NotW #111: Ricardo

Started by Ricardo, August 01, 2012, 09:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricardo

First, I have to say, that this is a huge honor for me! I'd never thought that I would be Na'vi of the Week one day, because there are 1000000000+ people who really deserve it more than I do! Now I have to thank Yaknun every day that he made this come true!

Quote from: Question #1Who are you?

My name is Ricardo. I'm from Leipzig, Saxony, Germany. I was born on November 10, 1988. That means, I was a child of the German Democratic Republic. I live most time together with my parents and some animals. Yet I don't have a job. I'm studying TV journalism to get one. Languages I can speak/write are Deutsch, English, Français, Español and a little bit leNa'vi. That I must say "little bit" makes me sad every time. :( Beside Na'vi I want to learn Catalan, Italian, Portuguese, Russian and maybe some Asian languages like Japanese, Mandarin and/or Arabic.

Quote from: Question #2Why are you here?

As I told several times, I watched Avatar for the first time during the Christmas Days in 2010 on Sky, a pay TV channel. I think when I tell you that the experience of that movie hit me totally, you as the members of this community will understand best what I mean. I spent the week during Christmas and New Year's Eve nearly completely with finding further informations about Avatar. At some point, Google presented me Learn Na'vi. First the homepage, afterwards the forum. I didn't register the first days, only read. But then I registered. I was and I am very happy about the existence of LN. It may be the most friendly and tolerant community I've ever found. The hidden spoiler text of the question asks what took me here first: Pandora, the language, a character... It was everything together. I developed limerence for everything [at this point I had to change the batteries in my keyboard] related to Avatar, so this forum became a paradise for me.
I started learning Na'vi for several times and got really happy as I understood the first words in the movie, but because my free time is rare I had to stop it. I'll try a new start in the next days and this time I really want to succeed, because I love languages, dealing with them and learn them.
Well, why did I decide to stay? It's funny. Some days after my registration another one (maybe Passi?) asked my during a Skype chat what must happen that I want to stay. My answer has not changed. When I get member of a community and can stay there for a year with more or less the same activity, I'll stay "forever". That's what happened. I visit this page averagely three or four times a day. It wasn't as much when I was fresh. I have my favorite boards I'm looking in if something new happened. Those are the German subboard, the Fan Art-area, Linguistics, the Avatar-boards and sometimes the off-topic-boards down there.
But I'm still most excited when I get a PM. That's a bit like Christmas for me.  :D

Quote from: Question #3Where do your alias and profile pic come from?

Alias: There's no big secret. That's my first name.
My profile pic:

My name formed by letters made of little pretzels. There is a bigger version, we call it Russisch Brot (russian bread) which tastes even better.
It was a boring day and I played a bit with my food. The photo is the result.
There's a marble tabletop in the background. I use it as my desk. The slab rests on two sawhorses. I use them because I find normal desks boring. I always look for ways to make my life more comfortable. Gojng different as the mainstream is a welcome side effect. Because of that I'm having a projector instead of a TV in my room because it was way cheaper than a plasma or LED TV and it produces a much bigger picture on my wall than any TV I've ever seen. Nice extra: It knows how to play 3D. ;)

Quote from: Question #4Srak nga tsun nìna'vi pivlltxe?

As I wrote I started it several times. But at the moments there are only few words in my vocabulary. Shame on me! I started it because it was, of course, Avatar-related. But the real reason is that it's one of the most beautiful sounding languages. If it would sound like Klingon I probably never would want to learn it. My ultimate goal is to speak it fluently. I know that I have to seriously start it very soon because there are more and more vocabularies every month. I haven't told my family or many friends that I learn Na'vi. I'm not afraid of any reactions, I just don't think that they're interested. I noticed that when I told it some friends. There was no really interest. But it doesn't bother me.

Quote from: Question #5What's you favorite Na'vi word? Did you incorporate it (or others) into your everyday vocab?

Skxawng (nga lu) has replaced "Fail!" in my vocab. I'm not sure if the persons I say it to know what it means.
I like the word "lor", because everytime I read/say it a gentle forest in summer light green appears in front of me.
"eltu lefngap" - metallic brain - is a nice idea for paraphrasing a computer. I like this kind of translation.
Beside those examples there is no favorite word. I love the whole language, not only some words.

Quote from: Question #6In your opinion, what are the top three user-created content on the LN website?

I love every piece of art that's posted, because the artists share their works with us. I'll never have the abilities and talents some of them have. So it's nice to watch the art they make and to participate in this way. Please go on!
Everybody who does something to let other people learn the language easier deserves my deep respect. Without you the community couldn't exist. Please go on!
As last I choose the whole Learn Na'vi community itself as user-created content. You are the community, you make it happen every day everywhere on the world. You meet here in the internet and often in the real world. That's amazing! Everyone of you is important and needed and can help to make this an even better place. Please go on!

Quote from: Question #7Have you made any contributions to the LN community that you're particularly proud of?

I don't know. The only things which could count are my fan-fictions. I published three of them: "Naw", "Naw 2" and "Heiß und Gefährlich". I am lucky that I can use this as advertisement because the last one will be published soonly as an English version. It should be named "Hot and Dangerous". Ningey helped me a lot, he translated it. There are still some things to do, but then I/We can publish it. Most readers wrote me that it was easy to read and well-written. You'll hopefully read it, too. :D
Sometimes I help other writers like Eichhörnchen as a proof reader. If he or anyone else asks for help it's hard for me to say no. I like to help other people.
Once I made a sketch and colorized it. It must be somehwere in the Fan Art section. I never know if I should be proud of it or not. On the one hand I enjoyed the drawing process, on the other hand its quality is not comparable with other artpieces there.

Quote from: Question #8What is it that you liked/hated the most about Avatar ?

I didn't count the viewings. I watched it two or three times completely on Sky, one time in a cinema and several times at home in 3D. I have the big luck that one of my friends has had one of the 3D-promo Blu-Rays which were attached to Panasonic 3D products in Europe. He passed me a copy.
As written, I felt some kind of limerence for that movie. Unfortunately it's almost gone in my every day life. But as soon as I begin to watch the movie or sometimes even listen to the soundtrack it's back again. The created world is like a magical paradise for me. Even the part on dying earth. I like the most the shining of the nightly forest, the view from the top of the hometree and the contrast of human and Na'vi world.
If there might be something I could not like - because I dont't hate anything there - it's the use of Aristotle's drama theories. Cameron uses the famous drama triangle (for which I couldn't find an English expression) in all of his movies I know (Terminator, True Lies, Titanic, Avatar). Because of that in my eyes the first half of Avatar, the introducing part before the conflict bursts, entertains me a lot more than the second part which has of course its very nice parts, too.  

Quote from: Question #9Has Avatar  changed your life in any way?

It didn't change my life in that way. I was never a big fan of cosplay and things like that. I respect people who have fun with that, but I'll never be one of them. ;)
I was ever kind to animals and tried to understand them. Well, that doesn't fit to my early childhood, when I accidantely drove a budgie's tail feather off with a toy bike.  ;D But I looked after him after that happening and he reached a good age.
I'm trying to see pets as friends and companions, not as personal entertainment machines or slaves. I even try to catch and release insects and spiders istead of killing them.
But I don't look for a new life in a forest. I like to live in a modern society with technology, cars and so on. Thankfully, Germany is a country with highest environment standards. The changing during the last 20 ears, especially in the formerly GDR, is almost unbelievable. Of course it's expensive, but I think we as society are on a good way.
If Avatar has added something positive to my attitude, it may be that I try to see even more the beauty and the value in the sourrounding nature.

Quote from: Question #10If you could ask Frommer or Cameron three movie or language related questions what would they be?

I would ask Cameron for some advice. As director, he's my favorite one and my idol. Even if he would let me watch his work I could learn so much.
My question to Frommer could be, if he would participate in a big Learn Na'vi meeting which could be held one or two times a year. Those meetings should be very productive to have a platform, where people could really interact face to face with each other. There could be settled open questions and problems. I believe that such meetings were like a creativity catalyst for everyone.

Quote from: Question #11What else do you do in you free time?

In my free time I like to play football (REAL football, not the American ;) ), meet my friends, enjoy the nature and so on. During nighttimes and weekends I like to write things, for example fan-fictions, build 3D-objects with Sketchup, C4D and sometimes Unity. Sometimes I swim in the pool (I'll do that later today) or play with my dog/cats. And I mow the lawn. That's the only work in the garden I like to do.

Quote from: Question #12Name your top three favorite Earth animals from most favorite to least. Why those? What's the animal you're most terrified of?
I like wolves and dogs, felines, but especially house cats and lions and llamas. There's no really order. I can't say why I like them so much. They attract me in their special way. An animal that's missing is the dragon, but it's not real.
Because I live in the middle of Europe, there are no wild animals I could be afraid of their danger. Well, there are wolves anywhere out there, but I never saw one. Spiders are annoying, but not really terrible. If there might be fear, it would happen while I would meet a wild and dangerous animal at a place like Australia, Africa or South America and there would be no protection between us.

Quote from: Question #13Pirate, ninja, zombie, or robot?

Maybe a robot, if I could be like Bender. :D
If I could have super powers they were useful for time manipulation or like a cheat list for real life. That might be the easiest way to make the world better.

Quote from: Question #14What three items would you take to a desert island and why?

I hope it works as only one thing: A group of people. It would be just too boring if I should stay there forever alone.
The second thing is something to play or for entertainment. I don't know. A ball, a game or something to write.
Because I hope that the island would be in a tropic paradise and with a nice beach I would like to let be the last thing a surfboard.

Quote from: Question #15If you could travel to anywhere in space and time (including fictional universes), where would you go and why?
I would want to see my home city Leipzig during the tewnties and the thirties, because it must have been very nice at the time before it got bombed during WWII and disfigured by communistic architecture.
If I could travel anywhere in the universe I would wish to see a place, where real aliens live, if they exist.

Quote from: Question #16If you were granted one single wish what would it be?

The old "one single wish" question. :D My answer was always "Infinite wishes" because only one could never be enough. That may sound egoistical, but I need some wishes for things like worldwide peace, tolerance between the religions, help from the rich ones for the poor people and so on.

Quote from: Question #17What is a question you'd ask yourself? How would you answer it?

I ask myself many times what I can do to improve my character. Sometimes, friends or the internet are helpful to get useful answers.

Quote from: Question #18True or false?
1. I walked over the red carpet at the last Harry Potter's première.
2. I had an exclusive photo shooting with German football player Bastian Schweinsteiger.
3. I held an exciting speech at my prom, which I preparated just 5 minutes before, because it was a surprise.

Quote from: Question #19: My Life is AVTRWhat is the funniest, weirdest, or most embarrassing Na'vi or Avatar  related thing that has happened to you?

A prof caught me writing some Na'vi sentences on a paper and confiscated it. After the lesson she wanted to know, what that means. Before I could answer, she mentioned "A language?" I said yes, got my paper back without any words of her and went away.
The funniest experience must be my trip to Berlin. It was winter time, even the sidewalk in the centre of the city wasn't free of snow and slippery ice. That was very annoying but funny, too, and I swore to never go again to Berlin during winter. :D

Quote from: Question #20: Bonus QuestionGerman original by Yaknun:
Du bist schon sehr lange Mitglied im Portal, hast schon viel Na'vi gelernt und schreibst wunderbare Geschichten.
Wann hast Du geplant, Deine "erste" FF voll in Na'vi zu schreiben?

My translation:

You're now member of this portal for a long time, have learned a lot Na'vi and write wonderful stories.
When will you write your "first" FF completely in Na'vi?

It's a funny question, because I mentioned before, that my Na'vi is not as good as it should be. :D
Because my writing style is a complicated one it will take some time until I can write a fan-fiction completely in Na'vi.
But when I'll have learned some words and it'll be possible to express complete sentences, I will try to write a little story.
That's a promise. :D
You may see my other translated story as a step between writing in my mother tongue and writing in another language like Na'vi. ;)
Well. One day, your wish will be fullfilled.

Eana Unil

Kaltxì ma Ricardo ulte seykxel sì nitram!! :)
Gratuliere dir :)

Schön, dass in letzter Zeit mal wieder so viele aus der deutschen Ecke der Community zum NOTW auserkoren werden ^^ Nun ja auch du :)
Und das mit dem Na'vi lernen solltest du in der Tat irgendwann noch mal in Angriff nehmen, 'ne FF nìNa'vi von u.a. dir zu lesen, fände ich durchaus toll ;)

'en si oe:
ngay, tsleng, ngay.  :-\ :P

Yaknun

Kaltxi ma Ricardo,

herzlichen Glückwunsch zu Deinen gelungenen Texten in allen 20 Frage-Antwort-Spielen  ;)  und insbesondere zur lfd. Nr. - die 111 ist doch auch das absolute Highlight :) ;) :D

Ich drücke Dir die Daumen, daß Du in der Woche Deiner "Regentschaft" viele Leser findest, die auch gewillt sind, Dir gute Wünsche zu hinterlassen.

Deine mehrfach geäußerte Absicht, Na'vi nunmehr intensiv(er) lernen zu wollen, ist ein klares Statement, was an diesem Ort auch noch in 100 Jahren zu lesen sein wird  ;D ;D Wir alle werden es kontrollieren  :) ;) :D

Bezüglich Deiner drei Aussagen behaupte ich:  tsleng, ngay, ngay,

Kìyevame ulte Eywa ngahu
Yaknun
Neytiri:
"Sie leben, Jake, in Eywa"

alt, aber
vernarrt in AVATAR

Eichhörnchen

Ma Ricardo, oel ngati kameie

My heart is fulfilled with joy to see your here. Seykxel sì nitram ulte smon nìprrte'. :-*

QuoteBut when I'll have learned some words and it'll be possible to express complete sentences, I will try to write a little story.
That's a promise.

So we have the same Goal for the future. Very good. I like your "Naw". :)
But I fear we need first more particular words from Frommer to accomplish this.

About your true - false questions... tsleng - ngay - ngay  :-\

Enjoy your Week or leNa'vi... kintrrìri txana tì'o' ngar livu.

'Ivong Na'vi,

-ta Robert
kxetse sì mikyun kop plltxe

Blue Elf

Furia nga slu na'vi kintrrä, seykxel sì nitram, ma Ricardo!
Description of origin of your profile photo is interesting :), thanks for explanation.

About Ng/Ts statements, I'll try shoot into the dark: tsleng/ngay/ngay

Have a nice week (not just this one)!

B.E.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Human No More

"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

´eveng te atan

Ma Ricardo, ich gratuliere Dir!
Sehr schöne Texte, die Du geschrieben hast. Toll!

Zu den 3 Fragen:
tsleng - ngay - tsleng (fpìl oel)

ta 'eveng te atan

Palulukanä Tarontu

Glückwunsch auch von mir, dass du NotW geworden bist!
Du hast die Fragen gut und ausführlich beantwortet, so dass es Spass gemacht hat, deine Antworten darauf zu lesen.

Nun zu deinen 3 TrueFalse-Fragen sage ich mal:

richtig / falsch / falsch

old gallery link?id=1817[/img]

"When people are sitting on s*** you want, you make them your enemy. Then you're justified in taking it."
- Jake Sully
[email protected]

Tanri

Seykxel sì nitram ma Ricardo!
Sìlpey oe tsnì kintrr ngeyä lu 'o' sì prrte' ulte zola'u nìprrte' fìkìngmì alu kip sute a kolulat nì'it sneyä tìrey a mì 'Rrta.

Pxesäplltxeri ngeyä, fmìyi 'en sivi oe: Ngay, Ngay, Ngay.
Ìì, ke omum oel teyngta Pelun ftxoley fìfya, slä 'efu oel futa pxeya säplltxe nìwotx tsun livu ngay. :D
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Ikxeru

Kaltxì ma Ricardo, kameie ngat ulte seykxel sì nìtram,

ngeyä tìreyìri fmi oe 'iveyng pxesäplltxeviti a livatsu ngay, tsleng, ngay. ke omum oel lunit nìno, tsalsungay 'en si oe.

- ta Ikxeru
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Plumps

Furia nga lu Na'vi kintrrä seykxel sì nitram ;)

Very informative and fun to read at times :) I wonder why we haven't had the time to meet up yet :-\ It's not that far ;)

Kintrr lefpom

Ricardo

Tonight I want to finish my "regency" and pass the honor to another one.

@ Eana Unil:
Ich bin mir sicher, dass deine Bilder und dein neu gestarteter Webcomic mir weitere Inspiration und Motivation geben werden!

@Yaknun:
Danke, dass du mich auserkoren hast. Es hat wirklich Spaß gemacht!
Eine Schnapszahl zu haben ist ja auch was Besonderes.  :D
Ich bin guter Dinge, dass in 100 Jahren auch viel Kontrollierbares vorzeigbar sein wird. :D

@Eichhörnchen:
I'm glad that you answered here! You know that you're both for me, mentor and pupil, but mostly a kind of friend, if this is possible over the Internet without having seen each other. ;)

@Blue Elf:
I thank you a lot for your nice comment!

@Human No More:
Thank you! First I saw you tattoo it impressed me very much.

@ ´eveng te atan:
Ich danke dir für deine Glückwünsche!

@Palulukanä Tarontu:
Es freut mich, dass es Spaß machte, die Antworten zu lesen! / I'm pleased that it was fun reading the answers!

@Tanri:
I wish to be able to write comments comletely in Na'vi one day like you can do. That's my dream!

@Ikxeru:
I thank you for your comment and hope that new parts of your story will be there soon.

@Plumps:
Thank you! My miserable time management didn't allow me to visit the big meeting in Berlin.
But I'm sure that there'll be some free days during autumn/winter time for a more personal meeting.

At the end I'm thanking all humans and Na'vi who made me proud by visiting this topic and sometimes leaving a comment.

My three statements:

Tanri was right.
Everything really happened to me.

This is Ricardo signing off.