Na'vi Proverbs

Started by Seze Mune, March 07, 2012, 09:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyara Arati

How 'bout then just:

Rä'ä hahaw tengkrr 'em syuvet.

Or:

Tute a hahaw tengkrr 'em syuvet, slayu txen fa nikre anusekx.

Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Puvomun

Quote from: Alyara Arati on March 11, 2012, 12:50:34 AM
How 'bout then just:

Rä'ä hahaw tengkrr 'em syuvet.

Or:

Or, in that case, even:

Rä'ä hahaw tengkrr 'em.
Somehow adding 'food' to this makes it feel too long for me, and it's a bit superfluous too, isn't it? What else would you cook?
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Blue Elf

QuoteTute a hahaw tengkrr 'em syuvet, slayu txen fa nikre anusekx.
My personal winner! ;D
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Kamean

Quote from: Blue Elf on March 11, 2012, 01:36:47 PM
QuoteTute a hahaw tengkrr 'em syuvet, slayu txen fa nikre anusekx.
My personal winner! ;D
And my! :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Vur’evenge

Srane!  Tsa'u sunu oeru.  ;D  Irayo seiyi haryu.
"We tend to live in a world of certainty, of undoubted, rock-ribbed perceptions: our convictions prove that things are the way we see them and there is no alternative to what we hold as true.  This is our daily situation, our cultural condition, our common way of being human" ~ Maturana & Varela

Puvomun

Quote from: Vur'evenge on March 11, 2012, 03:24:46 PM

Sänumvi ahì'i / Little lesson:

Irayo seyi. No extra i in there.
Also, as a tip: when you address someone, you should put "ma" before the title or name. "ma haryu". It is a kind of attention marker, or a politeness indicating you are talking (writing) to someone.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Puvomun on March 11, 2012, 03:53:59 PM
Quote from: Vur'evenge on March 11, 2012, 03:24:46 PM

Irayo seiyi is correct. s<ei>i is not correct as two "i" are together, therefore additional "y" is put between them.
Quote from: horen leNa'vi2.3.3. Affect Infix Epenthesis. When the positive affect infix ‹ei› is followed by the vowel i or ì a y is inserted, seiyi < *s‹ei›i, veykrreiyìn < *veykrr‹ei›ìn.

Vur’evenge

Also, as a tip: when you address someone, you should put "ma" before the title or name. "ma haryu". It is a kind of attention marker, or a politeness indicating you are talking (writing) to someone.

All lesson greatly appreciated, ma Puvomum.  I have used "ma" in other posts, but wasn't sure this time if it applied when addressing more than one person, when using a plural noun, like haryu.  Is "ma" possessive then in that instance, "my teachers"?   ;)
"We tend to live in a world of certainty, of undoubted, rock-ribbed perceptions: our convictions prove that things are the way we see them and there is no alternative to what we hold as true.  This is our daily situation, our cultural condition, our common way of being human" ~ Maturana & Varela

Seze Mune

"Ma" is only used when addressing someone directly, ma Vur'evenge.  If I were talking about you, I would just say your name - no 'ma' is used.  "Ma" is neither possessive nor plural, but you can use it when you are talking to groups: 'Ma oeyä Na'viyä', which in this case might mean something like 'You, my Na'vi people...'

As for irayo seiyi,  I use this when I am very pleased as is indicated by the 'ei' infix.  You could just irayo si someone out of mere politesse and leave off the mood.  I suppose I could irayo sängi someone if I were being sarcastic, although I've never seen it used.

Vur’evenge

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 11, 2012, 05:17:03 PM
"Ma" is only used when addressing someone directly, ma Vur'evenge.  If I were talking about you, I would just say your name - no 'ma' is used.  "Ma" is neither possessive nor plural, but you can use it when you are talking to groups: 'Ma oeyä Na'viyä', which in this case might mean something like 'You, my Na'vi people...'

As for irayo seiyi,  I use this when I am very pleased as is indicated by the 'ei' infix.  You could just irayo si someone out of mere politesse and leave off the mood.  I suppose I could irayo sängi someone if I were being sarcastic, although I've never seen it used.

Fìtrr lu sìltsana trr.  Mental notes, digital notes, hand-scribbled notes...    Oeri re'o tìsraw si.  ;)
Going to play Chuzzle now!
Kìyevame

Seze Mune

Pay mì fayfya laytem atxan, slä rì'ìr tsawke nì'eng lu.

The water in the stream changes many times, but the reflection of the moon is still the same.

(This can have many meanings.)

Seze Mune

Ikran ke kawkrr latem aytanhì sneyä.

The ikran cannot change his spots.

Ikran ke kawkrr latem sneyä pil tokxä.

WARNING: Double possessive!

Puvomun

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 12, 2012, 10:21:31 AM

The water in the stream changes many times, but the reflection of the moon is still the same.

There is no word for moon (yet). I'd stick to 'big star' (tanhì apxa) for that for now. Note that Polyphemus is the 'Rrta word for the planet, naming this nìNa'vi is in the realm of James Cameron.

Laytem - should be latem I think. Laytem is halfway between layatem (will change) and latem (changes).

My suggestion:
Pay fayfyayä latem pxìm, slä rì'ìr tanhìä apxa (fu: tsawkeyä) frakrr teng lu .

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Puvomun on March 12, 2012, 12:15:19 PM

There is no word for moon (yet). I'd stick to 'big star' (tanhì apxa) for that for now. Note that Polyphemus is the 'Rrta word for the planet, naming this nìNa'vi is in the realm of James Cameron.

Laytem - should be latem I think. Laytem is halfway between layatem (will change) and latem (changes).

My suggestion:
Pay fayfyayä latem pxìm, slä rì'ìr tanhìä apxa (fu: tsawkeyä) frakrr teng lu .

Nice!

Or...Pay fayfyayä latem frakrr, slä rì'ìr tsawkeyä frakrr teng lu.

Puvomun

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 12, 2012, 12:28:13 PM
Or...Pay fayfyayä latem frakrr, slä rì'ìr tsawkeyä frakrr teng lu.

Pay fayfyayä latem frakrr, slä rì'ìr tsawkeyä ke latem kawkrr

is actually very nice, because of the end-rhyme it has (krr + krr).

(Note: fo is lenited plural of po. They. "or" is fu.)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Blue Elf

txan is adjective, but adverb fits here; also on the place of adverb nì'eng we need adjective :). I'd use:
Pay a mì ayfayfya latem nìtxan/mi/frakrr, slä rì'ìr tsawkeyä txonä lu teng mi.
Water in stream changes very much/still/every day, but reflection of the moon is still the same.
Personally I use tsawke txonä for "moon" (sun of the night), no negative responses until now (wou!)

QuoteIkran ke kawkrr latem aytanhì sneyä.

If you negate verb, "ke" must go before that verb, ay+ causes lenition. Your first sentence says exactly "Ikran does not change his bioluminescent stars". If you really want to say "it can't do it", use tsun:

Ikran ke tsun leykivatem sanhìt sneyä. As latem is intransitive, I think <eyk> is good here. literary: Ikran can't cause to change his bio... stars.
Similarly the second sentence:
Ikran ke tsun leykivatem pilit tokxä sneyä. Here word order is not completely free - possessed thing must be next to possessor.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Blue Elf on March 12, 2012, 03:00:04 PM

QuoteIkran ke kawkrr latem aytanhì sneyä.

If you negate verb, "ke" must go before that verb, ay+ causes lenition. Your first sentence says exactly "Ikran does not change his bioluminescent stars". If you really want to say "it can't do it", use tsun:

Ikran ke tsun leykivatem sanhìt sneyä. As latem is intransitive, I think <eyk> is good here. literary: Ikran can't cause to change his bio... stars.
Similarly the second sentence:
Ikran ke tsun leykivatem pilit tokxä sneyä. Here word order is not completely free - possessed thing must be next to possessor.

I think I meant that an ikran does not change his spots/stripes, but I like the tsun version as well. :)

I like the <eyk> note, and thank you - I was wondering about causation and transitivity on this one.  Why are we adding the <iv> subjunctive?  I thought about that...something urged me that because it is a proverb and therefore the intent behind it expresses a state of possibility rather than a direct statement of action.  If that is the case, should ALL or most proverbs be expressed in the subjunctive?

Blue Elf

<iv> is required because of tsun. There's class of verb we call "modals", these are: fmi, tsun, zene, zenke, sngä'i, may', var, kan, new, ftang. They are allowed to be followed by other verb (controlled verb), and this second verb always require <iv> (just grammar rule). All other infixes go into modal verb.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Blue Elf on March 12, 2012, 03:24:57 PM
<iv> is required because of tsun. There's class of verb we call "modals", these are: fmi, tsun, zene, zenke, sngä'i, may', var, kan, new, ftang. They are allowed to be followed by other verb (controlled verb), and this second verb always require <iv> (just grammar rule). All other infixes go into modal verb.

Irayo for the note.  I am reading a little more about this in NiaN.  :)

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 12, 2012, 03:37:39 PM
Quote from: Blue Elf on March 12, 2012, 03:24:57 PM

Irayo for the note.  I am reading a little more about this in NiaN.  :)
Nìprrte' :) Check also Naviteri, that post contains many useful information