The Na'vi don't write, do they?

Started by P.A.'li makto, March 17, 2012, 06:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìtstewan

Actually we don't know if the Na'vi have a writing system or not, also we don't know if those signs are by Na'vi or created by sciencist for kind of a symbol comunication. But there is the question why not simply use of latin letters?
If one could find an old na'vi artefact like eytukan's bow with even those signs. Then, we would know that they use signs before humans arrived pandora. (Written from my mobile phone)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

P.A.'li makto

Quote from: Blue Elf on November 02, 2014, 10:05:35 AM
Regarding your presentation - to be correct, it is safe to say that currently we do not have reliable information whether Na'vi write or not. More probably is they don't (or your own feeling :)).
Well, I think I won't speak about writing, only about our (sawtute) using the Latin letters in our communication in Na'vi on Earth. That will be enough. And safe. Because it's definitely true.  :)

facebook: soaia leNa`vi

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Vawmataw on November 02, 2014, 06:32:51 AM
There and l and X. O.o
No, not really:
old gallery link?id=5986[/img]
There is a dot-like symbol. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Vawmataw

Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Karin

Perhaps the Aysawtute taught the Na'vi to write through Grace's School? Remember the deleted scene with Grace walking through the School and there are Dr Suiss (Sorry forgot how to to spell his name) Books and it taught the ABCs and i think one of those Alphabet boarders the upper wall like in our classrooms. I am sure the Na'vi generally have no use for writing, but the children could most definitely be taught. Not sure if there were any pencils to be seen in the scene, coloring types or whichever. There is a board to write on, reading and writing usually are taught together with humans. I just doubt the schools got very far with that. "Dont fix what isnt broken" would probably say the Na'vi parents defending their language. The Na'vi who would have been taught would be writing most likely in Latin alphabet and finding a way to make new writing systems or new alphabet, maybe pictographs, or hieroglyphs. The would be taught how to write entirely English first before getting their own ideas or having foreign constructs dictate how Na'vi would be written. Just my thoughts 
Kehe, Oe zene srew!

Melìsa

Quote from: Kamean on March 17, 2012, 04:24:34 PM
On my second forum, we tried to slightly improve the situation: :D

Default picture.

More brightness.

Then tried to make the inscription more clearly in two versions a little darker and lighter

The inscription below characters appear in English. If this is the board of the dismantled  boxes - can be a marks for the stevedores?

TEEEWTIII!!!! :O ...I never knew this ...WOU!!!!  ??? I never saw this before ...this is kinda interesting I was told that Na'Vi isn't written but THIS  ...might be proof  of it being able to be written.
Kaltxì Oel Ayngati Kameie Oeru syaw Melìsa I love and respect the Na'vi
Oe tawtute lu

Tìtstewan

Actually, we don't know for sure if the Na'vi have an own writing system. Those symbols one can see in that classroom could be a way of sign communication often used by sciencists.

However, one can see some signs on Neytiri's bow:

And even with this, there ist still the question if those sings represents kind of letters or they are just ornaments.

EDIT: And with a close look, one may will see some differences in design of the signs between those on the classroom and on Ney's bow.

Toliman

Eltur tìtxen si :) I did not noticed these small details.

Lynxcat

Uniltirantokx fmawn! :) :ikran: http://avatarsequels.com/

Melìsa

wou I never noticed that about Neytiri's bow and now that you mention it ....you might be right cuz Grace would have them play with blocks with letters on them as well as reading books and writing English letters on a board so I think I just learned something new :)

Kaltxì Oel Ayngati Kameie Oeru syaw Melìsa I love and respect the Na'vi
Oe tawtute lu