Na'vi Tirea sì Vitra, how do they think?

Started by Tìrey Tsmukan, May 02, 2010, 10:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìrey Tsmukan

Kaltxì frapo.

I've found myself wondering about the Na'vi spirit and soul, what do they believe? it's obvious they believe in a spirit, in this case a connection to Eywa when you die. they also believe that the 'atokirina are needed in transferring this energy. (scene of Neytiri placing a sprite on a dead man's body) I'm sure they feel the Tsaheylu is a sort of "Tether" for the spirit to pass between beings. beyond that, I'm not sure exactly. Do they feel there is a spirit that isn't concerned with Tsaheylu? a sort of energy that flows between everything but not through Tsaheylu. do they believe a type of Soul? do the believe dreams are an access to Eywa or the soul without dying or using the Tree of souls or a tree of voices? do they believe in a cosmic energy, (I'm thinking they do.) do they believe in a universe, or do they think the stars are spirits like the Native peoples did on Earth? these ideas has been discussed in other topics, but not in the same way that I'm asking.

Srak? fire away oeyä aysmuktu!

Eywa ngahu!

Muzer

Well, the word for star is the same as the one for the bioluminescent dots on their faces IIRC, so maybe they just thought of them as glowy dots? Lol, doesn't seem likely :P

Maybe they thought of the sky as a person (like how the planet is sort of a person, or more accurately the trees), but one who they can't talk to?
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Txur’Itan

The parallels are incidental, and likely not literal.

Based on the Dialog in the movie...

What I think...

The Na'vi are thinking is that their loved ones are alive, and living that life within Eywa.

私は太った男だ。

Toruk Makto

... With that in mind, I hope that James Cameron is talking to karyu Pawl about just such stuff. This language is going to have to grow in the direction of future films.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Ohakya

Well, I think the Na'vi probably believe/think what Eywa wants them to think. Which could be a number of things, like what Neytiri said, "That all energy is borrowed, and one day must return." Like when the Na'vi man or woman died in the one scene, and Neytiri also said that "theres a deep connection that runs all throughout the forest." But I'm not quite sure, good question! :)

Eywa Ngahu!!

Tìrey Tsmukan

hmm, part of me is very surprised this topic hasn't really started anything. ah well.
Quote from: Txur'Itan on May 02, 2010, 03:58:44 PM
The parallels are incidental, and likely not literal.

Based on the Dialog in the movie...

What I think...

The Na'vi are thinking is that their loved ones are alive, and living that life within Eywa.

I like what Txur'Itan said, but that is almost purely concerned with linguistics, and so I cannot say much on that subject. But it is definitely a topic with which I hope JC and Karyu pawl speak of.

Quote from: Ohakya on May 06, 2010, 09:27:22 PM
Well, I think the Na'vi probably believe/think what Eywa wants them to think. Which could be a number of things, like what Neytiri said, "That all energy is borrowed, and one day must return." Like when the Na'vi man or woman died in the one scene, and Neytiri also said that "theres a deep connection that runs all throughout the forest." But I'm not quite sure, good question! :)

Eywa Ngahu!!

Perhaps what Neytiri means by energy is a spirit? When you look at some other cultures, you see there is a coincidence among almost all of them, the spirit goes somewhere. Here, the energy is returning to Eywa; as memories, feelings, emotions, and from what I understand, in an only basic existence. Meaning just what it sounds like, only energy. That seems erroneous to me, as as almost all other culture believe that the spirit retains it's identity, existence, and overall personality. So, what does it all translate too? do they believe in reincarnation, in which case the spirit is stored as memories, then replaced in a physical body later. Do they believe that all spirits stay with Eywa for all time? in which case the memories would begin to become a cacophony of information and data. These are all paths that could come after death, and I'm not asking for a definite answer, of course, I just want to hear others ideas.

on the second quote, "there's a deep connection that runs all throughout the forest," could simply be a meaning of the circle of life. Everything effects everything else. Or it could be a spiritual connection, everything is there for a reason, or that each life is sacred. this second question reminds me of another Neytiri quote, "they did not need to die." This implies that she believes that their spirits were lost or somehow maimed. otherwise she would have put it off as fate, or cosmic destiny. This may mean several things, She does not believe in reincarnation, because if she did she would have been perhaps less angry, but still seeing it as a loss. She does not believe in fate, as I've already covered. And a few others that for some reason are evading my mind at the moment. This all points to one fact, she saw it as a loss. it makes me wonder if the Na'vi believe that the Animals go to Eywa as well... (though they probably do)

ahh, my head is all tired now. I'm going to think about this more, for now, I hope you're minds are more productive than mine.

Eywa ngahu!