NotW: Ideas & Discussion

Started by tsrräfkxätu, March 24, 2010, 04:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should NotW be closed until there is more activity on the forum?

Yes
4 (28.6%)
No
7 (50%)
Change it to Na'vi of the Month
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 17, 2013, 01:51:02 AM

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on February 10, 2013, 02:04:17 AM
I have edited the poll to include an option to change this to NotM and votes can be changed if you've already voted.
No! Do not change it to NotM!
Ikran Ahiyìk has already written.
The counter goes back to 1 and we have a new 'class' of Na'vi.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Ok y'all have lost me here. If there's more than one week between people on this board then the title Na'vi of the Week won't be accurate. The current reining person will have more than one weeks time on the board. Unless you mean that they lock their thread then in 3 weeks there's a new person. That seems seems weird to me because if we're going to wait a month anyway, why not change the title? I don't know what you mean by the 'counter' nor do I know why everyone seems so opposed to changing the title so it's accurate.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Swoka Ikran

Agreed that having a 1 week reign with 3 week gaps would be awkward, although it'd work.

Quote from: Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on February 10, 2013, 08:00:09 PM
I don't know what you mean by the 'counter' nor do I know why everyone seems so opposed to changing the title so it's accurate.
They're arguing that it wouldn't make sense to start with "Na'vi of the Month #130" since the first 129 were "of the Week".

IMO, it's a silly argument. If it's going to be once a month, the name should reflect that, whether we close NoTW and start a separate NoTM section or just change the name here and move on. I personally don't care either way.

The only benefit to a separate section I can think of: Previous NoTWs could be picked again for NoTM.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

'Itan Atxur

I see the semi-NotW as a compromise. I'd RATHER leave it the way it is but the forum is too slow for that. If we switch to NotM then the new people are getting more time in the spotlight than those who came before (not something I have a real problem with but I like to keep things even. It's the OCD in me). By going to one NotW a month and having them lock up after a week we get a bit of a compromise. Again, I don't LIKE it but to me it's better than shutting down or going to NotM.

Also: Tradition :)

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Ikran Ahiyìk

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 10, 2013, 09:06:34 AM
Quote from: Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on February 10, 2013, 02:04:17 AM
I have edited the poll to include an option to change this to NotM and votes can be changed if you've already voted.
No! Do not change it to NotM!
Ikran Ahiyìk has already written.
The counter goes back to 1 and we have a new 'class' of Na'vi.

Quote from: Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on February 10, 2013, 08:00:09 PM
Ok y'all have lost me here. If there's more than one week between people on this board then the title Na'vi of the Week won't be accurate. The current reining person will have more than one weeks time on the board. Unless you mean that they lock their thread then in 3 weeks there's a new person. That seems seems weird to me because if we're going to wait a month anyway, why not change the title? I don't know what you mean by the 'counter' nor do I know why everyone seems so opposed to changing the title so it's accurate.

-Txonä Rolyu
Just my interpretion: "Week" means the person featuring for a week, and here is his/her thread opening for a week. Therefore NotM makes me think of people featuring a whole month here, with threads opened 30 days. Moreover the word "the" doesn't specify the weeks must be linked continuously, so I think using NotW is still appropriate and there is no reason to switch it.

NotM as a new line? Maybe it'd work, it solves the problem mentioned in para.1. But since "NotW" (the content and the title) is our long
Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on February 10, 2013, 11:03:00 PM
Also: Tradition :)
if we find a way keeping it, then we should follow. And I think this is the way. So I keep my vote for NO.

Maybe it's me only.. I'm somebody cares the numbers very much. You may think this is silly, but I'm serious. It's glad to see the number have been added up 1 by 1, week by week. Since the rate is so slow, it's painful for me to see it back to 1.

The chain did broken for several times, but the name is still NotW, so separation is not counted? ... not to talk about this much as they are accidents.

This is a vote looking for the side most voters support, maybe it's meaningless to persuade other's for changing side... :P

Edit: Oh, I always mean the bold words. Then the waiting time is excluded. As the thread is closed, the newest NotW is not a featuring but a featured.
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Tirea Aean

late, but i agree that whoever is Na'vi of the Week has one week thread, then closes, and has a month to find a new one.

At this point, it doesn't even have to be someone you know (and it probably won't be). Just go on the forum home page and look at who's been online lately that has NOT been NotW. But from what I can tell, everyone who is online everyday these days has already been NotW. I wonder if there is a way to search the forum for all users who have been online in X time. then we can just choose from them.

'Itan Atxur

I still see a few daily or near daily members w/o the NotW tag.

Tìtstewan

I know a member, who would be NotW likely...I know this, because it was my turn to choose my successor. Unfortunately, he was very busy at the time.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Tìtstewan

Here happends nothing... :( :(

The last NotW was over one month no more active on this forum.
QuoteZusupa Tanhì
Last Active:    February 04, 2013

Maybe an admin / members chose a new NotW?
Any ideas?

It is just sad only. :(

Yaknun

Quote from: Tìtstewan on March 09, 2013, 02:33:08 PM
Here happends nothing... :( :(

The last NotW was over one month no more active on this forum.
QuoteZusupa Tanhì
Last Active:    February 04, 2013

Any ideas?

It is just sad only. :(

Meen Jung, kennst Du das Sprichwort "Schweigen ist Gold"  :-* :-\

More give me please in PN !
Neytiri:
"Sie leben, Jake, in Eywa"

alt, aber
vernarrt in AVATAR

Eanayayo

Quote from: Tìtstewan on March 09, 2013, 02:33:08 PM
I think too.
Maybe someone wants to be a new NotW?(only PM)

NotW #127: Eana Yayo
   _0
/ / \
_/\
   /

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Yaknun on March 09, 2013, 03:05:00 PM
Meen Jung, kennst Du das Sprichwort "Schweigen ist Gold"  :-* :-\

More give me please in PN !
Ma Yaknun, I sent you a PM.

'Itan Atxur

Have we decided if we're doing Na'vi of the Month? Last I knew we'd decided to stop doing it until we decided what to do next.

Tìtstewan

Ma 'Itan Atxur
My last stand was, that the last NotW have 3 weeks time to choose a new NotW.

'Itan Atxur

Yeah that's mine too. I just felt like we never actually came to an official decision.

Tìtstewan

Edit:

After some PMs and considerations I propose to close NotW temporarily. To keep a tradition which in these situation don't work make no really sense.
It is very sad :(

May in future it will be better.

Tsyalatun te Eyktan Txuratu'itan

Okay, at this point, I'll bite.

This  is sad, very sad only.

Let me start by saying something, which may or may not be obvious.  I have thought long and hard about posting in this thread, because I feel very awkward about doing so.  I suspect a great many other people may feel the same.  Why?  By posting here, it becomes blatantly obvious that one does not have the NotW sign.  That's a curse in this regard!  I realise that by making this post that I'm probably making myself ineligible for NotW and, if that is the case, I accept that graciously - but ultimately that is a decision for others to make.  However, those of us who haven't been NotW'd need a voice on this too, and there's only one way that voice can be heard - by posting in this thread.  So, I'm willing to sacrifice myself for this cause.  What follows is my take on this.  If others who haven't been NotW'd also feel awkward about posting here, and want to PM their views so that they can be posted anonymously through me, that is something I'm willing to do for the next week only.

This talk of closure saddens me greatly.  What concerns me is that if NotW is to be closed, it is closed for the right reasons.  The reason currently being put forward doesn't feel like the right reason to me given what I've seen from the current chain breakage.

First, there is a wealth of statistics on this forum here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/stats/  While it shows a reduction in the number of posts and new topics being created, it doesn't show a reduction in the number of people signing up to the forums.  For example, January 2013 shows 302 new members, which is above average - even if you go back to 2010.

So, I suggest that the current problem is one of finding the next willing candidate.  Certainly, it appears to be that the previous NotW holder left the forum mid-reign and hasn't been back.  I suggest that they didn't choose a successor at the start of their reign as the rules and traditions recommend.

Secondly, I have, on the odd occasion, been looking at the people who have been online around this sort of time - in the evening in the UK.  On the occasions I've checked over the last week or so, there have been three to four people who don't have a NotW tag in their profile - out of 8 to 12 people online at that moment.  Right now, while I compose this reply, there are 7 users here, 4 have been NotW'd, 3 haven't.  So, I put it forward a different argument - there are people to be NotW'd, the problem is knowing how to find them.

Maybe a suggestion - a slight change to the rules and traditions is what's needed.  When someone is nominated for NotW and accepts, the previous incumbent should notify the moderator who has accepted to be the next NotW.  They then get one week to find the next candidate, and they must notify the moderator who that is before posting their NotW thread.  While this means that the moderator gets to know who should be the next NotW, it also gives some chance to provide some assistance to find the next holder of the title.

In other words, what I am suggesting is this:
1. Current holder chooses the next holder of the title, and PMs the next holder.
2. Next holder replies, accepting/denying the request.
3. If the current holder receives an acceptance, notify moderator, otherwise try and find someone else.  If there's a problem, notify the moderator and ask for assistance.  Go back to 1.
4. Current holder posts their NotW thread (This must only happen once there is acceptance by the next holder, and after the moderator has been informed.)
5. At the end of the week, lock the thread in the normal way.  This signals to the next NotW holder that their reign can start, provided they themselves have completed 1 through 3.

This has a built-in incentive to the current holder to find the next one, in that they're not allowed to post until they've found their successor.

It has one problem though - it has the possibility for a long chain to form - the exact opposite of the current supposed problem.  The solution to that is to require that you only start step 1 a maximum of one week before your reign is due to start.

How does that sound?  Yes, it's a little more complicated, but if it solves the problem, it can only be a good thing.

Blue Elf

First of all - I can't see any reason why posting in this thread should disqualify anybody from being NotW. It would be just wrong if it is true.

Second - new members are still coming, yes, but.... how many of them are really active? I don't see any new people in learning subforums. Look at member list a order it by number of posts. About 2000 people didn't post anything. Another 2000 people posted between 1 and 10 messages. So most people here are "sleeping members".

Also - if I'm not mistaken, NotW was created to present people which are somehow important or great. Now it appears to me that we just seek for still active people. I don't say it is wrong or unacceptable, I like this subforum, but try to compare very first Notw posts with the current ones - people say less and less about themselves. I'm afraid that main idea of being NotW trickled out.
Just my opinion.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

'Itan Atxur

I used to post in this topic all the time before becoming NotW. I wasn't the only one either.

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Blue Elf on March 11, 2013, 02:02:59 AM
Second - new members are still coming, yes, but.... how many of them are really active? I don't see any new people in learning subforums. Look at member list a order it by number of posts. About 2000 people didn't post anything. Another 2000 people posted between 1 and 10 messages. So most people here are "sleeping members".
Must NotW not also earn? NotW should be something special, I think.