Possible meanings of different Pandoran animals as Na'vi uniltaron totem animals

Started by Amaya, February 03, 2011, 08:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I suspect that most 'animal people' know what their totem animal is without the need for psychoactive drugs. And if you spend time with this particular animal species, their response to you will let you know if you are correct in your assumptions. (It worked for me!)

For peole that are not 'animal people', it is much harder. Maybe the unitaron becomes necessary to identify their totem animal. But if a person is not in tune with animals to begin with (and I would assume all Na'vi are in tune with animals in some way), do they really have a totem animal, or does it even matter? Look at the way people relate to animals. There many in our society who are so out of tune with animals that they can't tell a lion from a tiger-- two iconic animals frequently used as cultural symbols. IMHO, these are the people who 'truly cannot see', and I kind of feel sorry for them.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

allrock123

Some cultures use Psychoactive drugs in vision quests , But many do not , there is a very good example at the start of the film dreamkeeper that depicts the lore storys of North American native peoples like the Lakota (Sioux people) it tells the story of a young man sent up a mountan by the elders to adddress troubeling issue in his life in this case instead of psychoactive drugs  he is Fasting and praying for 4 days , The low bugget film dreamkeeper is one of few films to depict authentic native amarican lore and the journey of a troubled young man who has been asked to take his dying grandfather to the all nations pow wow , Avatar uses many "mirrored examples" presented through a very well crafted fantasy shell I have a lot of respect for how the film "reflects" on our own image as a people first let me point to the film "dreamkeeper" on youtube some may find it intresting and a lot of work went into making sure the storys where authentic
" The Lakota Legends ( Part 1 ) " (follow the multipart thread) it also shows how in some cases Elders use these stoys to "Reflect" on the issues the troubled young men (or woman) is going through "To help them see" themselves the issues behind there problems"  How does this relate to Avatar,,, Avatar uses mirror storytelling to reflect on things we all "Relate to deep inside" some of those connections go very deep into our inner understanding reflecting our feeling of place in the world , James Cameron has said this himself.

The success of the Avatar is very interesting," Mr. Cameron observes. "I think it says less about the movie's ability to "change people's minds" than about the movie's ability to "key into" what people are thinking at the subconscious level." At the intellectual level, we're in denial about the state of the planet,(Avatar also addresses something we all relate to deep inside our "True Freedom" and cultural accountability) Cameron argues, "but at the subconscious level, "We know the truth" !!!. we all know this inside and can not deny it, Avatar pulls some to this deep connective
"bonded" inner understanding that is the power behind of a truthful mirror story.I would like to point to the making of dreamkeeper as an example so that people can hear how The people "feel" about this films message " The making of Dreamkeeper - Part 1 "

Lets try get back on the focus of this thread but to do so we need to "see" Filmmaker James Camerons Real world refrences behind Avatars Mirror storytelling lets take a look at one of his creatures "The Thandor" its a huge black cat like creature that instills fear into everyone in its presence for good reason "But" it may mirror quite strongly a real world cultural Totem animal" and also a cultural connection "Behind" the Na'Vi" themselves,  The Thandor is a "Black Jaguar like creature with its own unique alien twist" Avatar takes it's cultural spiritual refrences from many very "real" world sources "Why did Cameron chose do this" ? because as the film was shown around the world to many diffrent peoples they hopefully they all will see something that catches there inner understanding something they "sublimly relate to"  these real world cultures and places reflect on charters in the film and Pandora itself, Real world "Na'vi" so to speak and real world Pandora "like the Amazon rainforest" let me try and point to a real world example "The Jaguar Shaman of the Amazon" in central and south amarica there are many examples feel free to do your own research I found it quite a experence in real world understanding reflected in Avatar itself  
and i would like to know peoples opinions on this ,"  Traditional knowledge of the jaguar shamans of Yuruparí " if one is intrested this is one look at what the Jaguar represents as a Totem animal if the Thandor mirrors this (and it might not) the meaning should be the same  , http://www.linsdomain.com/totems/pages/panther.htm "
Irayo      

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The Thanator (not Thanador) IMHO embodies all the qualities of cats in general, and big cats specifically. I think any person who has any kind of cat totem will be attracted to this Pandoran beast.

A very well known Lakota, who is very much in touch with his spiritual roots (and has perhaps the strongest cat totem I have ever seen) tells me that there is no specific cat totem by species-- cat totems are generic. But I disagree. I think that most people are drawn ti one, or a narrow range of cat species, based on a lot of factors I do not understand. Cats will choose the people they will bond with, and for me, this happens more with lions and ligers than it does tigers and the other big cat species.

Regardless of the spiritual explanation that may exist behind our choice of totem animal (if it is a choice), it is something that should be very empowering in one's life.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

allrock123

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on September 27, 2012, 07:44:30 PM
The Thanator (not Thanador) IMHO embodies all the qualities of cats in general, and big cats specifically. I think any person who has any kind of cat totem will be attracted to this Pandoran beast.

A very well known Lakota, who is very much in touch with his spiritual roots (and has perhaps the strongest cat totem I have ever seen) tells me that there is no specific cat totem by species-- cat totems are generic. But I disagree. I think that most people are drawn ti one, or a narrow range of cat species, based on a lot of factors I do not understand. Cats will choose the people they will bond with, and for me, this happens more with lions and ligers than it does tigers and the other big cat species.

Regardless of the spiritual explanation that may exist behind our choice of totem animal (if it is a choice), it is something that should be very empowering in one's life.

I may have confused people with the Lakota examples and then Speaking on the Thantor (sorry about my spelling earlyer) , of one wants to take a look at Big Cat totem refrences only my lower video example would apply one would need to look at the lore of Central and South American native peoples , often called The Condor peoples they have very strong connections to the big cat family in there spiritual lore.