Na'vi Proverbs

Started by Seze Mune, March 07, 2012, 09:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 11, 2012, 08:28:58 PM

Ftue tìtstewnga' livu krra fko asìm livu.

It is easy to be brave at a distance.
Nari si : tìtstewnga' is not for people, use tstew here
Fko tsun livu tstew nìftue krra hrrap lìm => One can be brave easily when danger is far

With using of Alyara's note:
QuoteAoengal ke ngamop tìtäftxu tìreyä.  Aoenga lu le'aw 'awa kìng tsal kxamlä.  Tsat aoengal kem sivi a tsatìtäftxuti, nìtengfya aoengal kem säpi.  Nìwotx fra'u 'awsiteng yìm.  Fra'u yìm fìtsap.
Ayoengal ke ngerop renuti tìreyä. Ayoeng lu nì'aw 'awa kìng mìfa (tsarenuä).  Frakemìri a ayoeng si fpi tsarenu, kem si ayoengaru.  Fra'u nìwotx yäpän fìtsap.
We are not creating pattern of the life. We are just one thread inside (of that pattern; I'm not sure if genitive is correct here as "mìfa" is adverb). Everything we do for the sake of that pattern we do to us. Everything ties down each other.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Seze Mune

I like all of these suggestions.  Irayo seiyi!  :D

I was specifically trying to use 'weaving' because it takes a central role in Omatikaya life, and might therefore be viewed as a more authentic-seeming Na'vi proverb.  Because it is so important and is referenced in so many stories and songs (see below), it makes sense that there should be a word for it, imho.

Here's what I found on Pandorapedia about weaving:

"While other Na'vi clans on Pandora organize themselves around carving or pottery, the Omaticaya are renowned for their brilliant textiles. Thus the loom plays a key role in the daily life of the clan. The largest of the Omaticaya looms is more massive than a Terran pipe organ. This mas'kit nivi sa'nok, or "mother loom" is given a place of honor in the common area of Hometree.

"The Na'vi word for loom, ulivi mari'tsey mak'dinio, translates roughly into "branches of the tree look to each other for strength," or "many branches together are strong." Depending on the type of textile produced, the loom can also be referred to as Eywa s'ilivi mas'kit nivi, (or just mas'kit nivi) which translates into "Eywa's wisdom is revealed to all of us." This evocation of Eywa is a clear indication of the loom's importance in Na'vi culture. It is also a compelling description of Eywa, who, in this context, is depicted as a kind of cosmic weaver who brings the disparate elements of Pandora together into a harmonious whole.

"The majority of Hometree songs pertain to weaving, since it is one of the principal communal activities of their daily lives. Weaving occurs in two ways: it may be done on an individual basis, on small looms, with a few men and women sitting in small clusters, or it may be done on one of the giant looms strung between floor and ceiling of the Hometree commons that are worked by six or seven Na'vi at a time. Most of the weaving songs are sung by the men and women working on their individual looms....

"While weaving, the rhythm of the loom dictates the rhythm of the singing. Experienced weavers create the steadiest rhythms and can sing the most complex songs while weaving.

"The arts are of vital importance in Na'vi culture, with all individuals encouraged, even socially required, to be active in music, singing, ceramics, weaving, and dance."

"Storytelling is a part of the Na'vi weaving culture as well, and may have a role in recording history as well as myth..."

Seze Mune

Rä'ä ke latem ayikran krra fkol tswerayon.

Do not change ikrans when one is flying.

Rä'ä ke latem ayikran krra fkol kxamläsätswayon lu.

Do not change ikrans in the middle of a flight.

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 12, 2012, 08:53:28 PM
Rä'ä ke latem ayikran krra fkol tswerayon.

Do not change ikrans when one is flying.

Rä'ä ke latem ayikran krra fkol kxamläsätswayon lu.

Do not change ikrans in the middle of a flight.

You may use only rä'ä OR ke to negate a verb, and since this is an order (suggestion), rä'ä is the right choice.

Latem means change in the sense of "children change so much as they grow".  I think you want change in the sense of "exchange", which would be rawn.

Also, you don't need the -l on fko since here the verb "flying" is acting intransitively.  And you would never need an -l when using lu.

I would write this as:

Rä'ä rawn ikranit tengkrr tswerayon.  Do not replace/substitute the ikran while (one) is flying.
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Seze Mune

Ke tam tìmusakto omum; fko zene ivomum nìteng pezup.

It is not enough to know how to ride; one must also know how to fall.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 12, 2012, 08:22:36 PM
"The Na'vi word for loom, ulivi mari'tsey mak'dinio, translates roughly into "branches of the tree look to each other for strength," or "many branches together are strong." Depending on the type of textile produced, the loom can also be referred to as Eywa s'ilivi mas'kit nivi, (or just mas'kit nivi) which translates into "Eywa's wisdom is revealed to all of us." This evocation of Eywa is a clear indication of the loom's importance in Na'vi culture. It is also a compelling description of Eywa, who, in this context, is depicted as a kind of cosmic weaver who brings the disparate elements of Pandora together into a harmonious whole.
AFAIK only names of plants and animals are correct on Pandorapedia/ASG, everything else one spined out of thin air :( Most of names break phonological rules.
IMHO "branches of the tree look to each other for strength" has meaning of "branches of the tree awaits strength from each other", so I'd translate it as
ayvulìl utralä fwew tìtxurit mì sno => branches of the tree seek strength in themselves (not sure if my English is correct here; also not sure if sno can be used this way...)
or
"many branches together are strong." => pxaya vul 'awsiteng lu txur

QuoteKe tam tìmusakto omum; fko zene ivomum nìteng pezup.

It is not enough to know how to ride; one must also know how to fall.
Ke tam fwa ngal omum fya'ot a makto; zene ivomum pumit a zup nìteng => It don't suffice that you know way how to ride; you must also know how to fall.

Seze Mune

Irayo ma Alyara sì ma Blue Elf.  I appreciate your instructions and suggestions. :D

When using a phrase that says 'how to <do something>', is it permissible to affix pe- to the verb?  For example, I used 'pezup' for 'how to fall'.  Would that be correct?  For 'how to weave', would I say petäftxu?

Likewise, if one is in the middle of doing something, is it permissible to use kxämla+verb? Or would you use kxamtseng?  Oe kxamtseng tìrolä lu (I am in the middle of a song) or Oe kxamtseng tìrusol lu (I am in the middle of singing) or Oe kamxtseng rerol lu (I am in the middle of singing).  Kamxtseng is a noun, not an adverb, which is why I thought I might need to use 'lu' as a locative verb.

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 13, 2012, 01:03:19 PM
Irayo ma Alyara sì ma Blue Elf.  I appreciate your instructions and suggestions. :D
Kea tìkin.  Oeru meuia. :D

When using a phrase that says 'how to <do something>', is it permissible to affix pe- to the verb?  For example, I used 'pezup' for 'how to fall'.  Would that be correct?  For 'how to weave', would I say petäftxu?
Kehe.  One cannot affix -pe+ to a verb, only a noun.  "How to fall" would be fya'o a zup, or "the way that (one) falls"

Likewise, if one is in the middle of doing something, is it permissible to use kxämla+verb? Or would you use kxamtseng?  Oe kxamtseng tìrolä lu (I am in the middle of a song) or Oe kxamtseng tìrusol lu (I am in the middle of singing) or Oe kamxtseng rerol lu (I am in the middle of singing).  Kamxtseng is a noun, not an adverb, which is why I thought I might need to use 'lu' as a locative verb.
On this one, I don't know.  What you have suggested doesn't feel right to me.  It may be that this is too idiomatic in English to translate word for word.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 13, 2012, 01:03:19 PM
No. -pe+ is just for nouns. To ask 'how to <do something>' you must use something like:
Pefya oe tsun kem sivi a .... ? => literally: What way I can do action which is ...?
Pefya oe tsun tsakem sivi ? => How can I do that (action)?

No again. Kxamlä is adposition, so it can't connect to verbs. There is chance that kxamtseng could work - fìtseng is noun, but works also as an adverb. But I'd avoid this until approval (if it ever comes...)
I can't find any good way how to say what you want - maybe something like:
Mawl tìrolä ftem (half of the song pass by)

Seze Mune

Ngal ke tse'a zusawkrrit krra sngawpay ngeyä menarimì.

You cannot see the future with tears in your eyes.

Seze Mune

Ayoengeyä 'awa karyu lu ayoengeyä txe'lan.

Our first teacher is our own heart.

Seze Mune

Leyku oeyä kxutu tstew sì txur, fte txo poanìl oeti livätxayn suteo ke fpayìl fwa oe fnawe'tu livu.

This is what I wanted to say: Make my enemy brave and strong so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.  I could not find the words for 'make' and 'ashamed'.  'Create' seems to be closest to 'make', but it doesn't seem right. Using 'lu' is a problem because lu does not imply transitivity, but my expression calls for an action to be done to the enemy. Perhaps <eyk> is a workaround for that?

I thought of making a compound out of pride-wound as a substitute for ashamed, but we don't have a word for 'pride' either.  :'(

If I said, 'May my enemy be...'  then perhaps I could write 'Livu oeyä kxutu...'  Would that work better?

More word wishes:

make -verb
shame - noun
pride - noun

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 14, 2012, 09:08:41 PM

How about this:  Livu oeyä kxutu tstew sì txur, fte, txo pol oeti livätxayn, tsivun oe vivelek nìmeuianga'.
(word order is awkward?)  May my enemy be brave and strong, so that, if he defeats me, I can surrender honorably.

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 14, 2012, 08:37:13 PM

Ayoengeyä 'awvea karyu lu ayoengeyä txe'lan.

Our first teacher is our own heart.

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 14, 2012, 08:28:51 PM

Nga ke tsun tsive'a zusawkrrit krra sngawpay ngeyä menarimì lu.

You cannot see the future when tears are in your eyes.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Blue Elf

Quote from: Alyara Arati on April 15, 2012, 02:08:21 AM

How about this:  Livu oeyä kxutu tstew sì txur, fte, txo pol oeti livätxayn, tsivun oe vivelek nìmeuianga'.
(word order is awkward?)  May my enemy be brave and strong, so that, if he defeats me, I can surrender honorably.
Tì'efumì oeyä fìsäplltxe yeio' nì'aw!
I'd say that Seze Mune's original sounds a little strange - coward is that one who turns tail in the battle (or runs from the battle), not one who is defeated. So this new version is much better - both English and Na'vi (lrrtok si  ;))

Seze Mune

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 15, 2012, 11:09:25 AM
Quote from: Alyara Arati on April 15, 2012, 02:08:21 AM

Tì'efumì oeyä fìsäplltxe yeio' nì'aw!
I'd say that Seze Mune's original sounds a little strange - coward is that one who turns tail in the battle (or runs from the battle), not one who is defeated. So this new version is much better - both English and Na'vi (lrrtok si  ;))

Totally agree.  The best part of the new version is that it emphasizes honor and not shame. Kosmana wawe, ma Alyara!

Seze Mune

What could we use as Na'vi for 'proverb'? 

Perhaps wawealì'u? Or pluralized waweaylì'u?

Hmm....waweaylì'u Na'viyä or waweaylì'u leNa'vi?

Or maybe something better?  Imo, txantslusam is a little unwieldy.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 15, 2012, 11:46:05 AM

What could we use as Na'vi for 'proverb'? 

Perhaps wawealì'u? Or pluralized waweaylì'u?

Hmm....waweaylì'u Na'viyä or waweaylì'u leNa'vi?

Or maybe something better?  Imo, txantslusam is a little unwieldy.
wawe is noun, so we can't connect it to another noun. txanwawe is not good, as it is about personal significance. So we can try
Txantslusama aylì'u = wise words. I have no better idea

Seze Mune

Aysänume weran mì fratskxe sì frarikx.

Lessons are hidden in rock and leaf.

Seze Mune

Krra tìrey 'i'a na tsawke a txon'ong, kiva oeyä tirea ngaru fpi meuia.

When life ends like the falling sunset, may my spirit may come to you without shame.

Seze Mune

Nemfa oeti kelku si munea nantangìl. 'Awa nantang kxawng lu. Lahea nantang sìltsan lu. Nantangìl akawng werem nantangit asìltsan frakrr.  Nantangìt a pum oel frato yomtìng, pumìl yora'.

Within me there are two viperwolves. One of the viperwolves is evil. The other viperwolf is good. The evil viperwolf fights the good viperwolf all the time. The viperwolf I feed the most, wins.