Na'vi laws?

Started by Elektrolurch, February 20, 2010, 08:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elektrolurch

Kaltxì frapo. :)

I just thought about that topic all day long, and now I'n going to ask you. Every country has its laws, that you have to pay taxes, you have to pay for driving to fast, you mustn't kill anyone, and so on... I thought about several different laws, and ... Aren't laws dispensable for a Na'vi? Let me explain that...

I think it's clear, that you mustn't kill anyone, and a Na'vi knows that. Taxes are not needed, they don't have money at all. Driving to fast is senseless on Pandora, and so on... Most of the laws we have on Earth are needed to rule and organize the civilization.

The only thing I kept in mind are rituals .. I think the laws used for that are more like agreements or deals. So what do you think about that?

Eywa ayngahu, ma aysmuk :)
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

Technowraith

We do have an extensive thread on "maintaining order " and "justice" among the na'vi. It's an older thread, so it probably dropped off the front page by now.

Every culture has some system for maintaining order and law. From what we've seen, the na'vi culture has many unwritten laws and customs. We don't know much about how the na'vi maintain law and order in their culture yet. But i do know this is information we'll probably learn in the future as more about the na'vi culture becomes known.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Elektrolurch

Okey, my mistake ;D

I just wanted to know if they have some special laws... if they're written or not doesn't mind at all. I mean laws like: No smoking under 16, shops have to close at 11:00 p.m. ...

Technowraith

Quote from: uniltìyìranyu on February 20, 2010, 09:09:07 AM
Okey, my mistake ;D

I just wanted to know if they have some special laws... if they're written or not doesn't mind at all. I mean laws like: No smoking under 16, shops have to close at 11:00 p.m. ...

Not sure about civil order laws, but there are such unwritten laws out there im guessing. A tribal society has order and law. Usually its unwritten, and unknown to outsiders. Na'vi culture is something new. I'm interested (just like you are) into learning more. But information is pretty limited now.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Elektrolurch

But the input is enough to think about that, isn't it?

Tìrey Tsmukan

Kaltxi, aysmuktu.
I know a little of some of the native American tribes, and from what I know each tribe/clan/whatever-you-want-to-call-it had their own laws inside a tribe. such that every tribe had different ways of thinking about things. an example would be the Crow. as they controlled a lot of land, say one tribe that lives in the mountains wouldn't let children play without someone to watch for dangers. while a tribe on the plains wouldn't need to do that because of the amount of space and line of sight.
I would guess that the Na'vi would act much the same. Kxawm?

Just a thought, fpom ngaru fyawìntxu.

Eywa ayngahu niwotx

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I'm sure the Na'vi have laws against all the usual stuff; thievery, murder, adultery, giving antacid to ikrans. You know that sort of thing.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Elektrolurch

That's the point.

They don't have the law itself, every Na'vi knows, that he mustn't do that... They're never told, but it's obvious somehow..

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I would think that seeing someone getting punished for doing something is basically someone telling you "hey don't do that, we'll pwnz you". Sort of like what public humiliations were used for, not just as punishment but also as an example to others.

Elektrolurch

No. That would be similar to public hangings, I'm absolutely sure they don't have any public punishments, but that's off-topic.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

So the big stand that Jake and Grace were tied too and about to get stabbed by was just for show?

Elektrolurch

They were dreamwalkers, who haven't committed a typical Na'vi crime. It was their fault that the Kelutrel was destructed.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Jake was an official part of the tribe all of their laws applied to him. Just because something doesn't happen often doesn't mean that they don't have a set punishment for when it does happen.

Elektrolurch

Partly agreed. We know Neytiri's doubt about all that after she finds out about all that.

What I also thought about is, that we have whole libraries full of laws and that stuff... The Na'vi don't know that kind of law. They only know what they were told.. it must be something around that.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

They wouldn't have written law but they still might be recorded within Eywa considering she contains so many memories.

Elektrolurch

Maybe they're all born as orthodox creatures?

Off-topic: We know Oceania from 1984. They also don't have laws, but expect the individual automatically to have the right opinions, the right thoughts, to do the right things.. you know what I mean?

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Technowraith on February 20, 2010, 09:04:47 AM
We do have an extensive thread on "maintaining order " and "justice" among the na'vi. It's an older thread, so it probably dropped off the front page by now.

Every culture has some system for maintaining order and law. From what we've seen, the na'vi culture has many unwritten laws and customs. We don't know much about how the na'vi maintain law and order in their culture yet. But i do know this is information we'll probably learn in the future as more about the na'vi culture becomes known.

This brings up a great point. We are almost having flame wars over "necroposting" because interesting topics that were started "long ago" (last month) have run their course and if a new member comes along with an idea and wants to join in on the conversation, suddenly it is grounds for excommunication. So do we forbid NEW conversations? How do we handle this thread? IMHO we simply start a new thread and have a new discussion. Will we be saying a lot of the same thing over? Probably--but who will think to search through all of the hundreds of threads to see if something was posted in the thousands of posts? Idea come and we want to write about them now--not spend all night trying to see if anyone has asked this question 3 months ago.

Na'vi laws? What about LearnNavi laws? See what I did? I am so cleverer!  8)

I hope the Na'vi have more sensible laws regarding conversation! And yes--this is on topic, because I noted the fact that the Na'vi must have some kind of laws regarding old conversations, especially being an oral tradition. They have nothing set in stone (again with the funny puns!) so I guess na'vi laws would have to be memorized in song, early on.

Srak?
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: uniltìyìranyu on February 20, 2010, 07:09:08 PM
They were dreamwalkers, who haven't committed a typical Na'vi crime. It was their fault that the Kelutrel was destructed.

Aaaaaaaaaaaccctually, they were tied up there before the attack ever happened. Tsahik cut them down before the tree fell, or they would be TOAST! (literally)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Elektrolurch

Yep, that's right. But didn't he betray the whole clan? He was sent to the Na'vi to learn their customs, to tell them the truth as soon as they trusted him. Anyway, he was a special case, but why did they also punish Grace? She hasn't done anything really wrong, hasn't she?

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

During that scene we must take into consideration the Na'vi's rage. They were all pretty pissed off at that moment, which could lead to them wanting to punish all they were blaming, which would include Grace even as an outsider.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng