Religions?

Started by Elektrolurch, February 15, 2010, 11:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsawla Eltu Tsamsiyu

And so the world is safe, thanks to Kaltxì Palulukan!
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

ShadowedSin

QuoteI see that to a point, but not so much as in human tribes. The Na'vi seem so much more egalitarian. Yes, Tsu'tey and Moat sat by the fire with Olo'eyktan, but so did others. I see your philosophy and I like much of what is written here, but I feel that our human examples (the ones I am familiar with at least) are barbaric and almost too tyrannical or dictatorial for Na'vi purposes.

Not necessarily, the !Kung of the Kalahari and the Mbuti, especially the mbuti, are an egalitarian gorup that have a sort of bigman band form going. I would say that the mbuti in fact are a great example of the band society that the Na'vi seem to inhabit.

And these two cultures are generally open minded, and lack any real violence outside of disagreements.
\Shadow's Sin
A Blog discussion Amazon and notes for the Arrow Child Novella!

Arrow Child
An Online Serial Novel and the first story in the Amazon Diaspora Saga.

Tsawla Eltu Tsamsiyu

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: ShadowedSin on March 05, 2010, 12:16:02 PM
QuoteI see that to a point, but not so much as in human tribes. The Na'vi seem so much more egalitarian. Yes, Tsu'tey and Moat sat by the fire with Olo'eyktan, but so did others. I see your philosophy and I like much of what is written here, but I feel that our human examples (the ones I am familiar with at least) are barbaric and almost too tyrannical or dictatorial for Na'vi purposes.

Not necessarily, the !Kung of the Kalahari and the Mbuti, especially the mbuti, are an egalitarian gorup that have a sort of bigman band form going. I would say that the mbuti in fact are a great example of the band society that the Na'vi seem to inhabit.

And these two cultures are generally open minded, and lack any real violence outside of disagreements.

I'll say it again--you are too smart for me :)

That was a good pull.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Tsu'roen

Quote from: ShadowedSin on March 05, 2010, 12:16:02 PM

Yes, they seem to have many parallels to the Na'vi but of course also a few differences.
The most noticeable difference is probably the size: "adult males grow to less than 150 cm (4 feet 11 inches) in average height" while the Na'vi are towering 300 cm (10 feet) high.

Also it seems that they have no distinct warriors if they have any warfare at all - something where the Na'vi were rather modeled after the North American "Indians".

Unlike the Na'vi they have no own language as they speak the languages of their neighboring tribes.

It also seems their social structure is much looser than that of the Na'vi. The Na'vi, as portrait in the movie have clearly dedicated political and spiritual leaders.

But some of the similarities are striking:
They consider the forest to be their great protector and provider and believe that it is a sacred place. They sometimes call the forest "mother" or "father." - that sounds a lot like "Eywa" to me.

Also their lifestyle as hunter-gatherers is like that of the Na'vi - though that's not really a spectacular similarity.

"Molimo" is also the name of a trumpet the men play during the ritual. Traditionally, it was made of wood or sometimes bamboo, .... When not in use, the trumpet is stored in the trees of the forest. - a lot like the blue flute of the Omatikaya. I wonder if the idea for it came from here?

And like the Na'vi they are threatened by deforestation, gold mining, agricultural land development and ironically also by efforts to conserve the forests.  The most disturbing threat is that during Congo Civil War they were hunted down and eaten as though they were game animals. Both sides of the war regarded them as "subhuman" ("blue monkeys")

EDITED BY: Kaltxì Palulukan (I put the entire wikipedia quote in a spoiler. While worth reading--and pertinent to this conversation--it is rather large.)

(EDITOR'S NOTE: Still, I highly recommend perusing it. Just click on the word "Spolier" to see it in all it's glory.)
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

Tsawla Eltu Tsamsiyu

Ash

Quote from: Tsa'räni on March 05, 2010, 04:13:08 AM
"Necessity is the mother of invention."  While that's a terribly cliched quote, it's also very true.  Invention is almost always brought about through some kind of need.  [...]
I have been thinking about this (and the rest of your and magnes posting) the last days. (And Kaltxì Palulukans flaming speech for marketing  ;D with the keywords want vs. need).
Do we need flight? Certainly not, it is just the convenience of fast travel/transportation, and yet a whole lot of inventive initiative went into it. So I'd put this in the "want"-folder, and I think a whole lot of other inventions would go there as well...

What sparked my thought regarding this matter again was when I read something about how stone-beads were made in the past. As far as I understood it was (and if made by hand(especially with similar tools) would still be today) a time-consuming and hard work.
The Na'vi are shown as wearing a lot of jewellery made of beads. Also they strike me not only being very intelligent, but also very gifted artisans as we are shown a wide variety of works ranging from small jewellery and bracers over harnesses and stretchers to large hammocks/sleeping platforms and (taken from the ASG) looms.
Waterpower would be accessible to them, so why not apply some basic mechanics to assist with something like forming and polishing beads?

I would not even consider this having to be a conscious decision. Maybe it is just some kind of intuitive reluctance to pursue ideas going in this direction, and I think it would fit the Na'vi very well to not dismiss this kind of hunches and do the "logical" thing, but to trust these impulses and go a different way.

Edit: When I first had this matter going round my head, I thought about the movie "The gods must be crazy" and how the bushman N!xau refuses the "gift" from the "gods" as it makes some tasks easier, but also sows dispute. Now I see that he is from the people of the San (or !Khung as they call themselves.) See postings above. I like full circles  ;D

Tsa'räni

I was actually speaking of ancient human history with that quote, though I didn't specify.  As the quality and circumstances of life have improved for many populations, wants and other motivations have indeed replaced need on many fronts.  Though I could easily argue that there is a need buried in each of them, but that's more a semantics exercise than anything.

(For instance, do humans need to fly?  Well, businesses need to make money, and if you're in the business of transporting a lot of people long distances in relatively short amounts of time, you are going to need to invent better and better modes of flight to keep making money.  Or at least you're going to need to buy those inventions, and the businesses inventing them need to sell them, etc etc.)

Edit - A more accurate way of looking at this is that problems are the driving force behind inventions.  Of course, what each person defines as a problem is quite subjective, so what we see as a problem may not seem like one at all to the next person, or especially the Na'vi.  People generally feel that problems need to be solved, which is where the need comes in.

Ash

Quote from: Tsa'räni on March 09, 2010, 04:25:58 AM
[...]

Edit - A more accurate way of looking at this is that problems are the driving force behind inventions.  Of course, what each person defines as a problem is quite subjective, so what we see as a problem may not seem like one at all to the next person, or especially the Na'vi.  People generally feel that problems need to be solved, which is where the need comes in.
I think I can really agree especially with that statement. To me, the Na'vi outlook on life and what could be considered a problem is very different from what we have in todays "typical" western civilization. This stems from their beliefs and their spiritual feeling of connectedness and the influence this has on their lifestyle. With a more materialistic approach I could see the Na'vi having more wants or needs to be fulfilled as well.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I **need** some coffee to wake up in the morning. And I **need** to get my butt off this computer and get to work.

Oh---and I **need** that new 7 series BMW because I have to keep my social status up. No, really. If I don't, I will lose my standing, and I will have to go share time with the commoners, instead of "the pretty people."

Moral of the story: "need" and "want" are interchangeable when it comes to invention/acquisition/progress. Business don't NEED to make money. They WANT to. They can, and do, fail all the time, and other businesses and opportunities rise to take their place. Like Eywa, the free market "protects the balance" by allowing some businesses to die, no matter what the needs of the people are--at that company, or in real life, while others thrive. Greed and fear are the most powerful motivators in humans and society at large. When you take a hard look at humanity, it is not as pretty as a textbook on civilization might make you think. I would love to think that "need" was the foundation of invention, but all I have to do is look around at the world and see that is hardly the case. People are in need everywhere--but can they pay? If not, screw them! THAT is the way society has evolved (and one of the layered meanings of Avatar).

Do you kame?
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Tsa'räni

I see what you're saying, though I don't agree.

But it doesn't matter, as whether a person lists the driving force behind invention (not acquisition, which isn't the same and doesn't follow the same rules) as need, want, laziness, or whatever, the Na'vi currently have no real drive for major technological advancements through invention.  In fact, the Na'vi culture and Pandora appear to have been carefully crafted to ensure this.

Edit - It's worth noting the ongoing problems with the RDA may change this.

Tsawla Eltu Tsamsiyu

I certainly hope it does not.

Tsa'räni

Quote from: Tsawla Eltu Tsamsiyu on March 09, 2010, 02:14:42 PM
I certainly hope it does not.

So do I.  I don't see Cameron taking the story in that direction, but it's a possibility, I guess.

txur txe'lante

I do not believe that Ewya is a religious G-d of course that is what the sky people refer to her as, but she is the world. she is within every living thing linking it to the Earth. The Na'vi see the beauty of Ewya in everything around them. They may call their world Ewya and we may call it Pandora. I think Ewya is an imbodiment of the world and I believe that the Na'vi "G-d" so to speak is simply nature.

magne

Quote from: Tsa'räni on March 09, 2010, 04:25:58 AM
I was actually speaking of ancient human history with that quote, though I didn't specify.  As the quality and circumstances of life have improved for many populations, wants and other motivations have indeed replaced need on many fronts.  Though I could easily argue that there is a need buried in each of them, but that's more a semantics exercise than anything.

(For instance, do humans need to fly?  Well, businesses need to make money, and if you're in the business of transporting a lot of people long distances in relatively short amounts of time, you are going to need to invent better and better modes of flight to keep making money.  Or at least you're going to need to buy those inventions, and the businesses inventing them need to sell them, etc etc.)

You have different driving factors, for flying it started simply by the dream of being able to fly, this was that drove all the pioneers. Then it was possible and practical people started to find uses, first idea was reconnaissance and transport of mail as its light and time critical. Next are passengers and all the wartime uses, lots of use of airplanes made many people work with making improvements on them and you got better and better airplanes.

Airplanes are interesting as people has tried making them long before they had engines good enough to make them work. Historically lots of inventions came long after they started to get useful, both the Greek and the Romans would have great need for a printing press and no problems making one. The stirrup is even worse, useful and very simple to make but did not become common until medieval times.
Back to the Na'vi they would have no need for a printing press even limited use for writing. They might find the stirrup useful but probably not as they has better control over riding animals so a saddle would be mort bother than it's worth. However they would probably find lots of useful human inventions and modify them to their uses.

Teyl Maktoyu Ayfìwopxä

Eywa is the living of all things on Pandora,
Gaia is the living of all things on Earth.

:p

Elektrolurch

Quote from: Mìhìl on March 20, 2010, 03:52:19 PM
Eywa is the living of all things on Pandora,
Gaia is the living of all things on Earth.

:p

Or Mother Nature. We could also call it "Hugo", so the name doesn't matter.
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!