Na'vi Proverbs

Started by Seze Mune, March 07, 2012, 09:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seze Mune

Frakìngru munea aysì'i'a lu.

Every thread has two ends.

Puvomun

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 27, 2012, 04:20:47 PM
Irayo seiyi, ma 'Eylan.   :) I am trying to recall the palulukan incident in the movie - did it roar just before setting itself on Jake? Because during the chase scene, I *think* it was completely silent until Jake went over the cliff into the river.  Then, it roared in frustration.  Do predators roar in frustration or anger when they can't catch their prey?
Palulukans apparently do. Lions and cheetahs don't, as far as I know. They usually are too tired from the chase to do much more than drag their ass back to where they came from, to their group.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 27, 2012, 08:54:35 PM
Ikran awin ke lu frakrr lora ikran.

The fastest ikran is not always the prettiestpretty.

seems correct. Maybe a little better with exact meanings as you wrote:

Ikran awin frato ke zene livu ikran alor frakrr. => The fastest ikran don't have to be always the prettiest

QuoteFrakìngru munea aysì'i'a lu.
do not mix numbers - if you use separated number, noun remains in singular, so: mesì'i'a or munea tì'i'a. Here I prefer the second version to emphasize that it has two ends. We have "tì'i'a'vay" = until the end, so tì'i'a appears to be correct, although it is not listed in the dictionary, good idea to ask why. So corrected version is:

Frakìngur lu munea tì'i'a
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Puvomun on March 27, 2012, 11:19:44 PM
Quote from: Seze Mune on March 27, 2012, 04:20:47 PM
Irayo seiyi, ma 'Eylan.   :) I am trying to recall the palulukan incident in the movie - did it roar just before setting itself on Jake? Because during the chase scene, I *think* it was completely silent until Jake went over the cliff into the river.  Then, it roared in frustration.  Do predators roar in frustration or anger when they can't catch their prey?
Palulukans apparently do. Lions and cheetahs don't, as far as I know. They usually are too tired from the chase to do much more than drag their ass back to where they came from, to their group.

They in fact, do not, as roaring serves no real purpose at those times. But the legends persist: "The lion, after slaking its thirst on its victim's blood, lets out a mighty roar". This is from a wildlife book from the late 1800's. Lions weren't even studied that much until after 1950.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Seze Mune

Ngal ke yivom talioangit mìkam rewon sì srekamtxon.

You cannot eat a hammerhead titanothere in one night.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 28, 2012, 09:20:11 PM
Ngal ke yivom talioangit mìkam rewon sì srekamtxon.

You cannot eat a hammerhead titanothere in one night.
I don't recommend to eat hammerhead, sturmbeest tastes better :)
What you want to say is probably "You can't eat the whole sturmbeest in the one (the only) day". My version is:

Nga ke tsun yilvom talioangit (lewotx) mì le'awa trr

Puvomun

Fko ke slu taronyu 'awa trrmì.

or

Fko ke slu taronyu 'awa txonmì.

Meaning: Difficult things take time to learn.

(I am not sure about the 'overnight' in the second one, although that would be my favourite.)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Seze Mune

Tìlam syuveyä ke lu tengfya yerom pumit.

The appearance of the food is not the same as eating it.

Note: I wanted to say 'The look of the [meat] is not the same as the taste' but we do not have a word for taste (n.) or taste (v.).  The only flavor word I can find is kalin for sweet to the taste.

Alyara Arati

Brava. :)

And don't despair; we'll have a word for taste eventually, and then you can come back to this. ;)
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Seze Mune

Quote from: Puvomun on March 29, 2012, 03:58:27 AM
Fko ke slu taronyu 'awa trrmì.

or

Fko ke slu taronyu 'awa txonmì.

Meaning: Difficult things take time to learn.

(I am not sure about the 'overnight' in the second one, although that would be my favourite.)

Along the same lines, I would like to say it takes more than one day to hatch an ikran.  But 'hatch' is not a word, and we don't know that ikrans lay eggs.  They live in a rookery, though, and what lives in a rookery but doesn't lay eggs?

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 29, 2012, 07:52:39 PM

Note: I wanted to say 'The look of the [meat] is not the same as the taste' but we do not have a word for taste (n.) or taste (v.).  The only flavor word I can find is kalin for sweet to the taste.
May be:
Ftxey ftxìlor ftxey ftxìvä', tìlam fkxenä lor lu => Appearance of the vegetables is nice whether it is delicious or disgusting (meaning: nice surface can hide something bad)

Seze Mune

Quote from: Blue Elf on March 30, 2012, 12:50:37 AM
Quote from: Seze Mune on March 29, 2012, 07:52:39 PM

May be:
Ftxey ftxìlor ftxey ftxìvä', tìlam fkxenä lor lu => Appearance of the vegetables is nice whether it is delicious or disgusting (meaning: nice surface can hide something bad)

Solunu oeru.  :)

Oe holangham krr a pollte tsa'u; lolam stolawm palutsyìp (akerusey?)  <= meupxare

And now I know 2 more flavor words: delicious and disgusting!

P.A.'li makto

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 29, 2012, 09:35:32 PM
Along the same lines, I would like to say it takes more than one day to hatch an ikran.  But 'hatch' is not a word, and we don't know that ikrans lay eggs.  They live in a rookery, though, and what lives in a rookery but doesn't lay eggs?
Seals...?...

facebook: soaia leNa`vi

Seze Mune

Quote from: P.A.'li makto on March 30, 2012, 08:20:48 AM
Quote from: Seze Mune on March 29, 2012, 09:35:32 PM
Along the same lines, I would like to say it takes more than one day to hatch an ikran.  But 'hatch' is not a word, and we don't know that ikrans lay eggs.  They live in a rookery, though, and what lives in a rookery but doesn't lay eggs?
Seals...?...

Srane. Hmm. But otherwise, only seabirds and turtles and they are egg layers.  The creatures living there must be gregarious, but not insects. Oh wait.....I forgot gargoyles.  They are gregarious, kefyak?  ;D

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 30, 2012, 08:17:06 AM
May be:

Oe holangham krr a pollte tsa'u; lolam stolawm palutsyìp (akerusey?)  <= meupxare
Haha, I just now noticed that it is ugly tongue-twister for beginners  ;D
Lolam oeru fwa oel stawm palutsyìpit => It seemed to me that I heard cat)

Seze Mune

Quote from: Blue Elf on March 30, 2012, 08:48:25 AM
Quote from: Seze Mune on March 30, 2012, 08:17:06 AM
May be:

Haha, I just now noticed that it is ugly tongue-twister for beginners  ;D
Lolam oeru fwa oel stawm palutsyìpit => It seemed to me that I heard cat)

Ke lu vä, ma Blue Elf.  Pum a'ipu lu!  And good practice, too!

Seze Mune

Krrpe yayo atxur slivu, palulukanit tspivang?

Krrpe yayo atxur sliyevu, palulukanit tspiyevang?

When will a bird be strong enough to kill a thanator?

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 30, 2012, 09:23:24 AM

Krrpe yayo atxur slivu, palulukanit tspivang?

Krrpe yayo atxur sliyev, palulukanit tspiyevang?

When will a bird be strong enough to kill a thanator?
Nari si - here txur is not attribute of yayo - it is not "strong bird become <something>", but "bird become strong". So correctly:

Krrpe yayo slu txur nìtam fte palulukanit tspivang? => when the bird become strong enough to kill thanator?

And one from me (ok, not from me, I found it somewhere on the net):
Tìtstew ke lu fwa nga txopu ke si, ki fwa wem keng ngaru lu txopu => Bravery doesn't mean to not be afraid, but rather to fight despite of fear (literary: Bravery is not that you do not afraid, but that you fight even if you (have) fear)

Seze Mune

Tivul ke nìtam.  Fko zene pivate ulte ivomum krra fko pìlmate.

It is not enough to run.  One must arrive and know when one has arrived.

Puvomun

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 02, 2012, 09:43:35 AM
Tivul ke nìtam.  Fko zene pivate ulte ivomum krra fko pìlmate.

It is not enough to run.  One must arrive and know when one has arrived.

I'd use sì then instead of ulte.

Ngopyu ayvurä.