Surnames

Started by Kxalatsi, December 18, 2010, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kxalatsi

Seems cultural so I'll ask here.

We know Neytiri's surname is Mo'at'ite and Tsu'tey's is Ateyitan.  Do we know if the pattern of daughter-of-mother and son-of-father is the standard?  Also, as for "te Tskaha" and "te Rongloa", what are these family lines?

Irayo,
Kxalatsi

Amaya

Those aren't actually their surnames, they're the same as the Russian "Andreovich" or "Petrovna", although in this case it would seem that girls use a matronymic rather than a patronymic.  Presumably if Eytukan and Mo'at had a son, his name would have been "___ te Tskaha Etukanitan"

The "surname" would seem to be placed in the middle in this case, the "Tskaha" and "Rongloa" being family or clan names.

But that's just my interpretation, of course. ;)

Mako

Ayoel tìarmpängkxo satit teri trram mì TeamSpeak.

What I remember is that it's set up as:

Name + te + Family Name + Father/Mother's Name + 'itan/'ite

In my case:

Reyona te Tsateka Ray'i'itan.

As further justification of my proof:

Quote from: Tsu'roen on January 31, 2010, 10:04:47 AM
...The survival guide lists in the Na'vi - English dictionary "te" as "particle used in full names"...

(But some more picky members *cough* Tirea *cough* don't accept it as canon and are therefore reluctant to adknowledge it.)

Kxalatsi

Irayo nìtxan.

The Omatikaya are lead by an olo'eyktan.  Is olo' more properly the word for tribe if the family line is a clan?  Or, perhaps, do you think we'll get a word for family line?

Sireayä mokri

Yes, olo' means clan and, as I can remember, whatever comes after te is a tribe name within a clan.
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Mako

Te is the equivalent of saying "Reyona of the Tsateka".

Txura Rolyu

I know my tsawtute surname is related to where my ancestors lived. Dennewitz is actually a place in Germany. "Dennew" (from "danne" meaning forest) and "itz" (meaning village). Would the Navi have something similar as to where they came from or does the tribe take that place seeing as they dont travel?
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*