The other ritual

Started by Tìmuiäyä'itan, July 21, 2010, 02:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìmuiäyä'itan

Kxaltì ma smuk,

as we know there is this ritual of passae from young to adult, the Iknimaya. But there is, in the movie, spoken of another rite. Jake speaks of it to Quaritch, he wants to pass this rite to become an Omatikaya (and warrior?). Do we have any further info on this rite or at least the name of it?

Irayo ulte kìyevame!

Update: Okay, found out myself, it's the dream hunt = uniltaron.

Jake says, once he's done that  he would be considered Omatikaya. So could one say Iknamaya makes you a man and Uniltaron makes you a warrior? I think he's been hunting before, even before the Iknimaya, so I guess the stages of growing up would be like:

you learn hunting until yo are "ready" to finally do hunt (I remember Jake complaining abot the Clan not letting him shoot at real targets), then you go to Iknimaya, get your Ikran and become grown-up, and then, after a while you go on your dream-hunt and become a full member of the clan with the right to speak.

Does this make sense what I say?
srungìri ftära tsyokxìl ngeyä
ke ivomum futa pesuru
lu srung skiena tsyokxta ngeyä
ulte Jesus a nerìn ayfo pamlltxe
san sutehu lu keltsun
slä Yawähu frakem tsunslu sìk.

Carborundum

It is described in great detail in the 2007 scriptment of Avatar which was floating around the internet for a while. It's probably still around here somewhere.
The ritual involves taking a bunch of drugs (probably why it didn't make it into the final cut) and being stung by a poisonous bug, in order to enter unìltaron, the dream hunt, and meet with your spirit animal.
Apparently Jake's was the toruk  :)
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Tìmuiäyä'itan

Irayo, you were quicker than my update. I also read it in the script, but I think I don't have it on my hard disk (at least don't know exactly where, but I came across this in the forums by chance)...

But still there seems to be a bit of a difference between Inknimaya and Uniltaron (Taronyus dictionary has it as "unil", not "unìl" by the way), because only after Uniltaron Jake is allowed to speak in the assembly of the clan. I guess when you have your ikran but not yet Uniltaron you'd be considered something like not child anymore, but not yet adult, what do you think?
ke ivomum futa pesuru
san sutehu lu keltsun

Carborundum

Ah yes, I keep moving the ì from tìran into unil (courtesy of uniltìran). Thanks for pointing it out.
There is a number of interesting details about these rituals that can be figured out from paying attention to Jake's clothing in the movie.
In the first scene after having come to the Omatikaya, learning to ride a pa'li, he doesn't wear any adornments of any kind, aside from a leaf-bandage on his arm where he was bleeding the night before.
Next, when Neytiri's teaching him to say "mikyun, ontu, nari", he's wearing a bead-bracelet. A gift from Neytiri? Seems strange, since she hadn't really started warming up to him yet at that point, but I can't see Tsu'tey giving it to him  :P
Anyway, that's not directly related to these rituals, but after he completed iknimaya he took to wearing a knife all the time. Being allowed to wear it is probably a sign of increased responsibilities to the clan.
After finishing the dream hunt, he starts wearing one of those strange wide belt things around his waist. It appears to be a sign of adulthood, but I don't understand it's function. Only males seem to wear it, so there's probably an equivalent for women, but I haven't been able to find it.
And Finally, after  becoming toruk makto, he shaves his head into a mohawk. Unclear why, but several other na'vi males also wear their hair so.

Edit: Actually, the knife came before iknimaya. He uses it to kill the yerik earlier.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Muzer

I think the consensus a while back was that iknimaya was only for hunters, whereas uniltaron was for everyone (the "becoming a man" ritual that *everyone* goes through). This may be wrong, however - my memory could be faulty; or the general consensus could have changed.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Lolet

The other people completing Iknimaya with Jake also were wearing those mohawks. So it's not a male thing. I saw males with long braided locks, so maybe it's just style?

I figure ikran are like horses for humans, used for hunting but also for transportation and stuff.

Tìmuiäyä'itan

Irayo for pointing that out. I'm just working on a poem (feels it'll never be complete) where I want to reference to being child/adult etc. I know one can not make rules from the few things we know yet, but I'll definately refer to Iknimaya and Uniltaron as central rites. Let's see if I ever finish this, then I'll post it here in the Fansection part...
ke ivomum futa pesuru
san sutehu lu keltsun

Lolet

I thought Uniltaron was becoming an adult Omaticaya, with full rights.

Tìmuiäyä'itan

Yes, seems so to me, too. I was just a bit confused by Taronyus dictionary, which states the Iknimaya being a rite of passage for the young. So actually, maybe I thought to earthlike, that those rites of passage form the passage from being child to being adult, but it seems different... maybe they have some kind of youthhood as well...
ke ivomum futa pesuru
san sutehu lu keltsun

Lolet

Maybe:

Iknimaya: not a child

Uniltaron: Full adult