Profanity and Slang

Started by Lorey, July 02, 2010, 03:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorey

Do you think Na'vi would have any profanity and/or slang?

I know there is skxawng, but that's not really swearing or vulgar. I take it as more playful but can have a mean meaning to it too when used it the right context.

Do you think any words would turn into a bad meaning? Such as in the old days, and I think some places still call it this, a donkey or mule was called an ass but now it means a persons butt or it means a person is stupid or foolish. It is also used lightly now a days instead of it being as offensive as it used to be.

I know language and it's words evolve over time and meanings change with some words, so would it be plausible for it to happen on Pandora too? Usually words change with technology (I think that's what I remember reading) and even though the Na'vi were introduced to it when the humans came, they are not going to adapt to using the technology and so the words wouldn't change meaning?

And would they have/use slang? Slang meaning informal language consisting of words and expressions that are not considered appropriate for formal occasions; usually seen as vulgar.

Since profanity and slang usually go hand in hand, that's why I'm posting this as one topic. So basically what I'm getting at in all of this is whether or not you think profanity and slang would appear over time or would the language stay clean and have words only as harmful as skxawng?

Carborundum

Na'vi most certainly does have profanity and slang. We already have pxasìk, which is considered very vulgar. There is also this message from Frommer which deals with the subject of adolescent slang.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Muzer

I must point out that in British English, ass still means donkey/mule, as well as stupid or foolish person, and arse means bum, and is obviously also used for similar usages of American "ass" when referring to bum, as well as a few more not commonly found in the US (can't be arsed = can't be bothered).
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Carborundum on July 02, 2010, 04:37:23 PM
Na'vi most certainly does have profanity and slang. We already have pxasìk, which is considered very vulgar. There is also this message from Frommer which deals with the subject of adolescent slang.

Which page?
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Carborundum

Quote from: ll.sxkxawng on July 02, 2010, 11:06:40 PM
Quote from: Carborundum on July 02, 2010, 04:37:23 PM

Which page?
First page, first post. Search for "slang".
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

'Oma Tirea

^^ Found it, irayo.

It looks like the most recent slang word "wou" isn't profane.  All I can see for profane words so far is "pxasìk," which is vulgar, but in a not-so-insulting way, and of course "skxawng," which isn't really too vulgar, and neither of those seem to be slang.  Sometimes profanity and slang can be different.

Quote from: Lorey on July 02, 2010, 03:19:38 PM
Do you think any words would turn into a bad meaning? Such as in the old days, and I think some places still call it this, a donkey or mule was called an ass but now it means a persons butt or it means a person is stupid or foolish. It is also used lightly now a days instead of it being as offensive as it used to be.

I doubt it.  The Na'vi seem to have such a high level of integrity, and it would apply to their language too.

Usually words change with technology (I think that's what I remember reading) and even though the Na'vi were introduced to it when the humans came, they are not going to adapt to using the technology and so the words wouldn't change meaning?

Srane.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Technowraith

We only know of pxasik for now. But I'm sure there are other words out there. Frommer hasn't released anymore on the subject of vulgarity and such. But he has indicated that pxasik is a very vulger term to the Na'vi.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Lolet

What up, Lorey!  ;D

I was thinking Na'vi might say "poop".

I was hiking with my cousins, and I tripped over a root. I yelled "Pxasik!" and hopped around swearing with random nouns.

"Sa'nok sempul tsmukan tsmuke!"

My cousin just laughed at me.

Lorey

Quote from: ll.sxkxawng on July 03, 2010, 12:31:02 PM

I doubt it.  The Na'vi seem to have such a high level of integrity, and it would apply to their language too.

That's what I was thinking too actually. Hopefully it'd stay the same and they respect themselves and not change who they are. But you never know, they may just change from some rogue child of theirs?

Lolet

I would think that they would have words to express frustration.

Maybe Jake introduced some new "vocabulary".

P.A.'li makto

Quote from: Lolet Maticay Omatikaya on July 05, 2010, 02:14:11 PM
I would think that they would have words to express frustration.

Maybe Jake introduced some new "vocabulary".
Seems very possible to me. And also having some sawtute among them can cause a lot of frustration... But otherwise I think the Na'vi people and language are much "cleaner" then that of the sawtute's...

facebook: soaia leNa`vi

Muzer

Well, it's conceivable - wou is Jake's doing.

Lolet

wou?

I can just imagine the look Mo'at would give him if he tought the eveng any new words. *shudders*

Txepä Tsyal

After the destruction and evil that the Sawtute brought with them, one wonders if Tawtute would become a profane word amongst the Na'vi?
New personal modo:

Lolet

Perhaps not, I don't think they would want to offend their new friends (Norm, Max, etc.). Also, I think it would sting a little for Jake.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Dracus_Pyrus13 on July 05, 2010, 11:36:46 PM
After the destruction and evil that the Sawtute brought with them, one wonders if Tawtute would become a profane word amongst the Na'vi?

Tawtute would most likely be a coined stereotypical term by the Na'vi, not intended to be vulgar or offensive.  Same thing with the terms faketuan, ke(tu)wong, and uniltìranyu.
Good catch, ma kä'eng

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Kä'eng

Quote from: ll.sxkxawng on July 05, 2010, 11:48:14 PM
Tawtute would most likely be a coined stereotypical term by the Na'vi, not intended to be vulgar or offensive.  Same thing with the terms faketuan, ke(tu)wong, and uniltìranyu.
faketuan isn't a real word, it probably came from someone mishearing fìketuwong in the movie.
Ma evi, ke'u ke lu prrte' to fwa sim tuteot ayawne.
Slä txo tuteo fmi 'ivampi ngat ro seng, fu nìfya'o, a 'eykefu ngati vä', tsakem ke lu sìltsan.
Tsaw lu ngeyä tokx! Kawtu ke tsun nìmuiä 'ivampi ngat txo ngal ke new tsakemit.
Ha kempe si nga? Nì'awve, nga plltxe san kehe. Tsakrr, ngal tsatsengti hum!

P.A.'li makto

Quotefaketuan isn't a real word, it probably came from someone mishearing fìketuwong in the movie.
? Really?!? I've removed it from my vocabulary immediately!!!

facebook: soaia leNa`vi

Muzer

Wou is just Na'vified "whoa" - Jake says whoa a lot and the youth picked it up as slang.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Muzer on July 06, 2010, 07:32:35 AM
Wou is just Na'vified "whoa" - Jake says whoa a lot and the youth picked it up as slang.

...and yet "wau" isn't Na'vified yet?  Hmm... as if "pak" and "nang" aren't enough...

ÌTXTSTXRR!!