The Omaticayan Flute

Started by TheEternalPhoenix, January 17, 2010, 08:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kintìomum

I actually like the idea that Eywa somehow controls population.
Sure, it will certainly help being less jerky when you have to actually hunt your food and can't just get in the car, drive to the supermarket and pick it out of the freezer.
It mustn't even be a single substance, perhaps it's a combination of different stuff from different sources? Some mineral out of this plant, a special protein from the hexapede you just hunted and something out of the air you breathe...
Pull all that together, add the fact that human scientists now pretty much nothing about the pandoran ecosystem and that they wouldn't even be able to use the Na'vi biology for comparative studies since it's normal in their bodies and tadaa: You're on Pandora and the moon starts to control how many you are...
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Technowraith

Quote from: kintìomum on January 31, 2010, 02:40:28 AM
I actually like the idea that Eywa somehow controls population.
Sure, it will certainly help being less jerky when you have to actually hunt your food and can't just get in the car, drive to the supermarket and pick it out of the freezer.
It mustn't even be a single substance, perhaps it's a combination of different stuff from different sources? Some mineral out of this plant, a special protein from the hexapede you just hunted and something out of the air you breathe...
Pull all that together, add the fact that human scientists now pretty much nothing about the pandoran ecosystem and that they wouldn't even be able to use the Na'vi biology for comparative studies since it's normal in their bodies and tadaa: You're on Pandora and the moon starts to control how many you are...

Eywa protects the balance of life on Pandora. It's essential for stability. Too many predators is bad. Too much prey is bad. Humans are just plain bad no matter what. Population control is easiest way to balance any ecosystem. It's noted in the ASG that Na'vi population is realtively constant. Even since the beginning times of the Na'vi. So there's some kind of balancing in effect. The arrival of humans is throwing that balance off, so Eywa is "rebalancing" the planet in a way when animals aid the Na'vi during the battle of the Tree of Souls. This act allowed the Na'vi to expel the humans from Pandora, thus bringing the balance of life back to normal.

See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Yaay, this is all fun and smart and good, but what about the flute? Did Eywa save the flute? Will she be angry that it got destroyed? Will she grow another one? Sorry to be the bad guy but:

Learn Na'vi Community > Learn Na'vi > Na'vi Customs and Culture > Post reply ( Re: The Omaticayan Flute )

So, who is hiding the flute? I know one of you has it, and you are just pretending to be off topic to distract us while you sell it on ebay next to a cheese sammich that has Jesus toasted into it. Well cough up (cash--for my silence) or cough up the flute! So:

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it (cause they got squished), did the flute survive? Furthermore, since the olo'eyktan got speared by said tree, and the new gnu (<---sounds like "new") olo'eyktan apparently died in a fall (although he may have leaf-fallen to safety below), WHO PLAYS THE FLUTE? Certainly not the alien!
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Technowraith

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on January 31, 2010, 01:49:26 PM

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it (cause they got squished), did the flute survive? Furthermore, since the olo'eyktan got speared by said tree, and the new gnu (<---sounds like "new") olo'eyktan apparently died in a fall (although he may have leaf-fallen to safety below), WHO PLAYS THE FLUTE? Certainly not the alien!

Good point. Who does play the flute at this point? Maybe Neytiri? While the ASG mentions that the Olo'Eyktan plays the Flute, maybe that role might shift to Neytiri. Unless they choose another Olo'Eyktan. I don't think Tsu'tey was the only warrior vying for the position of Olo'Eyktan though.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Tsu'roen

As for Jack's abilities: during the transfer from his human body into his Avatar body Jake went through the "Eye of Eywa". We don't know what happens there. Given that he became the new Olo'Eyktan of the Omatikaya and as Toruk Makto had also influence over other Na'vi clans Eywa may have implanted him on that occasion with all the necessary knowledge for that position ...
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Technowraith on February 01, 2010, 04:55:28 AM
Good point. Who does play the flute at this point? Maybe Neytiri? While the ASG mentions that the Olo'Eyktan plays the Flute, maybe that role might shift to Neytiri. Unless they choose another Olo'Eyktan. I don't think Tsu'tey was the only warrior vying for the position of Olo'Eyktan though.

Ah, young Skywalker . . . (I'd say "Grasshoppah" but who really is old enough to remember Kung Fu? It's high time they made THAT into a movie--everything else has) but you failed to mention that the ASG also states that the flute player must always be "male." Perhaps your eyes linger too long on the tutee they (incorrectly) show playing the blue flute. Eltu si! Women rot your brain.

:D
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Tsu'roen on February 01, 2010, 05:26:19 AM
As for Jack's abilities: during the transfer from his human body into his Avatar body Jake went through the "Eye of Eywa". We don't know what happens there. Given that he became the new Olo'Eyktan of the Omatikaya and as Toruk Makto had also influence over other Na'vi clans Eywa may have implanted him on that occasion with all the necessary knowledge for that position ...

See? I like that. I really do. And I like the fact that by definition (only the 6th Toruk Makto of all time! Not to mention the fact that he rallied and led the local Na'vi to drive out the sky demons-- top that kimosabe) he has completely earned the right to be "chief small eyes" (avatars have small eyes--and extra fingers and tosies--and Grace was an early model--she looked positively human!).

BUT . . . "his alien smell fills my nose. ("Gee, thanks dad!") That smell ain't goin' away. His kids will have 3? 4? fingers? Small eyes? They will be different--make no mistake about that. Sure, their dad is a hero among heroes, and the Na'vi are very kind to their own, but they do seem to dislike "pseudo-Na'vi." I am wanting to think they will make a HUGE exception for Jake, and see the character of his soul. I am hoping basically that there really are "better than us" and just call him small eyes to his face and that is the extent of the joke, meaning (to each other) that they accept his differences and that is the end of the discussion (to them). So I have talked myself full circle it seems and now want the Na'vi to let Jake play the flute. I wonder if he has any musical talent.

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Technowraith on January 31, 2010, 09:34:49 AM
Eywa protects the balance of life on Pandora. It's essential for stability. Too many predators is bad. Too much prey is bad. Humans are just plain bad no matter what. Population control is easiest way to balance any ecosystem. It's noted in the ASG that Na'vi population is realtively constant. Even since the beginning times of the Na'vi. So there's some kind of balancing in effect. The arrival of humans is throwing that balance off, so Eywa is "rebalancing" the planet in a way when animals aid the Na'vi during the battle of the Tree of Souls. This act allowed the Na'vi to expel the humans from Pandora, thus bringing the balance of life back to normal.

In protecting the balance, perhaps Eywa would not have reacted as strongly if the humans had not threatened so much of the moon in trying to get the unobtainium.  They could have probably come up with less destructive (but more expensive)  ways to get the material.

Of course, it would have been a very short movie in that case.  ;)

EDIT: To get back on topic (Jeez, I am bad about following folks off topic)...
If the flute was destroyed, will the clan have to choose a new name?

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Technowraith

Quote from: Txepäsiyu on February 01, 2010, 10:45:35 AM
If the flute was destroyed, will the clan have to choose a new name?

I think the Omaticayans will always keep their name. Even if the Flute is destroyed. Something tells me that they may find it if they choose to revisit the former Hometree. If the Flute is indeed destroyed, Eywa may provide another. But I'm simply unsure of anything really.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Tsu'roen

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on February 01, 2010, 10:34:29 AM...(I'd say "Grasshoppah" but who really is old enough to remember Kung Fu? ...
I still remember it ... that was in the days when we only had 3 channels (in Germany) ... Man! Am I that old?
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Tsu'roen on February 01, 2010, 03:58:12 PM
Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on February 01, 2010, 10:34:29 AM...(I'd say "Grasshoppah" but who really is old enough to remember Kung Fu? ...
I still remember it ... that was in the days when we only had 3 channels (in Germany) ... Man! Am I that old?

That was my favorite show as a kid. Yeah, we only had 3 networks here in Hollywood, of all places, and a 3-4 independent channels that basically ran reruns (like Kung Fu, or Star Trek) and crappy game shows. When pink Floyd said in their song "I've got 13 channels of s--- on the TV to choose from, they meant the dial went from 2-13. but in reality we had 7 channels of s---? Now we have hundreds. Wheee? Yaay progress? Man, that forest living is starting to look pretty good to me right now.

Okay, as to the flute. That is funny: the Omaticaya having to change their name. How about "vanquishers of sky-demons," or "Wandering band of gypsies." Well, that was mean. JC had better give them a PALACE in A2. I will be very put out if they are still wandering around the tree of souls wondering what to shack up in. you see? It's times like these when they need the flute the most. Not just to call to Eywa, but to really rally around and give them a sense of identity.

Bah! I hate stupid human (colonists of the future in sci-fi movies).

Technowraith

I think in the very least, the Omaticaya may find another Hometree. There were other giant trees around they could move to i'm sure. In the next sequel we're gonna find out where the Omaticaya move to.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Technowraith on February 01, 2010, 07:34:53 PM
I think in the very least, the Omaticaya may find another Hometree. There were other giant trees around they could move to i'm sure. In the next sequel we're gonna find out where the Omaticaya move to.

Yeah, they do live in a forest. There are a lot of trees about--but that was the "O.G. tree." still, in the plains, where there are far less trees (assuming plains Na'vi actually live in the trees), it would be a lot harder to find a suitable replacement. I still hate humans (in sci-fi movies where the homosapiens are the obviously lesser evolved creature/villains). That's it. I am going back to work on the activity book for a while. Just thinking about humans makes me angry.

Tsu'roen

I don't think it was coincidental that Hometree was standing on a huge unobtanium deposit. So they need to find another tree that meets similar conditions. And from the movie we have learned that while there are plenty of big trees, they don't stand on unobtanium deposits worth mentioning. Otherwise the RDA wouldn't have needed to pick a fight over that place in the first place. Also given the relative scarcity of appropriate trees it can safely be assumed that those are already occupied by other clans. So I would say the Omatikaya are in a real pickle.

Btw. the plains Na'vi appear to be liveing underneath (or in?) big trees.
See @ 2:40
Pandora Discovered

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Good point that most other Hometrees would already have other Tribes in them. Either they're going to have to spread out a bit into smaller trees found in their territory or they may have to merge with another Tribe. Or start a war, though that wouldn't be that logical considering their numbers have greatly dwindled and they have to be saving up for the next war with the humans.

I guess with dwindled numbers, for now, they won't have to find a tree quite as big as they last one. Though that's not good for the long term...
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Tsa'räni

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on February 02, 2010, 11:27:49 AM
Good point that most other Hometrees would already have other Tribes in them. Either they're going to have to spread out a bit into smaller trees found in their territory or they may have to merge with another Tribe. Or start a war, though that wouldn't be that logical considering their numbers have greatly dwindled and they have to be saving up for the next war with the humans.

I guess with dwindled numbers, for now, they won't have to find a tree quite as big as they last one. Though that's not good for the long term...

Well, it's been noted that the Na'vi population has (apparently) remained remarkably steady for a very long time now.  While I would agree that on a world with population problems like Earth there would almost certainly be no suitable Hometrees left, on Pandora I think it's possible for the Omatikaya to reasonably find one.  It may not be close, they may have to undertake a significant journey, but I think there could easily be some vacant ones.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Yes there could be some left, but as mentioned above and in the ASG the most sacred places of the Na'vi grow over large unobtanium deposits, including things like Hometree. We can gather then, considering how interested the RDA was with this Hometree, that there aren't that many. Considering that there must be other tribes in the forest it's safe to say that they are using these Trees. The RDA are complete a******, but they're not completely stupid, they'd go after the unobtanium under an empty tree before going for the one with Natives in it first. Either they already have mined these trees, haven't found them, or they aren't around.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Tsa'räni

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on February 02, 2010, 12:01:39 PM
Yes there could be some left, but as mentioned above and in the ASG the most sacred places of the Na'vi grow over large unobtanium deposits, including things like Hometree. We can gather then, considering how interested the RDA was with this Hometree, that there aren't that many. Considering that there must be other tribes in the forest it's safe to say that they are using these Trees. The RDA are complete a******, but they're not completely stupid, they'd go after the unobtanium under an empty tree before going for the one with Natives in it first. Either they already have mined these trees, haven't found them, or they aren't around.

Not necessarily.

Selfridge mentions it's the largest deposit within 200 km, I believe.  You're assuming they just set down right there for no other reason than it offered easy access to the large unobtanium deposit under Hometree.  They obviously already have a mining operation going at the movie's start, and it's been going for quite a long time.  It would seem they have mined out the resources they set down on and are now looking to expand to the next nearest unobtanium deposit of any worthwhile size.

If anything, I'd say they set down on a large deposit knowing that, eventually, they would have to expand out.  Their current site offered the benefit of the deposit under Hometree as an expansion route, which they assumed they could get the Na'vi off of before they needed it.

As such, I don't think we can rule out other deposits and Hometrees that are untouched.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Of course there are deposits that haven't been touched in the great distance, I'm sure, and the RDA was probably looking for the nearest site, but I'm also thinking of Hometrees that would be close enough for the Omatikaya to travel to. Yes there are the Ikran Makto that could travel a great distance to find a new home, but not every Omatikaya is a Ikran Makto, and many have lost their Ikran in the battle. We have to consider that they are traveling with the injured, the young and the elderly. This puts on the heavy burdan of trying to find a new home that is within a reasonable area.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Tsa'räni

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on February 02, 2010, 12:14:10 PM
Of course there are deposits that haven't been touched in the great distance, I'm sure, and the RDA was probably looking for the nearest site, but I'm also thinking of Hometrees that would be close enough for the Omatikaya to travel to. Yes there are the Ikran Makto that could travel a great distance to find a new home, but not every Omatikaya is a Ikran Makto, and many have lost their Ikran in the battle. We have to consider that they are traveling with the injured, the young and the elderly. This puts on the heavy burdan of trying to find a new home that is within a reasonable area.

I think the reasonable area would be quite large.  Something tells me they aren't just going to settle for a cluster of trees, considering their last ancestral home was their home and spiritual center.  If they have to migrate a large distance to find a suitable home, I can see them doing it.  Ikran riders can serve as long range scouts to find possible new locations, as well as contacts with other clans living in the forests.  The main population of the Na'vi could travel slowly, by foot, probably making use of multiple temporary sites to stop and stay put for a while along the way.