Na'vi Skin Texture

Started by Hufwe ta'em, June 04, 2010, 10:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hufwe ta'em

Again i where asking my self if the Na'vi have the same skin like human or if they are different texture ...

ToktorGrace

http://www.hdwallpapers.in/walls/avatar_high_resolution-wide.jpg

There is a super-close-up of Jake and Neytiri; from the looks of it, their skin is less porous than human skin, and it appears to have a bit more luster - I imagine their skin is slightly thicker, and maybe closer to the skin make up of the other animals; where there is less hair/fur for protection, so the skin has to do more shielding from the elements, making it smoother and tougher than our delicate human skin (this is based off of me looking at Neytiri, as Jake is a little more out of focus, and my knowledge of biology)

I know there are some other hi-res images on here of the characters; but since that is as close as we can get to the Na'vi; I'd say your guess is as good as mine.
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Ash

I do have another close up of Neytiri's face and there you can see an amazing amount of detail, even more than at Truro's link(the eye's stroma, pores, wrinkles, tiny new hairs at the hairline, small veins and pigment spots on the inside of the ear, it's all there). Judging from that, the structure of the skin seems to be quite similar to ours with regard to pores and wrinkles. But I agree with Truro that it seems to have a bit more luster, and sometimes it seems to be almost like rubber, which would support the theory that it is a bit tougher than human skin.

ToktorGrace

Quote from: Ash on June 07, 2010, 01:52:55 PM
I do have another close up of Neytiri's face and there you can see an amazing amount of detail, even more than at Truro's link(the eye's stroma, pores, wrinkles, tiny new hairs at the hairline, small veins and pigment spots on the inside of the ear, it's all there). Judging from that, the structure of the skin seems to be quite similar to ours with regard to pores and wrinkles. But I agree with Truro that it seems to have a bit more luster, and sometimes it seems to be almost like rubber, which would support the theory that it is a bit tougher than human skin.

Oh - I'd be interested if you've posted the picture anywhere :3
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

Ash

I don't know anymore where I got it from, but when I am at home this evening I will check if I can upload it here or anywhere else  :). It's quite big and I don't know right now what the limits for picture size are here at learnnavi.

ToktorGrace

Quote from: Ash on June 08, 2010, 01:31:30 AM
I don't know anymore where I got it from, but when I am at home this evening I will check if I can upload it here or anywhere else  :). It's quite big and I don't know right now what the limits for picture size are here at learnnavi.

Ah no worries then  :)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Ash on June 08, 2010, 01:31:30 AM
If it's really large, put it in spoiler tags. If you mean the file size, there's always imageshack.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Ash

I meant both, but first the filesize - but yes, imageshack took care of that, thanks for reminding me  :)

So here we go:

Tìrey Tsmukan

Wow, looking at Ash's picture, it makes me realize how damn good the graphics people are! Amazing. *Sly grin* or perhaps, Neytiri is real! Jk...

Anyway, on topic, I agree with everything that was said here. But I have one thing to add, Na'vi skin may have other chemical additives that our skin doesn't. E.g, a natural sun block to stop UV rays. Not to mention Oils and things.
I would imagine that that natural forming Carbon fiber that's in their bones would manifest itself in other places. So perhaps there's a strengthening agent in their skin as well? Kxawm?

Simply amazing picture. Gosh, I can't stop looking at it.

Anyway, Irayo ma Hufwe ta'em, fpi "great topic"  ;D

Eywa ayngahu!

Swoka Ikran

WOW. Didn't think it'd be THAT big...really good pic. It certainly does show the texture on their skin.

Quote from: Tìrey Tsmukan on June 08, 2010, 12:10:14 PM
I would imagine that that natural forming Carbon fiber that's in their bones would manifest itself in other places. So perhaps there's a strengthening agent in their skin as well? Kxawm?
It would make sense for there to be some form of strengthening agent. Otherwise they'd likely be much more scratched up from the forest than we see in the movie (little to none).

Quote from: Tìrey Tsmukan on June 08, 2010, 12:10:14 PM
Simply amazing picture. Gosh, I can't stop looking at it.
I'm tempted to make that my desktop wallpaper...the one Truro linked is the one I'm using now.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Ekirä

I don't have much to say on the subject except that from looking at the picture, Neytiri's skin looks more porous than human skin, and also waxier/tougher.

What I really wanted to say is that is one hell of an amazing photo, Ash!!!  :o SO beautiful and crystal clear. Thank you for posting it.