Na'vi Proverbs

Started by Seze Mune, March 07, 2012, 09:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seze Mune

Quote from: Alyara Arati on April 19, 2012, 08:45:49 PM
tiny correction:  tìsraw rä'ä seyki :)

both ke and rä'ä go between the noun part of a "si verb" and the "si" or "seyki" part

if it helps to remember, Tsu'tey says, "Txopu rä'ä si" in the movie

Oh!  I had no idea, even though I remember the quote.  I am very pleased to learn this.   :)

So I should have said

Rivey nì'o, slä tìsraw rä'ä seyki Eywa'eveng.

I wondered whether I should make tìsraw seyki also subjunctive, but wouldn't know how to add the second infix anyway. Seykivi?

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 19, 2012, 09:38:45 AM
ALYARA ARATI: Ma Seze, one more thing, most important thing:  do not become confused.  If Blue Elf and I disagree, I would rather that you always assume he is correct and I am a big-mouthed idiot, than that you doubt yourself.  If you've always felt unsure about something, that's different, but don't allow us to make you second guess yourself and what you know is right.

SEZE MUNE: Ma Alyara, no, no, no!  I am truly grateful for all the help I get from you and Blue Elf and Puvomun.  I am no authority in this language and perhaps 'it takes a village' to help this numeyu nume. :)  In fact, I think the more ayharyu who participate, the merrier, because as Blue Elf says, the discussion is what helps to clarify.  Even those who have a better grasp on the language can benefit from participation here because it will help to keep their skills sharp, as well as hone the skills of those with whom they would eventually speak Na'vi.

We also find words which would be useful to add to the lexicon.  I like to think that Karyu Pawl may find some of our additions helpful as he works with Na'vi dialogue for the remainder of the Avatar series.

I also have another idea, which I will put forward in a separate post...
That! somewhere on Wikipedia is some text saying something like (number aren't correct, I'll try to find that):
people remember just ~10% what they hear, ~20% what read ....... but ~80-90% what they DO.
So learning the others is the teaching of yourself!

Back to topic:
QuoteMa Eywa, alu Nawma Sa'nok, teya sivi ayoengur fa atan ngeyä. Kivar ayoengur fya'ot a tìran mì 'akra ahewne na aysmuk tìreyä nìwotx.
Eywa, Great Mother, fill us with light. Teach us to walk the soft earth as relatives to all that live.
QuoteLastly, I think if you did not use "sko" there, you would need "nìtengfya", in the same manner as, rather than "na".  Unless you mean that you would walk on the soft earth like it was your family.
Now I got it why you proposed "sko/nìtengfya"! But still I'm not sure if "na/pxel" is incorrect. The English meaning doesn't say anything what sounds like walking on your family, uh? If English version can't be understand this way, IMO we can use "na/pxel". But it is true that constructions with more adpositions can be sometimes confusing.

QuoteSo I should have said
Rivey nì'o, slä tìsraw rä'ä seyki Eywa'evengur.
With "si verbs" always use dative, they are intransitive.
Seykivi is correct, <iv> is first position infix
QuoteEnjoy life's journey, but leave no tracks.
Why you want "track - ofp."? IMHO we can use physical track alu tsmìm. But what we are missing is "to leave track" (txìng can't be used this way, it has meaning of abandoning something)
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Seze Mune

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 20, 2012, 05:28:21 AM

Why you want "track - ofp."? IMHO we can use physical track alu tsmìm. But what we are missing is "to leave track" (txìng can't be used this way, it has meaning of abandoning something)

Those 'si' verbs have several rules.  Good to know them. :)

My dictionary say tsmìm is for animals.  It doesn't say nfp, but I assumed such because it specified animal instead of saying physical tracks e.g. footprints, etc.

Alyara Arati

Kxawm:

Sivunu (ngaru) tìsop tìreyä, ngian sweylu txo smìm ngeyä 'ivì'awn nì'aw te'lanmì suteyä a yawne lu nga (foru).

Enjoy the journey of life, however, it is best if your tracks remain only in the hearts of people who love you.
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Seze Mune

Quote from: Alyara Arati on April 20, 2012, 07:59:36 AM
Kxawm:

Sivunu (nga) tìsop tìreyä, ngian sweylu txo smìm ngeyä 'ivì'awn nì'aw te'lanmì suteyä a yawne lu nga (foru).

Enjoy the journey of life, however, it is best if your tracks remain only in the hearts of people who love you.

Wou, VERY nice, ma Alyara!  :D

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 20, 2012, 07:19:11 AM
Quote from: Blue Elf on April 20, 2012, 05:28:21 AM

Those 'si' verbs have several rules.  Good to know them. :)
Several? I can think about just three (I you know more, let me know ;D):
- "si verbs" are intransitive (use dative with them)
- infixes go into "si"
- ke/rä'ä goes in front of "si"

My dictionary say tsmìm is for animals.  It doesn't say nfp, but I assumed such because it specified animal instead of saying physical tracks e.g. footprints, etc.
apparent example that I do mistakes too. Of course my disct says the same, I just ignore it :( But wondering what can be difference between tracks of animals and people...
QuoteEnjoy the journey of life, however, it is best if your tracks remain only in the hearts of people who love you.
My attempt (not necessarily correct):
Kivä fratsenge, slä rä'ä ngivop kea smìmit... => go everywhere, but don't leave any tracks (lit: do not create any tracks)
Meaning: do everything you want, but do not harm anything and anybody

Blue Elf

Txo kem ngeyä ke flivä, leykatem fpìlfyati ulte nga flayä => If things go wrong way, change you way of thinking and you'll succeed. (lit: If your action do not succeed, change your way of thinking and you'll succeed)
Original sentence says: change you strategy, when things go wrong way and you'll see, that everything take a turn for the better. It comes from a little story whose Na'vi version you can read here

Tanri

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 20, 2012, 02:37:32 PM
apparent example that I do mistakes too. Of course my disct says the same, I just ignore it :( But wondering what can be difference between tracks of animals and people...

"Tsmìm" can be used for both animals and people, as the people are nothing more than animals thinking they are something more than animals.  ;D
Confirmed is Na'viteri discussion:
Pawl says:
September 7, 2011 at 11:40 pm
Ioangìri, tuteri, tsun fko sivar lì'ut alu tsmìm, ma Kamean.
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 20, 2012, 04:22:04 PM
Txo kem ngeyä ke flivä, leykatem fpìlfyati ulte nga flayä => If things go wrong way, change you way of thinking and you'll succeed. (lit: If your action do not succeed, change your way of thinking and you'll succeed)
Original sentence says: change you strategy, when things go wrong way and you'll see, that everything take a turn for the better. It comes from a little story whose Na'vi version you can read here

I like this one, ma Blue Elf. :)

BTW, it's my understanding that in English the word several is a fuzzy amount indicating more than two but not very many.  My own understanding is that it's most often used to mean about three, but others' mileage may vary. :D

Seze Mune

Quote from: Tanri on April 21, 2012, 07:50:02 AM
Quote from: Blue Elf on April 20, 2012, 02:37:32 PM
My dictionary say tsmìm is for animals.  It doesn't say nfp, but I assumed such because it specified animal instead of saying physical tracks e.g. footprints, etc.

"Tsmìm" can be used for both animals and people, as the people are nothing more than animals thinking they are something more than animals.  ;D
Confirmed is Na'viteri discussion:
Pawl says:
September 7, 2011 at 11:40 pm
Ioangìri, tuteri, tsun fko sivar lì'ut alu tsmìm, ma Kamean.

Very nice find, ma Tanri!  Irayo for checking that out.  Ayoeng tsun set yivem aysmìm txe'lanmì tuteoyä.  :D

Seze Mune

Yivem nì'aw syoa aysmìm txe'lanmì tuteoyä.

Leave only soft prints on someone's heart.

:D <--- mouseover

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 21, 2012, 11:59:00 AM
Yivem nì'aw syoa (ay)smìmit txe'lanmì tuteoyä.

:) but "syo" is about physical weight, so this usage is not correct. Also "hewne" (soft of an object) probably doesn't work, personally I'd probably use "hì'i" (small). Buuut - "leave track in someone's heart" says more about leaving memory of somebody in the one's heart, kefyak? So:

Rä'ä tìran mì ketse palulukanä => Do not step on thanator's tail (handle with care)

Txo ngal ngirvop smìmit a mì ayte'lan suteyä alahe, livu tsaysmìm sìltsan => if you create footprints in the hearts of other people, may these footprints are good (create just good memories of you, do only good actions)
Notice that there is missing attributive -a- on "sìltsan". It is because this adjective is connected with "lu", not with "tsaysmìm" (tsaysmìm livu sìltsan, not (unwritten subject) livu tsaysmìm asìltsan)

Seze Mune

Ronsel ale'en swoka stxeli lu ulte ronsel lesäfpìl lu srungtu amal.  Sawtuteol ngolop tìreyit, pumìl ftxozä seri srungtur slä tswerä stxelit.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."  ― Albert Einstein

Wish words:

honor
honorable
helper

Seze Mune

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 21, 2012, 03:49:10 PM

:) but "syo" is about physical weight, so this usage is not correct. Also "hewne" (soft of an object) probably doesn't work, personally I'd probably use "hì'i" (small). Buuut - "leave track in someone's heart" says more about leaving memory of somebody in the one's heart, kefyak? So:

Rä'ä tìran mì ketse palulukanä => Do not step on thanator's tail (handle with care)

Txo ngal ngirvop smìmit a mì ayte'lan suteyä alahe, livu tsaysmìm sìltsan => if you create footprints in the hearts of other people, may these footprints are good (create just good memories of you, do only good actions)
Notice that there is missing attributive -a- on "sìltsan". It is because this adjective is connected with "lu", not with "tsaysmìm" (tsaysmìm livu sìltsan, not (unwritten subject) livu tsaysmìm asìltsan)

Or what about:  Rä'a kawkrr za'ärìp ketse palulukanä!

Seze Mune

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 21, 2012, 03:49:10 PM

:) but "syo" is about physical weight, so this usage is not correct. Also "hewne" (soft of an object) probably doesn't work, personally I'd probably use "hì'i" (small). Buuut - "leave track in someone's heart" says more about leaving memory of somebody in the one's heart, kefyak?

I savor your quotes, ma Blue Elf.  Very enjoyable. :)

As for "syo" usage....in English one steps lightly on something, meaning one is careful to not allow it to bear much of one's full weight for long.  Since it involves being careful about physical weight, it seemed that 'syo' might fit.  The opposite would be to step heavily on something, also giving the impression of bearing weight. That was my logic, anyway.  ;)

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 21, 2012, 08:18:30 PM
Ronsem ale'en swoka stxeli lu ulte ronsem lesäfpìl lu srungtu amal.  Sawtuteol ngolop tìreyit, pumìl ftxozä seri srungtur slä tswerä stxelit.
el
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."  ― Albert Einstein

Wish words:

honor as a noun, meuia
honorable meunianga'
helper srungtu is perfectly legal, since -yu and -tu are productive

QuoteRä'a kawkrr za'ärìp ketse palulukanä!
Kawkrr rä'ä za'ärìp kxetset palulukanä!
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Reykoveyzä te Werufalä Haflak'ite

I don't know if this has been said yet, but here we go:

Hufwa kakrela tute tsun ke tsive'a, poan tsun kivame fralo.
although the blind man cannot see (physical), he can see(spiritually) all the time.

I was going for "just because the blind man cannot see, it does not mean that he cant kame" but I couldn't figure put how to say that.
Irayo, ma frapo, ma oeyä smuke sì ma oeyä smukan.
Vivar 'ivong Na'vi! Eywa ayngahu!

*if i make a mistake in any of my Na'vi, please correct me :)

Blue Elf

Quote from: Alyara Arati on April 21, 2012, 11:20:28 PM
Quote from: Seze Mune on April 21, 2012, 08:18:30 PM
Ronsem ale'en swoka stxeli lu ulte ronsem lesäfpìl lu srungtu amal.  Sawtuteol ngolop tìreyit, pumìl ftxozä seri srungtur slä tswerä stxelit.
el

Wish words:

honor as a noun, meuia
honorable meunianga'
helper srungtu is perfectly legal, since -yu and -tu are productive

Quite hard sentence for our language :) Ok, my notes:
- why sawtuteol? it mean "some people", indefinite -o should be omitted. "Ayoe/ng" is usable too
- for "society" I'd use something like pongu fratuteyä; tìrey is life, it can lead to confusion
- which/that = a (People which created home = Sute a ngolop kelkuti)
- for helper I prefer srungsiyu - same pattern as tsamsiyu. Not sure what is preferred to create noun from another noun, which has si-verb. But - if you meet teacher on the TS, he is marked as "karyuä srungsiyu" -> Helper of the teacher. I expected it is not incorrect :)
So my attempt:
Ronsem ale'en swoka stxeli lu ulte ronsem lesäfpìl lu srungsiyu amal.  Ayoengal ngolop ponguti fratuteyä a ftxozä seri srungsiyur slä tswera' stxelit.

QuoteHufwa kakrela tutan ke tsun tsive'a, poan tsun kivame frakrrlo.
Nearly correct! Negation in modal constructions go in front of modal verb (as in English). Frakrr is better (every time) than fralo (every occurence).

Quote"just because the blind man cannot see, it does not mean that he cant kame"
Maybe:
Furia fko ke tsun tsive'a ke lu ral alu fko ke tsun kivame

Seze Mune

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 22, 2012, 02:33:48 PM

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."  ― Albert Einstein

Quite hard sentence for our language :) Ok, my notes:
- why sawtuteol? it mean "some people", indefinite -o should be omitted. "Ayoe/ng" is usable too

Ayoe/ng is good too.  I was thinking sawtute because if a Na'vi said this proverb, he would probably use it to describe sawtute, not his own society.  But remembering Jake Sully and Norm and Trudy and Dr. Grace, he would modify it to sawtuteo. But I forgot the accusative 'l', didn't I?

- for "society" I'd use something like pongu fratuteyä; tìrey is life, it can lead to confusion

- which/that = a (People which created home = Sute a ngolop kelkuti)

We do not use the accusative 'l' for this? Sutel a ngolop kelkuti? I am a little confused.

- for helper I prefer srungsiyu - same pattern as tsamsiyu. Not sure what is preferred to create noun from another noun, which has si-verb. But - if you meet teacher on the TS, he is marked as "karyuä srungsiyu" -> Helper of the teacher. I expected it is not incorrect :)

Hey! You bring up a good point!  Why is srungsiyu omitted from the Navi dictionary when it has been used here for a couple of  years unofficially?  Seems like a good LEP submission, to me.   ;)

So my attempt:
Ronsem ale'en swoka stxeli lu ulte ronsem lesäfpìl lu srungsiyu amal.  Ayoengal ngolop ponguti fratuteyä a ftxozä seri srungsiyur slä tswera' stxelit.

I like your words for 'society': pongu fratuteyä.  The 'fra' gives it a brotherly flavor.  ;)  If we were to translate this for a real Na'vi, perhaps we might use the word olo' (for clan) instead...or maybe tsawla olo' or pongu ayolo'?

QuoteHufwa kakrela tutan ke tsun tsive'a, poan tsun kivame frakrrlo.

Blue Elf:  Nearly correct! Negation in modal constructions go in front of modal verb (as in English). Frakrr is better (every time) than fralo (every occurrence).

Quote"just because the blind man cannot see, it does not mean that he can't kame"

Maybe:
Furia fko ke tsun tsive'a ke lu ral alu fko ke tsun kivame

Nice one, ma Reyko sì ma Blue Elf.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Alyara Arati on April 21, 2012, 11:20:28 PM

QuoteRä'a kawkrr za'ärìp ketse palulukanä!
Kawkrr rä'ä za'ärìp kxetset palulukanä!

Irayo, ma Alyara.  Silly to make such a case ending mistake!  I will try harder to remember these.   :D