Purple pants

Started by Lolet, July 21, 2010, 09:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lolet

Maybe it's strictly for female leaders?

keftxo

Possibly, yes.

In reality though I think the designers just thought it looks good.
"And I pray one prayer--I repeat it till my tongue stiffens--Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you--haunt me, then! The murdered DO haunt their murderers, I believe. I know that ghosts HAVE wandered on earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only DO not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I CANNOT live without my life! I CANNOT live without my soul!"
- Emily Bronte

Ekirä

There has to be some significance to the fact that we've only seen it twice--and the two we have seen it on have a lot in common. They both ride an ikran, have high status in their clan and are female. The only other high-status female I have seen in Avatar is Moat, and she doesn't ride an ikran. I watched the movie again and looked closely at all the ikran rider's legs and didn't see anyone else wearing them. Nor did I see any on pa'li riders.

keftxo

Very good points all around Ekirä, and it actually made me think of something else: Do we actually see any female Ikran riders apart from those two? Obviously it's impossible to say that those in the background are male or female, but I do find it telling that the only two confirmed female Ikran riders have the "purple pants."

I hereby declare that we should refer to this as the "purple pants conspiracy."
"And I pray one prayer--I repeat it till my tongue stiffens--Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you--haunt me, then! The murdered DO haunt their murderers, I believe. I know that ghosts HAVE wandered on earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only DO not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I CANNOT live without my life! I CANNOT live without my soul!"
- Emily Bronte

Ekirä

Irayo ma Keftxo!

You have a good point about actually seeing other female riders--we do see them, but not up close, most of them too far away to tell if they are wearing purple pants.

There is one female ikran rider we've seen for sure--although we don't see her riding her ikran close up. When Jake goes up Iknimaya, he has other young prospective taronyus going with him and one of those is female. Naturally she wouldn't wear purple pants before she gets her ikran, but after when they are all flying together in a line and all have face-guards and ikran saddles, I didn't really see purple (or any other color :D) pants on her. Granted, there wasn't a close up of her but I don't think she was wearing them.....Here's the best screenshot I could get of her--I can't tell who's the male and who's the female in this pic but she is one of them for sure. The majority of ikran riders seem to wear calf guards, but Neytiri and Eastern Sea girl are the only ones (we've seen) that wear them up to the thighs.

I know, it's a lousy picture and doesn't prove anything, but I can't find any sign of purple pants on those riders.

If only we could just ask Neytiri!

Lolet

It just doesn't seem like the Na'vi would say, "Hey, you don't get to protect your legs, you're not a special GIRL".

Ekirä

Yeah...the Na'vi just aren't that type of culture. That makes me think the purple pants are more decorative than practical. But they're pretty nice looking.

I want some purple pants too!!  :-[

Lolet

I want a little bicep band.  :P

And no one else has earrings either...

Ekirä

Actually, what I REALLY want is a headband thingy for when you're on an ikran. I think I might make one someday...the only problem is the eye shields. They look to be sturdy insect wings which I def don't have. Maybe I'll just leave them off...glass would be way too dangerous around the eyes.

No one else has earrings?? Weird....I've never thought to look for that. Interesting. Sounds like Neytiri is a special gal to get to wear all the cool stuff!!

Hey, look, I'm a Tawtute now :)

Lolet

I'm a taronyu! Wee!

I think there's an old thread on Neytiri's earrings. I think the theory was that she just picked them off tawtute equipment. I dunno, it's been awhile since I've seen it.  ;)

Ekirä

Ahh lucky! Taronyu is so far off for me....   :'(

Hm. That seems especially non-Neytiri-like to me for some reason....Tsu'tey, maybe. Hey, maybe he got them off some tawtute equipment and gave them to her as a gift. He was going to be her muntxatan, so he probably sometimes gave her gifts to win her affection, srak?

Lolet

I think Neytiri gets cool stuff because she's the "love interest".  ;)

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Ekirä on July 26, 2010, 11:08:09 PM
Ahh lucky! Taronyu is so far off for me....   :'(

Not for me :D
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Lolet

Just post a ton. I'm surprised at how great I am at this Internet stuff!

Do Na'vi have string?

Payä Tìrol

Pretty hard to make a working bow if you don't have reasonably high-tension string :P
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

Ekirä

Quote from: Lolet Maticay Tsam'Tirea Omatikaya on July 26, 2010, 11:28:04 PM
Just post a ton. I'm surprised at how great I am at this Internet stuff!

Do Na'vi have string?

I am already so addicted to blogging that this is sort of second base for me...but I'm wondering how long that will be true!

You mean for their bows and stuff? I believe they use animal sinew for that. That's what the native Americans did for bow string at least.

But I'm betting the Na'vi also use Pandoran plants for string...there's gotta be a bunch of sturdy ones, some way better than Earth.

Lolet

Quote from: Payä Tìrol on July 27, 2010, 06:33:07 AM
Pretty hard to make a working bow if you don't have reasonably high-tension string :P

Well, duh. Why didn't I think of that? Oe lu skxawng.  ::)

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Ikranari on July 30, 2010, 12:20:16 PM
QuoteThe strings of Na'vi bows are made from animal gut (mostly sturmbeest).

hmmm..interesting :D
where did you get to know that?

http://www.pandorapedia.com/
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

keftxo

Quote from: Ikranari on July 30, 2010, 12:20:16 PM
QuoteThe strings of Na'vi bows are made from animal gut (mostly sturmbeest).

hmmm..interesting :D
where did you get to know that?

Also that's what they used i real life. :D Gut tissue is stretchable while still remaining strong. The same reason they used to make inflatable balls out of sheep bladder.
- Emily Bronte

Meynari Ke'nawm

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on July 22, 2010, 10:04:40 AM
The main issue is just that Na'vi don't have body hair, which on humans acts as a cushion and protection from abrasion.  So those pants help to keep the skin intact and not rubbed raw
like chapps? What purple pants???????
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
PADD: Watch out...
Officially the youngest member... so far...