NotW #100!: Stranger Come Knocking

Started by Stranger Come Knocking, April 23, 2012, 04:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranger Come Knocking

Quote from: Question #1Who are you?
I am Stranger Come Knocking, 17, from Michigan (Is it true we say "Meesheegeen"?  I've never noticed.)  I enjoy learning new languages.  Fluent in English, Advanced in Middle Egyptian, Intermediate in Na'vi, embarrassingly bad in Russian, beginner in Quenya, and just beginning in Italian, Greek, Hebrew, and half a dozen other languages.  I work part-time at a little ice cream shop/pizzeria, at least until I graduate.  After that, I have a web developer/marketing internship lined up which, combined with the ice cream shop, means some good money to put away.  Which also means faster getting out of the house, away from my parents.  But I am taking my cats.  I have one sister and a nephew who is turning 1 in a month.

That's about it for that. >_>

Quote from: Question #2Why are you here?
When I first saw Avatar, I was super-immersed in Russian and Hebrew (both of which have back-slidden quite a bit) and didn't really think Na'vi was real.  I mean, I noticed that there was a sort of pattern, but even I'd created a conlang or two.  I guess I assumed the language was just good enough to pass for the big screen.  I came here on a whim of just looking around on Google.  I stayed once I did a thorough investigation of the site and discovered that Na'vi is, in fact, a real, practical language.

Quote from: Question #3Where do your alias and profile pic come from?
I originally came here as Tanhì mì Ton (or tanhi mitxon) and stayed with that (I was pretty stinking proud of myself for "speaking Na'vi"), but eventually I just got so tired of it.  I may be a woman but anything remotely pansy just grinds my teeth.  Finally, I changed it.  Stranger-Come-Knocking is the name of a character from Joe Abercrombie's "The Heroes".  SCK is a barbarian who is obsessed with civilization.  He is a giant, but soft-spoken, always watching the civilized people from the shadows, wanting so desperately to live in both worlds but knowing he will only ever be a barbarian.  You can figure out the significance for yourself.

The pic is called "Between Darkness and Wonder".  I love the black-and-white, the mystery.  Gothic art and architecture is beautiful and fascinating and this I thought fitting for my user.

Quote from: Question #4Srak nga tsun nìna'vi pivlltxe?
Tsakrr oe tsun pivlltxe nìNa'vi nìwotx, txo nga new.
Yeah, that's generally what I say to people who are all like "Na'vi isn't real, it's just dumb."  Whether its right or not I don't know, but being able to think that up on a whim the first time was pretty awesome.  And being able to recognize words and discern the grammar is cool, too.  I'd put myself at Intermediate.

Quote from: Question #5What's you favorite Na'vi word? Did you incorporate it (or others) into your everyday vocab?
Favorite Na'vi word?  Um...hm...ììì.......I don't know. o_o

Quote from: Question #6In your opinion, what are the top three user-created content on the LN website?
dict-navi.com
NiaN
The Easiest Way to Learn Na'vi EVER!!!! <3

Quote from: Question #7Have you made any contributions to the LN community that you're particularly proud of?
I run The Library which is a collection of user-created books in Na'vi.  As of April 20, we have 6 books (5 are Na'vi).  Patronage is graciously requested. :)

Quote from: Question #8What is it that you liked/hated the most about Avatar ?
Like - cat people  Let's be honest, they are essentially cat people with the tails, the ears, the noses, four fingers.  Know that I mean this in the most loving way. <3

Dislike - Jake's voice never quite changed, even in his pep speech.  He never raises his voice, never lowers it, just doesn't seem to be emotional.

Quote from: Question #9Has Avatar  changed your life in any way?
No.  Okay, it gave my creativity a kick in the pants, but no, not really.  I'm not an enviro and I don't care to be one.  I've no problem with recycling and planting trees, but I see the environment sort of like money: Are you its steward or its slave?

Quote from: Question #10If you could ask Frommer or Cameron three movie or language related questions what would they be?
Cameron: Did you mean for the aynantang and the palulukan to look like Labradors?  Every single time they appear on screen, yes even the palulukan, I think "It's a sleek black Lab!  ZOMYGOSH ITS SO CUTE!"

Frommer: If you could undo anything (any rule, any word, anything) about Na'vi, what would it be?

Frommer: How do you decide on new words?  Do you feel them, see them, throw random letters together and see what happens, or what?

Quote from: Question #11What else do you do in you free time?
Prepare for the zombie apocalypse.  That's all you need to know. o.O

I also enjoy writing and creating conlangs for my writing.  I currently have three complete books, one of which uses one complete conlang (called Vårçœvïånåjüm Tôl) and two incomplete one (Seviaw and Refian), and am working on another book which uses an entirely different conlang (mostly complete) called Ceduvi.

I also do Taekwondo and just earned my Eagle Patch on my Green belt.  I have been to tournaments and placed first. :)

Quote from: Question #12Name your top three favorite Earth animals from most favorite to least. Why those? What's the animal you're most terrified of?
Cats.  Hands down.  Big cats, house cats, house cats who think they're big cats.  I just love 'em.

Dogs.  Everything from wolves to Chinese Crests.  That's...about it.

My third would probably have to be horses.  Horses or gerbils.  They're neat. :D

And I am freaking terrified of spiders.  You have no bloody idea; I have leapt out of my seat at school in the middle of a lecture because there was a spider.  Teacher wasn't happy. ::)

Quote from: Question #13Pirate, ninja, zombie, or robot?
Assassin.  Suppose that could fall under ninja, but I say assassin to cover all types. >:]

Quote from: Question #14What three items would you take to a desert island and why?
-Hunting knife for food, defense, and building whatever I needed.
-My machete for more defense and building and just cuz its cool.
-Small box of matches for practical purposes.

Quote from: Question #15If you could travel to anywhere in space and time (including fictional universes), where would you go and why?
Psh.  Only once?  Give me twenty seconds and I will have hijacked the TARDIS...AND THEN I WILL BE ALL POWERFUL!!!

Quote from: Question #16If you were granted one single wish what would it be?
That Scott, my love, would come home alive from the Army.  That's really all.

Quote from: Question #17What is a question you'd ask yourself? How would you answer it?

;D Naw, that's not it.

Me: Have I ever told you I'm a clinical psychopath?
Me: *whispers* Yes.

Quote from: Question #18True or false?
Two truths and a lie. *gasp*

1. I have almost been hit by a train.
2. I have played with a real, live boa constrictor.
3. I have moved five times in my life.

Quote from: Question #19: My Life is AVTRWhat is the funniest, weirdest, or most embarrassing Na'vi or Avatar  related thing that has happened to you?
Um...nothing exciting, actually.  You can check Q4.  Other than that, my friends give me the usual banter about teaching them vulgar Na'vi...of which there really isn't too much.  Sorry I have nothing more to offer. :(

Quote from: Question #20: Bonus QuestionWhat characteristic(s) or concept(s) from the Na'vi people or the Na'vi language in the film did you appreciate the most?
Sometimes I wish spiritual communication was so tangible as a queue, but at the same time, I am glad I can pray anywhere at any time.
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Alyara Arati

Seykxel sì nitram, ma Stranger.

Wow, you've written a lot to be 17!  Congratulations on that, too.

My guesses: F/T/T

Enjoy your week as NotW 100!
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

'Onatxan te Skxawng Tìrey'itan

Quote from: Stranger Come Knocking
Quote from: Question 15If you could travel to anywhere in space and time (including fictional universes), where would you go and why?
Psh.  Only once?  Give me twenty seconds and I will have hijacked the TARDIS...AND THEN I WILL BE ALL POWERFUL!!!

OH MY GOD IT'S THE MASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!! EYWA SÌ TOKTOR, ZIVONG AYOE!
Nga txo ke flä nìsngä'i, rä'ä kivä Eywa'evengne! ;)

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: 'onatxan on April 23, 2012, 10:23:01 PM
Quote from: Question 15If you could travel to anywhere in space and time (including fictional universes), where would you go and why?
Psh.  Only once?  Give me twenty seconds and I will have hijacked the TARDIS...AND THEN I WILL BE ALL POWERFUL!!!

OH MY GOD IT'S THE MASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!! MA EYWA SÌ TOKTOR, ZIVONG AYOETI!
Ngeyä kxeyeyit oel lolatem :)
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

'Onatxan te Skxawng Tìrey'itan

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on April 24, 2012, 04:09:32 AM

Ngeyä kxeyeyit oel lolatem :)

aw. i was so proud of myself for that sentence. :(
Nga txo ke flä nìsngä'i, rä'ä kivä Eywa'evengne! ;)

Blue Elf

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on April 24, 2012, 04:09:32 AM

Ngeyä kxeyeyit oel leykolatem zeykolo :)
Fwa fkol zeyko keyeyti to fwa fkol leykatem keyeyti lu lesar ;D

Ma Stranger, Furia nga slu Na'vi kintrrä seykxel sì nitram! Ngal tolel holpxayit alor alu zamtsìvosìng - tuteru le'aw lu tsasyayvi nì'aw :D

QuoteI enjoy learning new languages.  Fluent in English, Advanced in Middle Egyptian, Intermediate in Na'vi, embarrassingly bad in Russian, beginner in Quenya, and just beginning in Italian, Greek, Hebrew, and half a dozen other languages.
it is just fantastic! Where you get enough time to learn so much languages?
QuoteI run The Library which is a collection of user-created books in Na'vi.  As of April 20, we have 6 books (5 are Na'vi).  Patronage is graciously requested.
Maybe I can add my story in the future. But it is too far from being complete

Regarding Ng/Ts questions - my tips are Ng/Ts/Ng
enjoy your week!
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Seze Mune

Very interesting!  

Are  you sure  you are not tossing out a coupla red herrings with that 2T+1F equation?  Hmmm?   ???

Well, okay.  Assuming the first statement is true, then the next one I'm guessing is also true.  Boa constrictor is the outlier, but the last one is true, imo.

And nope, we don't say Meesheegeen.  We say Mìshigän.   :D

Congratulations!!    ;D  You are our centesimal Na'vi of the Week!

Irtaviš Ačankif

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Kaltxì ma tsmuke :) Sorry I forgot to sticky your thread till today. Imma guess TFT for your questions. Enjoy the rest of your week :)

Quote from: Nantang 'Rrtayä on April 25, 2012, 09:31:45 AM
Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on April 25, 2012, 02:15:54 AM
Quote from: Seze Mune on April 24, 2012, 07:56:23 PM
We say Mìshigän.   :D
I say Mìshìgìn :)

Mih-Shih-Gin
Only way I've ever said it.

T/F/T

I say it kinda like Mì-shì-gun.

Also, I liked your name as Tanhì a mì ton. Sounded nice :) I'm a guy and my name means Singer and Dream Catcher of the Night I didn't think Tanhì a mì ton sounded pansy.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Irtaviš Ačankif

Tsmuktengan

Impressing! Congratulations!  ;)

Hmm, I don't have many clues but I'd say
- Tsleng
- Tsleng
- Ngay

Tanri

Seykxel sì nitram, ulte zola'eiu nìprrte' fìkìngmì sko zamtsìvosìnga Na'vi kintrrä :)

'En oeyä: Ngay, Ngay, Tsleng
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Stranger Come Knocking

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry for not being here; such a busy work week... @.@

it is just fantastic! Where you get enough time to learn so much languages?
Heh; I wonder that myself sometimes.

Are  you sure  you are not tossing out a coupla red herrings with that 2T+1F equation?  Hmmm?
There are definitely 2 true and 1 false.

And nope, we don't say Meesheegeen.  We say Mìshigän.
hrh Yeah, our worship pastor is always getting after the choir: "Stop with your Meesheegeen accent.  It's Michigan"
He's not a native. ;D

I'm a guy and my name means Singer and Dream Catcher of the Night I didn't think Tanhì a mì ton sounded pansy.
It did to me. >_>

2T&1L will be revealed tomorrow. :)
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Irtaviš Ačankif

I didn't think Tanhì a mì ton sounded pansy.
Txonä corrected your Na'vi; irayo sivi poru!  ;D

Stranger Come Knocking

Tsa-hey...shoulda waited until today to post my TTF.  I went on a freaking camel ride today. :D Bet none of you would have guessed that.
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall

Seze Mune

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

First off, congratulations on being number 100.  Been a long time coming.

I choose F/T/T.

A train is both loud and vibrates the ground so you would need to be deaf, blind and have no nerve endings in any of your skin NOT to notice it, IMO.
People play with snakes all the time, you did not specify WHERE it was, could be a pet store or petting zoo... or one of those bring animals to the school things.
Lastly, I say true because you might or might not be an Army brat, or your parents moved for work. Moving is not uncommon.

I too am a cat person. I tried bringing MY cat (the cat that owns me) to me new apartment but she did not like it, so she is back at my parents and I have the other cat now. The bully. So they are separated and I am told MY cat at my parents is doing MUCH better. Poor, defective, scared of her own shadow, cat.

A bit of an over achiever with the languages, aren't we? You could make MAD bank as an interpreter.

Zombie Apocalypse? Bring it on. Too many dumb people out there anyways.  ;D

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

Stranger Come Knocking

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 28, 2012, 03:28:22 PM
Camel ride in Michigan?  ???
Yup.  Local festival had camel rides.  Pretty awesome.  Rode a camel like a boss.

AND NOW THE GRAND REVEAL!

1. I have almost been hit by a train. TRUE.
Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on April 28, 2012, 06:14:09 PM
A train is both loud and vibrates the ground so you would need to be deaf, blind and have no nerve endings in any of your skin NOT to notice it, IMO.
MTTM: True, but there is an interesting story behind this.

It was a few years ago and there is an old railway that hadn't been used for some time.  It crosses about a car-length away from an intersection.  And it was a tiny intersection with no bars or warnings or anything actually.  Well, my mom (I was in the passenger seat) was stopped behind the tracks.  The light turned green and the train was coming.  It didn't blow its whistle and there weren't any of the normal lights or sounds you might normally associate with a train approaching a road.  My mom pulled forward and didn't notice the train.  We were just across the tracks when she saw it and, for whatever reason, slammed on the brakes, then immediately punched the gas.  We didn't move.  To cut the story short, we got across but just barely.

2. I have played with a real, live boa constrictor. TRUE.
People play with snakes all the time, you did not specify WHERE it was, could be a pet store or petting zoo... or one of those bring animals to the school things.
Good logic, but not the circumstances.  Actually, I was in Nicaragua last summer for a mission trip and one of our service projects was to buld the local pastor a kitchen with bricks.  We were moving bricks across the yard and out slithered a boa constrictor.  And, guess what, it was a baby boa constrictor. (And everyone went *awww*) I picked it up; it tried to strangle my wrist but couldn't quite touch.  I played with it for a little while and all the way back to the motel.

3. I have moved five times. FALSE.
Lastly, I say true because you might or might not be an Army brat, or your parents moved for work. Moving is not uncommon.
Nope.  Only moved twice.  That's about it.  And it didn't actually have anything to do with military or work.

It has been a lovely week with you all, and now I must step down from the limelight to make way for NotW #101! :D
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall