouldn't put it above the movie

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

We've already have discussed how accurate the ASG is. The movie will definitely trump it, but it is the next best thing until we have a more detailed book.

Jake's ceremony could have been different from a normal Omatikaya. It could have had a double meaning, he is now both Na'vi and Omatikaya. We need more details.

Still, let's say you must go through this ceremony before you're allowed to mate. The younger Na'vi could still travel to different tribes and find a mate, they would just have to wait until after the ceremony before doing the deed. When I said "marry into" I meant "marry" more on the lines of becoming part of another tribe rather than marrying an individual.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

ShadowedSin

Okay your info is again a bit off.

Uniltaron is stated to be when one finds their dream hunt. It has nothing to do with Lineage. And in the movie all they stated that he became a member of the people. The given words you are referring to are the same as someone saying "Aragorn son of Arathorn". There is not outward proof stating that any of the rites of passage have anything to do with names.

And since the book is a lot more extensive on the information (barring illegal words) it is a FULL avatar franchise release. And is full canon. So it is more than likely that Jake had his ceremonies done in the opposite order for some other reason. Also the actual mention of taking a mate for Jake comes after both ceremonies and there is no mention of either in that he had to wait to take a mate after a given one. The ASG covers this again explicitly. It is Iknimaya that decides if you can gain a Mate, Uniltaron allows you to become a hunter.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child