Navi use drugs?-Now with Alcohol thread

Started by TehNaviNator, January 26, 2010, 03:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsu'roen

"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

^Why thats in a spoiler tag, I haven't a clue, its in the publicly available script. LOL
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

'Itan Atxur

But not everybody has read the script, so we might as well.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Tsu'roen

Quote from: Tukruyä Tsamsiyu on February 12, 2010, 01:43:30 PM
^Why thats in a spoiler tag, I haven't a clue, its in the publicly available script. LOL
I did that because the original post was in spoiler tags
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

'Itan Atxur

Ever been to a topic with pretty much all spoilers? The only word you actually see is "Spoiler" about a million times, lol.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Getting off topic people. Not everyone has read the old script, and because we don't know what parts Cameron has completely cut from the story and what he wants to put in the next movie quotes from it should have spoiler warnings.

Back onto topic.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Elektrolurch

All in all, I don't believe, that the Na'vi drink or use Alcohol. On Pandora, it must be very laborious to obtain Alcohol in a useable form, for example beer or wine.

The question I have is: Why do some people, tribes or cultures on Earth take drugs?
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

Tsu'roen

Quote from: uniltìyìranyu on February 13, 2010, 04:16:00 AM
All in all, I don't believe, that the Na'vi drink or use Alcohol. On Pandora, it must be very laborious to obtain Alcohol in a useable form, for example beer or wine.

Oh they have alcohol (or the pandoran equivalent) and drink it when they have celebrations or feasts!

Quote from: 2007 Script p76-77Jake braces himself -- and Tsu'tey holds up the KAVA BOWL,
offering it to him. A challenge or an olive branch?
Jake takes a long, hearty drink as some of the young hunters
hoot and clap hands in a fast rhythm.
GRACE
Watch that stuff. It'll knock you into
next week.
Jake offers the bowl back to Tsu'tey. They lock eyes.
Tsu'tey drinks.
LATER -- AN EMPTY BOWL drops, landing on a pile of empty
bowls near the fire.
WIDER ON JAKE and TSU'TEY, sitting amid the rowdy hunters.
Tsu'tey looks a little blearily at Jake. Finally, he GRINS.
TSU'TEY
I thought -- enough drink -- you would
not be so ugly.
JAKE
Sorry.

The question I have is: Why do some people, tribes or cultures on Earth take drugs?
Most commonly in tribal cultures natural (unrefined) drugs are used for spiritual/religious reasons.
I'm also not sure if in every culture every tribe member has the right to take drugs or if it is a privilege of the shaman or selected tribe members on special occasions - like for example in Avatar the dream hunt . That may vary with the culture.

And do not make the mistake to understand "drugs" in the way they are understood in today's urban society. The drugs junkies are addicted to are highly refined with the sole purpose of creating a strong addiction.

magne

Quote from: Tsu'roen on February 13, 2010, 05:51:37 AM

Oh they have alcohol (or the pandoran equivalent) and drink it when they have celebrations or feasts!

Quote from: 2007 Script p76-77Jake braces himself -- and Tsu'tey holds up the KAVA BOWL,
offering it to him. A challenge or an olive branch?
Jake takes a long, hearty drink as some of the young hunters
hoot and clap hands in a fast rhythm.
GRACE
Watch that stuff. It'll knock you into
next week.
Jake offers the bowl back to Tsu'tey. They lock eyes.
Tsu'tey drinks.
LATER -- AN EMPTY BOWL drops, landing on a pile of empty
bowls near the fire.
WIDER ON JAKE and TSU'TEY, sitting amid the rowdy hunters.
Tsu'tey looks a little blearily at Jake. Finally, he GRINS.
TSU'TEY
I thought -- enough drink -- you would
not be so ugly.
JAKE
Sorry.

Most commonly in tribal cultures natural (unrefined) drugs are used for spiritual/religious reasons.
I'm also not sure if in every culture every tribe member has the right to take drugs or if it is a privilege of the shaman or selected tribe members on special occasions - like for example in Avatar the dream hunt . That may vary with the culture.

And do not make the mistake to understand "drugs" in the way they are understood in today's urban society. The drugs junkies are addicted to are highly refined with the sole purpose of creating a strong addiction.
You displayed two examples here yourself, first one was a common drinking duel, two rivals or friends try to drink each other under the table in a party, that scene could be anywhere or anytime on earth. Kawa is alcoholic like wine or contains some sort of mild drug. I guess it's alcohol as they brew beer or something like it. Alcohol is easy to make, wine just requires you to let berries or fruit ferment; they could even do distillation. 

The other is the religious use, often to enter a dream state or get visions. This would usually be a hard drug and is probably of little other use. Pretty dangerous, even more if done alone and might not be pleasant to take, 
One constraint in a tribal society is that you spend too much dime high or use all your time getting items to get high the other in the tribe would react on it.
And yes we have lots of new, effective and cheap drugs today the once who did not work well did not sell.

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

^Given the almost immeadiate effect on Jake in the '07 script, I'd have to say that its a pretty hard-core halucinigen. Also, Grace's comment, "Careful with that stuff, it'll knock you into next week" would indicate to me that it is also a fairly hard alcoholic drink. So the Na'vi don't appear to use it on a regular basis for that reason, all the stuff they do have has very adverse affects on the Na'vi.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Tsawla Eltu Tsamsiyu

I was unaware that the Na'vi used drugs and possibly alchohol. I had only heard that they used some kind of drug for Uniltaron by ingesting glow-worms and then allowing themselves to be stung by an arachnoid.
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.