Neytiri War Paint

Started by Zefanaya, March 02, 2010, 02:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zefanaya

Kaltxi, I just back from seeing avatar again actaully about 3 hours ago and I realized something I had not really payed much attention to. Neytiri when she is shown in her war paint has a hand print on her chest in white paint I just realized that it is a human hand print (avatar body though). This leads me to belive that when two are mated and go into battle they bring parts of eachother whith them which is why Jake's hand print is on her chest in white paint.
I will post a pic later but is is 12:05 AM and "I really need to get some rack"

Eywa ngahu.

EDIT: image

courtesy of bluray.com
AM 2012 - Uniting the Clans Planning Team
Zephaniah Washington - [email protected]

A Furry - FA: Tirey
AMERICANS FOR PROTECTION OF FREE SPEECH

Tsa'räni

I think it's probably a more general thing like you have someone else help apply the war paint for you.  There are numerous references within the ASG about giving/presenting things to others, so it seems to be an important theme in their culture.  And applying war paint to someone else is just easier when you don't have things like mirrors (for the face, at least)!  Mates applying war paint to each other would be a logical extension of all that.

Edit - And don't forget, Neytiri is the one applying Jake's paint for the ceremony, and they're not mated yet.

Ash

Hmm, with Jake being Neytiri's "apprentice" for several months I would guess that may be something like the last step before he is being fully accepted into the tribe - kind of like a teachers' blessing or such. Or maybe somebody else could have done this and she chose to do so because she already did like him very much  ;)

As for the warpaint/white hand print - as there seems to be some kind of recognition with touching someone with your hand (Neytiri with Jake when he returns as Toruk Makto, Tsu'tey after that as well, Eytukan when Jake is being accepted into the tribe) I would also consider this of being something a bit more special (if given that the middle of the chest/heart region is associated with emotions by the Na'vi as well), like sharing a very close moment with your mate and carrying this into battle with you.

Txur’Itan

This and hand gestures are somewhat inter related on the subject of the hand paint on Tsu'Tey and Neytiri.

http://forum.learnnavi.org/navi-customs-and-culture/hand-gestures/msg32534/#msg32534
私は太った男だ。

Zefanaya

Quote from: Ash on March 02, 2010, 03:57:24 AM
Hmm, with Jake being Neytiri's "apprentice" for several months I would guess that may be something like the last step before he is being fully accepted into the tribe - kind of like a teachers' blessing or such. Or maybe somebody else could have done this and she chose to do so because she already did like him very much  ;)

As for the warpaint/white hand print - as there seems to be some kind of recognition with touching someone with your hand (Neytiri with Jake when he returns as Toruk Makto, Tsu'tey after that as well, Eytukan when Jake is being accepted into the tribe) I would also consider this of being something a bit more special (if given that the middle of the chest/heart region is associated with emotions by the Na'vi as well), like sharing a very close moment with your mate and carrying this into battle with you.

Quote from: Ash on March 02, 2010, 03:57:24 AM

I agree I had thought that it would be a form of sharing a special moment before the uncertainty of battle knowing that you have part of your mate the person you love no matter what happens, as for Neytiri applying his paint for the ceremony when they were not mentioned I believe was a gift they had grown quite close to each other through the training, also I think that in an apprenticeship position the Na'vi would do that any way.

Eywa ngahu

Zefanaya

OFF TOPIC BUT IT IS DAMN IMPORTANT

http://forum.learnnavi.org/your-projects-other-resources/new-navi-stuff!!-(hello-kitty-of-doom!!)/

this is amazing help Seabass keep the lights on for this sight check out this thread.

Zefanaya

/Locked for inactivity

Eywa ngahu