Na'vi music

Started by Rain, June 23, 2010, 09:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain

I'd like to develop an idea of what you all think Na'vi music would sound like. So, post any videos or soundbytes of stuff that you think sounds like Na'vi music, singing or instruments.

I have a Hapi drum, for example:

Hapi Drum Key of D-Akebono Scale, from the HapiTones.com Hapi Hang out

I don't claim that this would be authentic, as it's made of metal and we have no canon info on Na'vi metallurgy, but I think there might be a similar sound in Na'vi music.

Who knows, maybe we'll all get together someday and jam!
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Rain

Oh wow I've got waaaaay too much cool stuff to share, so I'm gonna modify this thread a little.

*Post any interesting, weird instruments/music/singing that could sound/look like Na'vi instruments/music/singing.
*Instruments can be home-made, bought, or found online.
*Singing can be either by you, found online or from CDs.
*Anything from other cultures is awesome.
*Any plans, demos and tutorials on how to build said instruments is more than welcome.
*Nothing is too weird.

There is also a dance-related thread! Post found stuff here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/navi-customs-and-culture/practice-your-navi-dance-skills/

Here is a guy improvising on a set of water drums very much like the ones described in the ASG:
Water Drum Improvisation

And here's a bunch of people using just water. And the bonus is that they're singing too!
water drumming

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

kewnya txamew'itan

The water drums that guy uses are quite different from the ones the na'vi use (although the types of drum they have varies quite a lot).

We have drums like the war drum which is effectively a wooden frame covered in leather and filled with water.

We also have the gourd drums which are more like the drums he uses although a gourd drum would need two hands to play as there is a small elastic 'drumskin' stretched over a hole cut in the bottom, by pushing this in and out you change the pitch on a "microtonal" scale (this suggests the na'vi can pick up smaller variations in pitch than humans).

We also have log drums which are hollowed logs with the ends covered in a hide (not a tanned one though).

Lastly we have pendulum drums which are your pretty standard big drum, probably equivalent to big timpani (except with its tuning pedal stuck in one position).

The ASG also says that children sometimes play "whizzers" (a blade of grass held between the fingers or teeth) and flutes.

Also, the vocal part often spreads over three octaves.

The songs have what is described as heterophony where the multiple singers sing the same melody but come in at different times with different tempos and rhythms.

In hunt songs this heterophony seems to go out of the window and instead you just get rhythmic 'grunts' with emphasised glottal stops and ejectives.

We're also told that songs often have a drone in the male part that represents Eywa.

That's all I can find in the ASG at the moment about their music although I'm sure I read somewhere that their songs are predominantly pentatonic although I could be imagining that. It's also important to note that the na'vi have no codified system of music and would see one as pointless so there is plenty of variation.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Muzer

Quote from: Rain on June 23, 2010, 09:37:08 PM
it's made of metal and we have no canon info on Na'vi metallurgy

What are their knives made out of? (Not a rhetorical question - I don't know).
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Rain

Quote from: Muzer on June 24, 2010, 05:59:37 AM
it's made of metal and we have no canon info on Na'vi metallurgy

What are their knives made out of? (Not a rhetorical question - I don't know).

I'm pretty sure they're made from sharpened bone or flaked stone, like many prehistoric cutting tools. I see that Neytiri's arrowheads appear to be made from a fint-like material, judging by it's similarity in colour and shape to some arrowheads that I have. The knives they carry appear to be made from sharpened bone, like a scalpula (shoulder blade). It surely wouldn't be too hard to grind a bone against sandstone or similar material in order to get a sharp edge, and flint-knapping is an almost universal toolmaking technique. However, I would not doubt in the least that given metal tools, the Na'vi would use them. The durability alone would make them almost invaluable.

Ke, You've got some good points. I am also amused by your use of "we" ;) The question is, what do we have here on Earth that would sound anything like what they have on Pandora? (Are we even calling it Pandora, or is the preferred term Eywa'evenga?)

My intention if this thread is to gather some examples of that we think Na'vi music would sound like. I would like to see what the general consensus is.

kewnya txamew'itan

I'm not sure why I said "we have", I meant "we know the na'vi have", I'm obviously getting too much in character as it were (and I don't evern RP) :D

Also, I remembered another bit that I think is in the same place as the pentatonic info where I think it said that the rhythms related to the perceived motion of the many very visible cosmic bodies in the sky.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

'Ì'awn Menari

I can see the Na'vi (especially teh Omaticaya) as those who would play wooden flutes and tribal drums. 

Native American Flute Music

okay i didn't realize it was a book trailer...but the music still matches
Lord and Lady Bless )O(
and before I forget...
Eywa ngahu! =D

Tìrey Tsmukan

I believe you hit that one on the head there Iawn Menari. That is what I was imagining, and is quite possible for the Na'vi to make.

and kemeoauniaea has got it too. Especially with the grass flute, remember the Cat ears? according to Avatar wiki they can be played, like a flute.

Drums are easy, a simple membrane stretched over a resonance chamber and you have a drum. But, I have to say the hapi drum is hauntingly beautiful, I'm trying to think of something similar that they could have made. One could say that there could be some type of rock that could have a resonance similar... Perhaps not on earth, but on Pandora... maybe...

Unfortunatly I don't have a video for you. But I hope at least something I've said has inspired you.

Eywa ngahu!

Rain

Now when you listen to this, I suggest you ignore the instrumentals (cellos) and pay the most attention to the chanting.

Yeha-Noha (Wishes of Happiness & Prosperity)

And then with some wandering around, I found this:
Deep Forest , Enigma , Native American . World Music MIX

Now, as far as the first one goes, I highly respect the Native American people. I am also part Blackfoot.

The second vid reminded me in a way of Avatar's soundtrack. I particularly liked the chanting. But I'm tired and unable to make a thourough analysis right now. I like everyone's input!

'Ì'awn Menari

Lord and Lady Bless )O(
and before I forget...
Eywa ngahu! =D

Toruk Makto

I have a native American flute that I got from HighSpirits.com. It's the crow model in F#. Mr. Borg does great work.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

'Oma Tirea

I'm trying to figure out the Na'vi scales/harmony.  I hear from www.pandorapedia.com that it's not your normal western musical scale....
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Muzer

Could easily be pentatonic - someone should try to play one of the chants and find out.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

'Ì'awn Menari

i can also see the Na'vi with music like this.
Hagalaz Runedance - The Dawning 01
Lord and Lady Bless )O(
and before I forget...
Eywa ngahu! =D

Rain

I'awn, you really seem to have a knack for this! I really like the last post, especially the interwoven chanting. Was that a male drone I heard beneath the lead singer? i don't know where you find this stuff, but I like it.

'Ì'awn Menari

txan irayo  ;D  and yeah there's some boys in the background.  some groups do that to balance out the female and male energies ^_^
Youtube is a wonderful thing.  when i first became i wiccan i was looking up all sorts of songs.  i found this one on a video explaining the Norse Gods and i fell in love with it.  i don't know what it was supposed to be for, i've always seen it as a tune asking for the God's help.  *shrugs*
Lord and Lady Bless )O(
and before I forget...
Eywa ngahu! =D

Allucard

wow, that Runedance was like a Na'vi prayer! ;D
much love for that! :)
Eywa ngahu frakrr

Puvomun

I have a Hapi drum
This is so wew! In Bristol I was at a Buddhist centre and someone there played a recital on such a drum also. That switched me in "want" mode...

Quote from: Rain
I don't claim that this would be authentic, as it's made of metal and we have no canon info on Na'vi metallurgy, but I think there might be a similar sound in Na'vi music.
I am sure that there are drum-types made of different kinds/shapes of wood that can do the same.

Quote from: Rain
Who knows, maybe we'll all get together someday and jam!
wew+!
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Quote from: Txepsiyu on June 27, 2010, 06:50:27 AM
I have a native American flute that I got from HighSpirits.com. It's the crow model in F#. Mr. Borg does great work.
He certainly does! During vacation I bought the Redtail Hawk in G and I love the sound of it!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Quote from: 'Ì'awn Menari on June 27, 2010, 10:25:33 AM
i can also see the Na'vi with music like this.
I have that CD. It is fantastic. And indeed, this could be na'vi music. I love practicing my Bodhran drumming on Hagalz Runedance. :)

Ngopyu ayvurä.