Possible meanings of different Pandoran animals as Na'vi uniltaron totem animals

Started by Amaya, February 03, 2011, 08:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Do apex predators appear more frequently as totem animals among human societies?

In human societies, is there any procedure for discovering, or being assigned a spirit animal? I do not have any Native American or other tribal (except Celtic way back) in my background. I just know that the lion is my totem animal because 1. I exhibit a lot of leoine traits (and a lot of leoine traits are not what people would stereotypically expect of a lion, such as peace-loving) and 2. The Lord told me I have the spirit of a lion during prayer one day many years ago. (And today, He is putting that to good use in helping lead a fight against a ban on animal ownership in our County.)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

ToktorGrace

Lol given the crazy foliage on Pandora it wouldnt surprise me if some Na'vi had plant totems... XD

I love the similarity of palulukan to the big cats on 'Rrta, but I feel way to generic and prideful to claim that as my spirit animal since I am neither known as being a strong person nor terribly fierce. I think I'll have to go with the tetrapteron (for which I couldn't find a Na'vi name but I know it was featured in the film) - small, community flying animal, cares a lot for its young :3
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Amaya

especially if they were part of what the scientists refer to as "zooplantae", I could definitely see plant totems, I agree.

Tetrapteron are "fkio"

For myself I'd be my "täftxuk" but until they're a legitimate animal (heh, yeah in my dreams) but if that wasn't on the table then I'm really not sure.  Something fairly individualistic that tends to run under the radar, with a strong pair-bond but not the group-oriented pack mindset of, for example, nantang

edit: woot! Omatikaya finally!

Säfpìltu

Quote from: Amaya on February 09, 2011, 12:50:55 AM
For myself I'd be my "täftxuk" but until they're a legitimate animal (heh, yeah in my dreams) but if that wasn't on the table then I'm really not sure.
[...]

Grats! Could you perhaps describe your täftxuk to us? Do you have any sketches?
Säfpìltu te Na'rìng Meuiaeywayä'itan.

Amaya

Quote from: Säfpìltu on February 09, 2011, 10:16:45 AM
Quote from: Amaya on February 09, 2011, 12:50:55 AM
For myself I'd be my "täftxuk" but until they're a legitimate animal (heh, yeah in my dreams) but if that wasn't on the table then I'm really not sure.
[...]

Grats! Could you perhaps describe your täftxuk to us? Do you have any sketches?

Sure.  All the relevent info is here: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=taftxuk#/d318wpu

XD anyway, closer to the topic, since these technically don't exist, what do you think a "riti person" would be like?  Usually sweet and perhaps jjust average intelligence but with a nasty temper when provoked?

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Amaya on February 09, 2011, 10:22:32 AM
XD anyway, closer to the topic, since these technically don't exist, what do you think a "riti person" would be like?  Usually sweet and perhaps jjust average intelligence but with a nasty temper when provoked?

Sounds good to me.  If we're including planimals as possible spirit creatures, then I'd probably be loreyu (helicoradian, the spiral plant): quick, a bit etherial, and very shy.
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Zanither

Sounds good to me.  If we're including planimals as possible spirit creatures, then I'd probably be loreyu (helicoradian, the spiral plant): quick, a bit etherial, and very shy.
[/quote]

definatly shy.

you know what woulds suck.... getting Teylu.... you'd have to eat your self.. ewwww :o :(
Sherlock Holmes: [handcuffed to John] Take my hand!
John Watson: Now people will definitely talk.

ToktorGrace

Quote from: Zanither on February 16, 2011, 11:40:31 PM

definatly shy.

you know what woulds suck.... getting Teylu.... you'd have to eat your self.. ewwww :o :(
[/quote]

HRH Teylu is, as Neytiri explains, the Pandoran equivalent to "Beetle Larvae" - so the spirit animal itself would be some sort of insect, not the grub teylu that is eaten.
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

Zanither

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

what would be the planimal that are flat, glowing- the ones that Jake smacks to make glow more after Neytiri sees the atokirina' all around them and tells him to come with her? that would be my planimal spirit.

as for spirit animals, I think a palulukan would definitely be mine (solitary, night-oriented- absolutely :P)
old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Neyn'ite Ateyo on February 26, 2011, 10:16:07 PM
what would be the planimal that are flat, glowing- the ones that Jake smacks to make glow more after Neytiri sees the atokirina' all around them and tells him to come with her? that would be my planimal spirit.

Pamtseowll, perhaps?

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Kì'eyawn

tangent:  Something i've wondered about is, what is an individual's relationship with his totem animal in the real world?  For example, if you find out yerik is your totem, would/could you still hunt them?  Eat them?

I could see it going both ways.  I've heard of some cultures that forbid a person hunting or in any way harming their family/clan totem animal, because they believe they share a common ancestor (or are actually descended from that animal species); but on the other hand, because of the way they view the "Balance of Life," i could also see it being mandatory for a person with a yerik totem to be present at a yerik hunt—sort of to ensure that the ayyerik are properly...respected, if that makes any sense.

But then, we see Jake and Neytiri go yerik hunting alone in the film.  So, unless Neytiri's totem is the yerik (i don't think so)...
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

ma Kì'eyawn, they respect the animals completely, anyway, while they hunt. however, I'm not quite sure whether they would hunt their totem animal or not :-\

Zanither

Quote from: Neyn'ite Ateyo on February 27, 2011, 04:51:45 PM
ma Kì'eyawn, they respect the animals completely, anyway, while they hunt. however, I'm not quite sure whether they would hunt their totem animal or not :-\

mighty good point you got there.
i can't see something like Palulukan being hunted often or at all, BUT the point still stands would they eat there totem...... i mean if i were a Na'vi who got a Yerik or talioang, i would be a little bit hesetant to eat my Spiritual self..... it would, for lack of a better comparison, be like eating or killing your family or friend  :'(........

Amaya

Quote from: Zanither on February 28, 2011, 03:29:39 AM
Quote from: Neyn'ite Ateyo on February 27, 2011, 04:51:45 PM

mighty good point you got there.
i can't see something like Palulukan being hunted often or at all, BUT the point still stands would they eat there totem...... i mean if i were a Na'vi who got a Yerik or talioang, i would be a little bit hesetant to eat my Spiritual self..... it would, for lack of a better comparison, be like eating or killing your family or friend  :'(........

Well, there's always the other viewpoint on this that you often see in native populations: that by eating the flesh of an animal you allow that animal to "live on" within you, or take a portion of that animal's strength or aspect into yourself.

I was just about to say that, ma Amaya. it is choice to eat your tireaioang; but I believe that if you were to, it would live as a part of you. ;)

Zanither

ToktorGrace

Ive done a sketch for nantang and pa'li totems .. still need to scan them, and maybe edit them a little as they're not super amazing :P Just general.

Lol I can't help but think of Brother Bear, though I know they didn't choose their totems the totems chose them!

archaic

Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.