Na'vi Punishments

Started by Swok Txon, January 23, 2010, 01:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Technowraith

Stealing from another tribe is really good way to roust the neighbors in a sense.

Clan warfare isn't new, and wouldn't be surprised if stealing from other clans is one of the causes of such wars.

Some clans may things that others want. Trade agreements may collapse or not come to fruition. So if another clan wants something bad enough, it's not unusual for them to try to take it by force. Look at us humans and the whole unobtanium issue...

In the end, a system of criminal justice among the Na'vi exists. We just don't know much about it right now. The sequels may give us more insight.

See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

The sequals better give us something! It'll be a good way to show Jake's new role as Olo'ekytan, and probably practice for Neytiri as well.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Tsawkeyä Unilyu

It would be a shame if the sequals came out, and they were peices of crap.
"How much lab training have you had?"
     -Dr. Grace Augustine
"I dissected a frog once."
     -Jake Sully

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

Yea, it would, but for now I think the most severe forms of punishment, that I've seen is the cutting off of the queue(the 2007 script) and the rack that Grace and Jake are strapped to during the destruction of Kelutrel. For the most part, it seems to me that disputes might be resolved thru challenge, like when Tsu'tey challenges Jake after he has found out that he and Neytiri are mated.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Zefanaya

In may "less advanced" cultures around the world disputes over rights or power were settle with a challenge like a duel or in fictional old west she 12 noon show down. I still wonder what less severe punishments like if a child got in a fight or did something wrong.

Eywa ngahu
AM 2012 - Uniting the Clans Planning Team
Zephaniah Washington - [email protected]

A Furry - FA: Tirey
AMERICANS FOR PROTECTION OF FREE SPEECH

Perhaps disputes between children are settled by the parents, or maybe some sort of hug-and-make-up system like we all grew up on.

LearnNavi Forums:

Tsu'roen

Quote from: Tirey Hawnuyu on February 06, 2010, 08:20:27 PM
... "less advanced" cultures ...

Be careful with such terms or the thinkpol is gonna be after you ...
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

Zefanaya

I put less advanced in quotes because I do not consider them less advanced.

^It kinda seemed like you meant "less advanced" in the sense that they are less advanced as far as technology than the humans on Pandora?

LearnNavi Forums:

ShadowedSin

Contrary to Tsu'roen's attitude we can actually see the difference :)

I agree what many consider to be the "less advanced" challenges were usually answered either by all out war (feuds) or via dueling. In fact some "barbarian" groups instituted duels to cut down on blood feuds. The Lombards did this under one of their Kings.
\Shadow's Sin
A Blog discussion Amazon and notes for the Arrow Child Novella!

Arrow Child
An Online Serial Novel and the first story in the Amazon Diaspora Saga.

Quote from: ShadowedSin on February 07, 2010, 01:26:54 AM
Contrary to Tsu'roen's attitude we can actually see the difference :)

I agree what many consider to be the "less advanced" challenges were usually answered either by all out war (feuds) or via dueling. In fact some "barbarian" groups instituted duels to cut down on blood feuds. The Lombards did this under one of their Kings.

And of course, we can't forget the showdown at noon mentality in the Old West.

LearnNavi Forums:

ShadowedSin

Yup or the weregeld that one would pay in Germanic society when you killed someone from another tribe.
\Shadow's Sin
A Blog discussion Amazon and notes for the Arrow Child Novella!

Arrow Child
An Online Serial Novel and the first story in the Amazon Diaspora Saga.

Zefanaya

Quote from: Tukruyä Tsamsiyu on February 06, 2010, 08:42:33 PM
^It kinda seemed like you meant "less advanced" in the sense that they are less advanced as far as technology than the humans on Pandora?

right they do not have computers or cell phones or holograms or stuff that the humans had in the movie

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

Quote from: Tirey Hawnuyu on February 06, 2010, 08:38:42 PM

Ho I though you where speaking about the RDAs...

Anyway, in the situation someone is bound like Jake and Grace, what would happen next? Execution? Starvation? Do they just bind someone for a period of time and release it after that? What are your though on that?
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Zefanaya

Quote from: Kawazoe on February 07, 2010, 07:56:46 PM

Anyway, in the situation someone is bound like Jake and Grace, what would happen next? Execution? Starvation? Do they just bind someone for a period of time and release it after that? What are your though on that?
personally i think that that the rack they were bound to serves for more than just execution (in which i believe that either Tsu'te, Eytukan or Mo'at would have been tasked with killing Jake, and Grace if Quartich had not have shown up, Mo'at was carrying a knife...but then again they all carry knives all the time). I think that for perhaps the crime of lets say stealing or attacking some one in order to steal or just to harm them or just making the Olo'eyktan mad, you might be hung on that rack for a few days or for something more severe you could be left their to die or set out on that rack deep in the jungle for the animals to do what they wish with you (let Eywa decide your fate) and their is always the good old cutting off of the queue so no more Tsaheylu for that person, Just my personal thoughts.

Eywa ngahu ma aytsmukan ulte aytsmuke.

Quote from: Tirey Hawnuyu on February 08, 2010, 12:05:14 AM
Quote from: Kawazoe on February 07, 2010, 07:56:46 PM

personally i think that that the rack they were bound to serves for more than just execution (in which i believe that either Tsu'te, Eytukan or Mo'at would have been tasked with killing Jake, and Grace if Quartich had not have shown up, Mo'at was carrying a knife...but then again they all carry knives all the time). I think that for perhaps the crime of lets say stealing or attacking some one in order to steal or just to harm them or just making the Olo'eyktan mad, you might be hung on that rack for a few days or for something more severe you could be left their to die or set out on that rack deep in the jungle for the animals to do what they wish with you (let Eywa decide your fate) and their is always the good old cutting off of the queue so no more Tsaheylu for that person, Just my personal thoughts.

Eywa ngahu ma aytsmukan ulte aytsmuke.

It would seem to me that the cutting off the queue punishment is the worst possible, perhaps it is used in place of the death penalty. They cut it off and then let the na'vi live who commited the crime, seems to be the most vindictive to me.

LearnNavi Forums:

Tsa'räni

I wouldn't be surprised if those Na'vi who had their queues cut off took their own life.  Or had someone do it for them.

Or, they were forced to live for a certain period of time before being allowed to die.

LearnNavi Forums:

Tsa'räni

Quote from: Tukruyä Tsamsiyu on February 08, 2010, 03:21:03 PM
Or, they were forced to live for a certain period of time before being allowed to die.

Oooh, that's an interesting idea.  It would certainly make sense, as what's the point of cutting off the queue (as a punishment, not accidental) if they're allowed to just go off themselves right away?

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I'm not sure if suicide would be something they want. To them, death means joining Eywa, but with out the queue they will just vanish into nothing. I'd imagine that this is something they would want to delay as long as possible.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng