Na'vi Proverbs

Started by Seze Mune, March 07, 2012, 09:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seze Mune

Meykìn keyit ngeyä ne atan ulte ayuk tayungzup uo nga.

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows will fall behind.

Seze Mune

'Awve fpeykìl. Ngal ke ftivang swisawit a krr pum himvum tsko.

Think first. You cannot stop the arrow once it has left the bow.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 26, 2012, 09:11:08 AM

Very good! IMHO "tunzup" means "to let something to fall" (derived from tung - allow + zup - fall), so simple zup is probably better. No case ending on nga is correct - either use adposition+noun or noun+case ending; never adposition + noun+case ending

Quote'Awve fpeykìl. Ngal ke ftivang swisawit a krr pum himvum tsko.
Nì'awve fpìl. Ke tsun tìftang sivi swizawur a txìng tskot. => Think first. You cant to stop arrow which left bow.
'Awve is adjective, but adverb is what you need. Also no need for <eyk> - it is simple command. Hum is intrasitive (I'm leaving), we need transitive verb (I left the school)
If you want to use "krr a" (you used reversed order; -a- must point to subordinate clause):
Nì'awve fpìl. Ke tsun tìftang sivi swizawur krr a (tsal/pumìl) txìng tskot => Think first. You can't stop arrow when it left bow.

To stop something = tìftang si (see here)
Another way of saying that (not necessarily correct):
Fpìl nì'awve, tem nìmuve => Think first, shoot second
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Blue Elf on March 26, 2012, 02:29:41 PM
Quote from: Seze Mune on March 26, 2012, 09:11:08 AM

Very good! IMHO "tunzup" means "to let something to fall" (derived from tung - allow + zup - fall), so simple zup is probably better. No case ending on nga is correct - either use adposition+noun or noun+case ending; never adposition + noun+case ending

Quote'Awve fpeykìl. Ngal ke ftivang swisawit a krr pum himvum tsko.
Nì'awve fpìl. Ke tsun tìftang sivi swizawur a txìng tskot. => Think first. You cant to stop arrow which left bow.
'Awve is adjective, but adverb is what you need. Also no need for <eyk> - it is simple command. Hum is intrasitive (I'm leaving), we need transitive verb (I left the school)
If you want to use "krr a" (you used reversed order; -a- must point to subordinate clause):
Nì'awve fpìl. Ke tsun tìftang sivi swizawur krr a (tsal/pumìl) txìng tskot => Think first. You can't stop arrow when it left bow.

To stop something = tìftang si (see here)
Another way of saying that (not necessarily correct):
Fpìl nì'awve, tem nìmuve => Think first, shoot second
I was just going to say all this ;)  Also, I really like these two :)
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Seze Mune

You guys are really, really nice!  Have I mentioned how much I appreciate you guys teaching me?  :-*  :-*

And Blue Elf, linking me to Wm. Annis' thread on STOP! was so helpful, irayo seiyi!  I had no clue it was treated to its own thread.  ;)  I would never have looked for it, let alone found it.

As I was thinking about it, I was wondering how to say, "I cannot stop myself.." which is almost the same in meaning as "I cannot make myself stop."  Oel ke tsun tìftäpang sivi.." or "Oel ke tsun tìfteykang sivi..." Or are they both correct? Or both wrong? Or should it be something like "Oel ke tsun tìftäpeykang sivi..."

(I am doing a little ikranish dance for getting one *almost* right!!  :D )

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 26, 2012, 05:52:43 PM
As I was thinking about it, I was wondering how to say, "I cannot stop myself.." which is almost the same in meaning as "I cannot make myself stop."  Oel ke tsun tìftäpang sivi.." or "Oel ke tsun tìfteykang sivi..." Or are they both correct? Or both wrong? Or should it be something like "Oel ke tsun tìftäpeykang sivi..."

Oe ke tsun ftivang... would be "I cannot stop...", and I really think that this is what I would use for "I cannot stop myself..." as well.  I think <äpeyk> here would be awkward and unnecessary, although not technically incorrect.  However, your <äpeyk> would go into the "si" part of tìftang si, since you cannot place infixes into the "noun" part of a si verb.

~ Leonardo da Vinci

Seze Mune

Quote from: Alyara Arati on March 26, 2012, 07:10:10 PM

Oe ke tsun ftivang... would be "I cannot stop...", and I really think that this is what I would use for "I cannot stop myself..." as well.  I think <äpeyk> here would be awkward and unnecessary, although not technically incorrect.  However, your <äpeyk> would go into the "si" part of tìftang si, since you cannot place infixes into the "noun" part of a si verb.

Cool!  It is news to me that I can't put infixes into the noun part of a 'si' construction, so that's another thing I'm really pleased to learn. Irayo seiyi, ma Alyara.

So it might be 'tìftang säpeyki' - if I wanted to be awkward.  ;)

Seze Mune

Woka palulukanìl ke tsun stiväni pxaya smarit.

A roaring palulukan doesn't catch much prey.

Seze Mune

Vultsyìpit aean nìftue rikx lu.

The green twig is easily bent.

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 26, 2012, 08:08:55 PM

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 26, 2012, 08:20:37 PM
Vultsyìpit aean nìftue rikx lu.

The green twig is easily bent.

"moves position" means that whatever it is moves (itself); here you want 'ärìp, which is to move an object.  Also, even if you meant "the green twig moves easily", your sentence doesn't need lu since rikx is already a verb.  But you are correct that the agent (fkol) is understood without being spelled out. :)
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Blue Elf

Woka palulukanìl ke tsun stivä'nì pxaya smarit.

As Alyara already explained

QuoteVultsyìpit aean 'ärìp nìftue.
For "green" in this contex I'd use rìkean (shortened "rìkna ean" => grean/blue as a leaf). More about colors here
Maybe we can try also:
Vultsyìp aean tuvon nìftue mì hufwe, but I'm not sure, what is exact meaning of "tuvon" - there is only one example from Paul and IMHO it can be translated more then one way

Seze Mune

When working with proverbs, I am becoming aware how much the meaning hinges on the choice of words.  Each one has certain nuances.

When I say 'the green twig is easily bent' it seems to have a different connotation from 'the green twig leans easily in the wind'.

For the first, I visualize a teacher (or parent) talking about instructing a student (or child).  For the second, I visualize a young person easily swayed by his conditions/friends.  I know this interpretation is probably just specific to me, personally.

This is one of the best things about proverbs, the creative nuances they contain.  And it makes me wish we had certain words now missing from the vocabulary!  ;)

Colors!  What a nice link, ma Blue Elf, irayo.  :D  So IIRC, I could say tun-na-reypay or reypay-na-tun for blood-red.  Or  'key sneyä solu 'om-na-mikyun' for 'she blushed'.

Ma Alyara, I am sorry oe lu skxawng about the modal verbs.  They are something I need to get my arms around, so this is a good reminder to pore over previous material and fix it in mind. :)

Seze Mune

Txeptsyìpìl nerekx tsengit a pum zerup.

An ember burns where it falls.

Alyara Arati

Tsap'aluteri ke lu tìkin.  No need to apologize; I'm pleased that you're writing so much and learning so much. :D

As for "an ember burns where it falls," you don't need case endings since the ember isn't burning anything but itself.  Unless you meant, "an ember is burning the place where it is falling," in which case, your sentence is completely correct (although I think pum could be left out). :)
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 27, 2012, 09:29:09 AM
Colors!  What a nice link, ma Blue Elf, irayo.  :D  So IIRC, I could say tun-na-reypay or reypay-na-tun for blood-red.  Or  'key sneyä solu 'om-na-mikyun' for 'she blushed'.
Not past tense but perfective (I hope:)) and it is sl<ol>u => slolu. Don't forget - infixes go before vowel, never before consonant (rr and ll counts as vowel, although they are still consonants).

QuoteTxeptsyìpìl nerekx tsengit a pum zerup.
Seems quite correct - Congratulation!

Seze Mune

Quote from: Alyara Arati on March 27, 2012, 01:55:56 PM
Tsap'aluteri ke lu tìkin.  No need to apologize; I'm pleased that you're writing so much and learning so much. :D

As for "an ember burns where it falls," you don't need case endings since the ember isn't burning anything but itself.  Unless you meant, "an ember is burning the place where it is falling," in which case, your sentence is completely correct (although I think pum could be left out). :)

Good point.  It depends on the metaphorical meaning of txeptsyìp.  If we mean 'anger' then perhaps the ember is actively burning something when it lands.  If we mean 'idea' then we are talking of igniting or sparking something else, too.  If we are are just talking about the ember flaming and consuming only itself, the meaning is quite different.  It's almost like 'bloom where you're planted.'

Context would be important in this case (not to make a pun  ;) ).

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I like that one, because predators are normally completely silent when hunting. They only roar while hunting in stories.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

P.A.'li makto

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 27, 2012, 04:04:10 PM

I like that one, because predators are normally completely silent when hunting. They only roar while hunting in stories.
That's exactly what I'm always saying when in the films predators are roaring like crazy while chasing their prey!

facebook: soaia leNa`vi

Seze Mune

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 27, 2012, 04:04:10 PM

Irayo seiyi, ma 'Eylan.   :) I am trying to recall the palulukan incident in the movie - did it roar just before setting itself on Jake? Because during the chase scene, I *think* it was completely silent until Jake went over the cliff into the river.  Then, it roared in frustration.  Do predators roar in frustration or anger when they can't catch their prey?

Seze Mune

Ikran awin ke lu frakrr lora ikran.

The fastest ikran is not always the prettiest.