NotW #17: Markì

Started by Toruk Makto, August 09, 2010, 12:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Question #1Who are you?

My name is Mark Miller and I live in Houston, Texas. I turned 47 in April, which probably makes me one of the older people that are here on LearnNavi.org. When I am not designing enterprise networks for largish companies, I spend my time running a company called Pyromasters, LLC which is a pyrotechnic special effects company based in Texas.

Although English is really the only language I speak fluently, I fully intend to be conversational in Na'vi at some point.

I also run the server that the LearnNavi.org universe lives on.

Quote from: Question #2Why are you here?

The day after I saw Avatar for the first time, I realized that I had an overwhelming and totally unprecedented (in my experience) need to know more about the Na'vi. I'm a hard-headed special effects guy. I'm not obsessive about stuff and have never really had a huge fascination with languages, either natural or constructed.
Before now.
This film really hooked me. That same day, I sent an email to Dr. Frommer (in which I embarrassingly addressed him as "Mr. Frommer" instead of "Dr. Frommer" - apologies for that, ma Karyu!) in which I expressed my appreciation and respect for his language's contribution to the film. This is no small achievement. In my opinion, Avatar is a seminal event in film-making. Not just for the technical superiority of the CG and performance capture, but for the fact that the social messages of the film were delivered in such a powerful and successful way. I am guessing that James Cameron was not just out to make money, but putting the money where his conscience is. I'm also guessing that many people around the world have been changed by this film whether they know it or not.

Quote from: Question #3Where do your alias and profile pic come from?

My first alias on LN was "Txepäsiyu", which was my best translation of "PyroMaster" at the time. Being awkward to say, I shortened it to "Txepsiyu".
A couple of months ago, after receiving an email from Karyu Pawl where he referred to me as "Markì", I decided that the final authority of what my name in Na'vi should be had been definitively stated. Thus my nickname now.
The avatar pic is a stylized fire image to which I am partial, although I can't remember precisely where I found it. "Na'viru oel LN Olo'Txepit nerekx siveiyi" is my best translation for "Keeping the LearnNavi Clan Fire burning for the people" which is a euphemism of how I feel about my contribution to the world of LearnNavi.org.

Quote from: Question #4Srak nga tsun nìna'vi pivlltxe?

Oe pivlltxe nì'it lì'fya nìNa'vi. With the trouble I have absorbing the material, I think I am a self-inflicted victim of the "old dog, new tricks" syndrome. Having never tried to learn a new language, I'm having to "learn how to learn". By most accounts, Na'vi is a technically challenging language. I have had to spend a lot of time learning the basics of how language construction is described, while also trying to apply that to Na'vi in particular. The more advanced members of the Na'vi language community, with Karyu Pawl leading, are making impressive advances in methods and tools to help language noobs like me to get some momentum going in the learning process. I can say that the further along I get, the easier it gets - and that is definitely stoking the fire to learn. I haven't had this much fun learning something since I almost burned down the lab while building an exciplex laser in college! :)

Quote from: Question #5What's your favorite Na'vi word? Did you incorporate it (or others) into your everyday vocab?

My favorite word is "Tsaheylu" because it is the word for the most fascinating concept in Avatar for me. I rarely use it every day though, because there is very little opportunity to use it in proper context (for obvious reasons :) ).

Quote from: Question #6In your opinion, what are the top three user-created content on the LN website?

In no particular order, Taronyu's dictionary, Kaltxì Palulukan's Activity book, and Project NgayNume.

Quote from: Question #7Have you made any contributions to the LN community that you're particularly proud of?

Providing the physical server and network resources for LearnNavi to live on is something I will always be proud of.

Quote from: Question #8What is it that you liked/hated the most about Avatar ?

What I liked the most is that this film, with these kinds of social messages, did so well at the box office. "Hate" is too strong. What I would liked to have seen more of, is some foundation support of the Na'vi people including more time on their culture and the interactions of the Na'vi and humans before the point the film narrative begins. But I bet that is for future sequels. James Cameron probably did it on purpose. What a guy!  :)

Quote from: Question #9Has Avatar  changed your life in any way?

It has changed my outlook on many things. I have always been an environmental advocate, but now I also have a greater interest in indigenous peoples and their cultures. I am definitely more aware of the threats to these as well. As to being a psuedo Na'vi, not really. And I am not a religious person, so there hasn't been any supernatural revelations over here, either. That being said, if Eywa ever popped up and said "Hello" to me the way she does to the Na'vi, that would be a different story :) .

Quote from: Question #10If you could ask Frommer or Cameron three movie or language related questions what would they be?

Dr. Frommer: How much has Na'vi culture, as revealed by James Cameron, influenced the way you have built this language?
James Cameron: Does Eywa extend beyond Pandora, perhaps via the flux vortex?
Dr. Frommer again: At what point is a constructed language considered "finished"? Will it reach some kind of stable point where no further additions will be introduced?

Quote from: Question #11What else do you do in your free time?

I make VERY good slow-smoked barbecue (never tried Yerik, but I hear it smokes well!). I also love hiking and hot springs.

Quote from: Question #12Name your top three favorite Earth animals from most favorite to least. Why those? What's the animal you're most terrified of?

Most favorite are dolphins. There is much we don't know about them, but I bet there is a lot we could learn if we could chat.
Next favorite would be cats. If any creatures on earth have personalities and opinions stronger than those of cats, then we are doomed.
Third favorite would be horses. A horse will be your best and most loyal friend if you let them.

Terrifying? That would be snakes. It's primal, so don't expect me to tell you why.

Quote from: Question #13Pirate, ninja, zombie, or robot?

Wow. Hmmm. Well.... Can I subtype ninja to Shaolin Ch'an priest? I see Shaolin Taoism in some of the brief glimpses of Na'vi culture.

Quote from: Question #14What three items would you take to a desert island and why?

I would take a laptop with a satellite internet connection, my wooden flute and a margarita machine with 10 years of supplies. The reasons for these should be immediately obvious... :)

Quote from: Question #15If you could travel to anywhere in space and time (including fictional universes), where would you go and why?

I think I would travel to San Francisco in the 24th century, just to see the buildings of the Starfleet Academy!  

Quote from: Question #16If you were granted one single wish what would it be?

I would wish for no war, anywhere, ever. Period.

Quote from: Question #17What is a question you'd ask yourself? How would you answer it?

Why is a 47 year old guy doing all this stuff with LearnNavi?  Because I don't feel 47, and besides, whoever said being over 40 means to you have to act like an old fart?

Quote from: Question #18True or false?

1. T/F: I had my knee damaged by a false killer whale.
2. T/F: I foiled a hijacking attempt on a commercial flight to Phoenix, AZ
3. T/F: I have seven cats.

Quote from: Question #19: My Life is AVTRWhat is the funniest, weirdest, or most embarrassing Na'vi or Avatar  related thing that has happened to you?

I tried to tell my mother-in-law in Na'vi that the dress she was wearing looked nice. She misunderstood what I said thinking it was English, and thought I had insulted her.

Quote from: Question #20: Bonus QuestionBonus question: How would you do a Na'vi or Avatar themed fireworks show?...

I would use lots of aerial shells in blues and greens. I would make sure to hold the display FAR away from Kelutrel - and would make sure Eywa knew what I was doing, so she wouldn't think I was attacking the Na'vi and send a bunch of angry angtsìk to stomp on me!

[EDIT: Added photo]

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Lance R. Casey

Seykxel sì nitram furia leNa'via tute kinäa srrä slolu!

Quote from: Markì on August 09, 2010, 12:49:53 PM
Quote from: Question #15If you could travel to anywhere in space and time (including fictional universes), where would you go and why?
I think I would travel to San Fransisco in the 24th century, just to see the buildings of the Starfleet Academy! 
For a glimpse of those, present-time Van Nuys might suffice... ;)

T/F-ìri, my guess is that the feline number may be incorrect.

// Lance R. Casey

Toruk Makto

Oh wow, that is an uncanny resemblance!

wm.annis

Three cheers for Markì, who gives us things that make us go!

Toruk Makto

I have the easy part. You guys working to advance the language with such expertise deserve the real cheers.

I'm serious.

ta Markì

Ftiafpi

Txantsan ma Markì!

I'm gonna guess F/F/F, because those are just wayyyy to ridiculous. :P

And I would LOVE to see an Avatar/Na'vi themed fireworks show, that would be amazing to see with some music from The Movie.

Toruk Makto

Wm said he thought it was a silly question, but dammit, I am developing a bad case of wanting to design such a show.

I think I will! :D

Dreamlight

Cats are the highest form of life on earth.  :D

False, true, true.
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

SunTzu te tsamtseo

Congrats ma Marki,

for the N/T my wild guess is

N/N/T

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Taronyu

I'ma gonna guess all true.

Good post, Markì. Thanks for being server savvy. :D

Toruk Makto

I love this T/F bit...   :D

wm.annis

Hmm.  I guess I'll go with F/F/T.

Dreamlight

Quote from: Taronyu on August 10, 2010, 11:57:00 AM

At least one must be false.
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Taronyu

Quote from: Dreamlight on August 10, 2010, 10:38:14 PM
Quote from: Taronyu on August 10, 2010, 11:57:00 AM

At least one must be false.

I'm gonna vote false on your false.

Plumps

Seykxel sì nitram tìlusuri NotW :D

I honestly don't know what the technical talk is about but I understand it's important for this community so, thank you for that! ;) :P

Toruk Makto

Hmmm, Technical?   It's true or false, ma tsmukan! It's not technical...       ;)

Plumps

I wasn't talking about the T/F questions ;) I'm so bad at this, I won't even give it a shot :P

Prrton

Seykxel sì nitram! ulte IRAYO!!!

I can't get the font big enough to fully express my true emotions!

I am your #1 fan, ma Markì!

Tì'efumì oeyä:  Ngay, Tsleng, Ngay*

Fra'uri ngaru seiyi IRAYO!

PS: You're not the only one over 40 and I'm a much bigger old fart already than you'll ever be.

Toruk Makto

Goodness. I don't think I have had fans before....   :D

Zola'u nìprrte', ma 'eylan anawm.

ta Markì

Le'eylan

Conga rats! ;D

I guess F/T/T

I REALLY HOPE THE LAST ONE IS TRUE :D :D
Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog