LearnNavi Community > Na'vi of the Week

NotW #2 Rolyu

(1/4) > >>

Rolyu:
1. Who are you?
Rawr!  I am the Skitty with food poisoning!!!!!
Or was during that Anime Convention.  I can never eat orange chicken again.
Hai!  My name is Carmen Sipes, otherwise known as Saki, Rolyu, or Skank, depending on who you are.  I was born and raised (mostly) in Eastern Washington, I now live in Covington, somewhat closer to the coast but not quite where I like.  I love animals, art, growing things, longboarding, and gathering and hoarding random tidbits of information.  I have been known as a know-it-all and brain clutter machine.
I play guitar and mix some techno as well.  When I'm feeling a little wild I put pink and white dread falls in my hair, wear my fuzzy pink bikini and platform boots, put some Kandi on my arms, and I go dancing!!!!  My favorite thing about Seattle besides the climate: parties every weekend!

2. Why are you here?
Well... it all started with a movie called Avatar.  Like many of you, I saw it as often as I could afford.  It was actually the moderator of the Customs and culture board, Ting, who pressured me into joining.  I haven't been into forums for a while so I was skeptical and feeling "meh" but I joined up.  I'm so glad I have.  I'm still here because I like a lot of you guys, I love Avatar, and I feel like I can fill a niche with my art.  

3. Where do your alias and profile pic come from?
My alias Rolyu means something along the lines of Singer in Na'vi.  We picked that name because my actual name means joyful song or someone who sings.  It can also mean Red.  The profile pic is me... photoshopped... you get the idea.

4. Srak nga tsun nìna'vi pivlltxe?
psh. I just draw stuff.  I can't read.  XD

5. What's you favorite Na'vi word? Did you incorporate it into your everyday vocab?
Vrrtep.  I like how the rr is rolled on the tongue.  No. I do not speak Na'vi often.

6. In your opinion, what are the top three user-created content on the LN website?
•   The Dictionary, updated nearly daily
•   Learn Na'vi the Easy Way: Kaltxì Palulukan's Activity book. Priceless. Also, free. And awesome.
•   Na'vi nì'aw: Total immersion into the language. I don't venture there yet, but am constantly amazed at everyone who posts there with any regularity.
I am going to second the previous answer.  These are priceless resources!

7. Have you made any contributions to the LN community that you're particularly proud of?
Kaltxi Palulukan and Tony the Palu.  The brain child of KP and I.  

8. What is it that you liked/hated the most about Avatar?
I loved the intense sweeping views and the realism.  The colors, and, opposite of everyone else, I love how classic the story is.  There is nothing new to the plot, sure, but that's the point.  Even a few hundred years from now when we are traveling to other solar systems, the human nature does not change.  We still resort to the same archaic behaviors to get what we want.  I didn't like the forced and awkward feeling of the dialogue in the beginning of the movie.  It reminded me of the play I directed senior year.  I was working with 7th and 8th grade actors, most of which were taking theater because they didn't want to do band.  Yes, normal conversation can get kind of awkward, but not like that.  It was just... very fake sounding.  I expected more of professionals.

9. Has Avatar changed your life in any way?
Not an awful lot.  I still do what I normally do, still eat how I used to eat.  The basis of the Na'vi movement (eating healthy, organic, care for the environment, enjoying the outdoors, respect for other cultures) is new for a lot of people, but it's already been my life, pretty much.  However, I have made some pretty kickass friends in the forum.  :)  I like that.

10. If you could ask Frommer or Cameron three movie or language related questions what would they be?

a.  Did you realize before hand how much you were going to have to strip your storyline to fit the movie into an Imax reel?  Why did you sacrifice the depth of the story for the IMax?
   b. Dr. Frommer- just what is a proper Na'vi accent?  How would we know?
   c. Cameron - What do you think of the various world groups who are using Avatar as the catalyst of their human rights pleas?

11. What else do you do in you free time?
I play video games and hang out with my boyfriend.  I cook, read, and make teas. I also spend way too much of my time watching random youtube and newgrounds videos.
My favorite Video Games:
CODMW2 - it's not a hack, it's SpazzAttack!
WoW- don't even start.
DDR- any of them really
Sim City- unfortunately, that old game won't run on my 64bit OS.  :(

12. Name your top three favorite Earth animals from most favorite to least. Why those? What's the animal you're most terrified of?
Cat- uber fav!  
Chipmunk - I don't even mind when they eat my strawberries, they are so cute!
Amazon Parrots - They are intelligent, noisy, sociable, and messy.  My kind of critter!
I am absolutely terrified of jellyfish.

13. Pirate, ninja, zombie, or robot?

14. What three items would you take to a desert island and why?
A lifetime supply of water.  So I don't die on this desert island.

A fishing boat.  So I can catch fish and crabs and eat them all up yum yum.  The boat is fully stocked with many kinds of fishing gear, a first aid kit, lifejackets, radio, and a small survival kit containing a knife, a magnesium block, a thermal blanket, plastic sheeting, and rope.

Sunscreen.  So I don't get a sunburn out on my fishing boat.

15. If you could travel to anywhere in space and time (including fictional universes), where would you go and why?
I would say Pandora, but as a human, I don't think I would enjoy it very much.  : ()  I am going to have to say I wish I could just go right up into the Eagle Nebula.  When I look at it I just want to cry, it's so beautiful.  

16. If you were granted one single wish what would it be?
I would wish that all humans' goodness ran so deep and strong no one could bring themselves to purposefully harm or abuse another.

17. What is a question you'd ask yourself? How would you answer it?
I would ask myself - why the hell did I do that?
I usually don't have a good answer.  XD

18. True or false?*
I think that skunks smell like dark, iced coffee on a summer morning, and those big copper colored pine beetles who "stink" smell like bananas and pears.  I also think that canned peas smell like dog, green tea smells like hay, lilies smell like decaying flesh, and water lilies smell like petroleum.  
I once went snorkeling in Hawaii, and feeling brave, swam almost a quarter mile out from the beach.  Once out there, I found that the water was only knee deep, and I swam among a herd of sea turtles grazing on sea grass in the warm, shallow meadow.
When I was younger, I used to stalk deer in my field.  One step at a time, I would inch closer and closer until I could almost touch them.  I finally stopped this hobby when I went up close to a trophy buck who, instead of running away when he realized I was there, grunted, pawed the ground, shook his horns at me, and started coming closer, looking very large and menacing. I ran.

19. What is the funniest, weirdest, or most embarrassing Na'vi or Avatar related thing that has happened to you?
At the Sakura-con, there was a woman in a really amazing Na'vi costume.  I said Kaltxi! to her, and she was like, Wha...? What's that??  And then I started yelling at her.  Ooops.  o.o

20. What inspires you to create?
A lot of things inspire me.  First is my difficulty expressing my emotions or frustrations.  What I can't say with words, I can say with a painting, a drawing, a song on my guitar, a garden, or maybe a collage.  Second is my desire to capture and possess beauty.  When I see something beautiful, I want it for my own, so I do my best to imitate it.  Lastly- I really just can't help it.

Uniltsamsiyu:
Congrats on the NotW!! it's so weird, i got food poisoning from orange chicken too at my last con DX Panda Express? Never eating there EVER again.

Rolyu:
Thank you!  ^^

And Lol no it was some random place in westlake mall in Seattle.

Toruk Makto:
Yellow snow and orange chicken are DEFINITELY off my list.    ;) ;D

Congrats on NotW!

tsrräfkxätu:
Yaaay! Una tute! :D

I'm so glad you finally managed to post this, I was getting worried that NotW might die after the first week... whew! (I know it wasn't your fault that things got out of hand. ::))

#2: You seem like a very nice person. We bumped into one another a few times and you always had something kind to say to me. :-*

#7: Tony the Palu, LOL! I missed that.

#10/a: Oh, wow, I didn't even know JC had to change stuff because of the IMAX screening, but I've always wondered why the movie is so much more shallow than the scriptment. Where did you hear that?

#13: OMG!! I didn't know this one. Instant fav! :D

#15: Are you a stargazer?

#18: T – I also associate many of those smells with the things on your list, so I know what you mean. I don't snort beetles though, so I'm not sure about that one. :D
T – I've never been to Hawaii, but I can totally see this happening.
F – Nah, this is too much like the ’angstìk scene from Avatar. :D

#19: You yelled at her for not speaking Na’vi?? Nang! Way to go! I wonder if she's here now? :D

Congrats, and enjoy your week! :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version