Na'vi Hair Styles and Native Americans

Started by Syaron, August 26, 2010, 02:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syaron

Not sure if this fits or not but there are enough people who are from outside the US for me to comment I think. My maternal grandfather (human) was Native American of the Seminole tribe. (The only tribe that never signed a treaty with the gov-ment by the way). My ancestors have lived on the southern east coast for hundreds of years along with tribes that are now gone...Yamasee, Croatan, Roanoke, and so on. Many still exist such as the Waccamaw Souian. When the english came in the 1500's they assumed natives had little facial and head hair. Check out the drawings made of the coastal North Carolina "indians" by John white in the 1500's. But actually they used quahog (very large) clam shells to pull out the hair as tribal image dicatated. Sometimes a topknot was left or a queue. So that may be where the idea came from. Tribal identity is often linked to hair in native american culture.

Shara :-*
Shara

Sireayä mokri

As a far as I know, queues are also traditional in China.
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

kewnya txamew'itan

I believe that queues have gone in and out of fashion in China with different dyansties but don't know for sure.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Syaron

I am happy to share my bit of human tribal knowledge with my na'vi 'olo!
;D

Shara
Shara

Payä Tìrol

Queues in China were a mainly a required symbol of "allegiance" to the ruling Qing Dynasty (You should note that the Qing lineage was Manchurian, not Han Chinese)
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Coming to think of it, i once saw a tv-show which showed a mongolian girl around 17 years old, who had a queue braid which reached down to her rectum :o!
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ekirä

I used to have 26" of hair from the base of my skull down....but that got kind of excessive so I cut off 13". I like it a TON better this way, so much easier to brush and dry. Should've cut it ages ago. :D

Amaya

My hair is down to my txìm  8)  Only 26" was too much for you, ma Ekirä?  Mine's 36" from the crown and I've never had any trouble washing, brushing or caring for it, but then it's also pretty fine and stick straight 8) 8)

but...um...ma Teylar, "rectum" is an anatomical term and refers to inside the butt, so when I read your description the picture that came to mind was of someone with a long braid that they'd stuffed up their @$$...just so you know...  ::)

(edits because it wasn't clear who I was talking to anymore ::) )

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

QuoteMy hair is down to my txìm    Only 26" was too much for you, ma Ekirä?  Mine's 36" from the crown and I've never had any trouble washing, brushing or caring for it, but then it's also pretty fine and stick straight 

but...um...ma Teylar, "rectum" is an anatomical term and refers to inside the butt, so when I read your description the picture that came to mind was of someone with a long braid that they'd stuffed up their @$$...just so you know... 

Hahahaha  :D! A braid in the butt! Oeru txoa livu, i didn't know that rectum referred to the inside of the butt. Thanks for the info ;D!

Ekirä

Quote from: Amaya on August 28, 2010, 10:55:13 AM
My hair is down to my txìm  8)  Only 26" was too much for you, ma Ekirä?  Mine's 36" from the crown and I've never had any trouble washing, brushing or caring for it, but then it's also pretty fine and stick straight 8) 8)
My hair is horrifically thick, I can never braid it without it looking really weird because of how thick it is.....with shorter hair, it's not so bad having it thick. Mine is also very straight, though.  ;D

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

I'm annoyed by the fact that i have really thick hair. However, i'm gonna let it grow at least down to the middle of my back, because there's so much fun things you can do with long hair.

Lorey

Quote from: Shara on August 26, 2010, 02:55:58 PM
When the english came in the 1500's they assumed natives had little facial and head hair. Check out the drawings made of the coastal North Carolina "indians" by John white in the 1500's. But actually they used quahog (very large) clam shells to pull out the hair as tribal image dicatated. Sometimes a topknot was left or a queue. So that may be where the idea came from. Tribal identity is often linked to hair in native american culture.

Shara :-*

do you have any links or pics to post of it? I'd be interested in looking at them. I never knew they used hair for identification. I always thought it was the clothes or the colors they wore.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: Ikranari on August 29, 2010, 02:52:28 AM
yes, I am known for wird hair styles at school  ;D
Its so muche funn  ;D

Welcome to the club, then  ;D. About three years ago, i had hair that reached to the middle of my back. I'm also known for weird hair styles at my school. When me and my class had class photography in 5th grade, i had a ponytail, but the hair on the sides of my head wasn't long enough to ``incorporated´´ into the tail, so it just hung down the sides. According to me, it looked really girly :-[