NotW #29: Txur'Itan

Started by Txur’Itan, November 01, 2010, 03:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Question #1Who are you?

I am Txur'Itan.  On Earth I am known as Christopher Nelson.  I was born in 1973.  My family is complicated, and filled with nuts, but I love em.  My Job is pretty cool, I work for a video game company in the Bay Area, and it pays the bills.  I have had many adventures while working there, and met many amazing professionals in the industry, and even helped to mentor a few of them.

Quote from: Question #2Why are you here?

I caught the midnight showing opening night.  After watching avatar for the first time, I went through withdrawals after the movie was over.  I sought out everything, including learning about the language of Na'vi, I found many posts, and information about the books that were published, learnnavi.org was in its infancy, but I found an exploding community of kindred souls, and decided to move in and set up camp.  I was on a quest, and it led me here.

Since Neytiri is obviously taken, and I am not one to swim in another man's pool, I actually liked the leader of the leader of the Ikran riders of the Eastern Sea, she is kind a cute.  Turns out it was played by Zoe's stunt double I think.  I have not checked since I read that part thought.

Quote from: Question #3Where do your alias and profile pic come from?

Oeyä Alias: I used some early vocabulary and a ton of entomological websites with definitions for names, and essentially it means the same thing as Nelson, Son of champion or son of the strong.  It was as close as I was getting at the time, and I decided it would be easier to keep it even after I found better ways to convert my name.

Oeyä Profile pic: The first one I made in MS-paint, it was a pic of me sitting in a lawn chair, it was not a very good looking Avatar-ization, but it had the virtue of being one of the early attempts, it was wonderfully horrible.  The current one was hand drawn by a caricature artist at sixflags, it was a suggestion from my niece, I went with it, and suggested that she do the loin cloth, the bow and arrow, and the beard.

Quote from: Question #4Srak nga tsun nìna'vi pivlltxe?

I wanted to be able get a more fully immersed experience from the movie, and being able to not have to read the subtitles after a while achieved exactly that.  My hope is that I will be able to do that with 2 & 3 on the first viewings.

My methods for learning are sloppy at best, I was never a very traditional student growing up.  I am lucky to remember any of the language at all with my somewhat chaotic and unfocused brain.

I am sure they all know by now though, I advertised on Facebook multiple times.  I grew up on Star Trek, and Star Wars, my grandmother, who knows the definition of hard work, since the days of the great depression, her favorite Star Trek is the Wrath of Kahn, (She said Ricardo Montalban was cute).  A little Klingon here and there was not uncommon for us, but we did not become fluent.  As for my Family Na'vi did not phase them.  My co-workers on the other hand, they have some mixed views, but over all, they don't actually care.  

My 1st niece has spoken some Na'vi.  But I think the second and third may develop some legitimate interest in 5 years.

Quote from: Question #5What's you favorite Na'vi word? Did you incorporate it (or others) into your everyday vocab?

Kaltxì - It is common enough to be widely understood, and it is on my first LN shirt.  It has an Ejective, which makes it unique when compared to other words spoken in my presence or by me.

Txep - Because I love to play with fire.

Skxawng - Who doesn't love this word.

Quote from: Question #6In your opinion, what are the top three user-created content on the LN website?

Taronyu's dictionary.

Wiki.learnnavi.org

Fan fiction & fan art threads

Quote from: Question #7Have you made any contributions to the LN community that you're particularly proud of?

My contributions have been sporadic, not tightly focused on a single project.

I helped develop some forum policies, suggested some of the forum sections and naming approaches that have become popular on the boards.
I'd spend time discussing my interests or perspectives on Grammar.
I proposed some vocabulary ideas for the LEP.
I try to keep the spammers occupied.
I was one of the first 3 posters in Na'vi nì'aw, see here... (and it shows, I have infixes in Nouns).
I have put a good deal of effort into maintaining peace between forum members, or offering a listening ear to those who have needed a friend, I never want anyone to feel like they do not belong here, even if they are harsh enough bag on everything we do here.

I came up with this Joke, which was sent to Conan Obrien as part of an E-Mail response to his speaking Na'vi on the show.

Knock Knock
Who is there?
Eywa Nga
Eywa Nga who?
Eywa Nga hu to you too!

I have been very busy in my personal life lately, I know I will need to improve my Na'vi skills before I will have the confidence to teach again.

Quote from: Question #8What is it that you liked/hated the most about Avatar ?

Liked – The whole freaking movie.

Hated – It was far shorter that was necessary to fulfill my addiction to the environment depicted on screen.

Saw Avatar – less than 100 more than 40, lost count a while ago.

Avatard as a word should be stricken from the dialogue of fans.  It is derogatory towards fans and to special needs people.  Not everyone agrees with me on this, but we should call ourselves Avatarii or an appropriate Na'vi word.  

How big of a fan am I?  I have personally contributed $3000 to my addiction in shirts, books, movie viewings, purchase of the DVD, and some money I can not account for.  I have been closely following all of the Press about the sequels, and have been researching all of the early information from preproduction of the First Movie.  I predict with significant inability to see the future that Mermaid like Na'vi and something equivalent to a dolphin Ikran Mix as featuring prominently in Avatar 2 or 3.

Quote from: Question #9Has Avatar  changed your life in any way?

Changed my life? Yes, I have accepted my Nerdiness.

Becoming Na'vi? I have looked into the various forms of Biological, and surgical modifications.  If I thought I could do it and afford it, and Keep My job, I could definitely make it real.  But, I am probably going to draw the line at learning the language.

Hair in a long braid? Not yet.
Blue? Emotionally, yep.
Bond with animals? I am somehow able to speak to sparrows, or at least cause them to flock my way.  It freaked my Ex-Wife out.
Gaia on my Friends List?  I have been known to alter weather patterns, or at least sense what they will be, can never tell cause and effect on this one.  Actually, I am a natural meteorologist I think.
Photo Shopped?  Some here and there, not the current one.  I am pretty honest about how I look IRL.

Quote from: Question #10If you could ask Frommer or Cameron three movie or language related questions what would they be?

To JC: Can I play an extra in the Sequels?
To Paul: What are some good study habits for people who learn languages quickly?
To Both: Will you be in the Sequels, as Na'vi for Cameos?

Quote from: Question #11What else do you do in you free time?

Adobe After Effects.
Blender.
Chroma Key.
Writing.
Acting.
Family time.
Watching Movies & TV.

Quote from: Question #12Name your top three favorite Earth animals from most favorite to least. Why those? What's the animal you're most terrified of?

Sparrow - Helped raise one from hatchling, and now I appear to have an unusually strong rapport with the birds.

Parrot – They are just cool.  I have had a few growing up, and My grandmothers was my favorite, always cussing and barking like a dog.

Dolphin – They seem so interesting when they are curious.  A Dolphin swam up to me off the coast of San Diego, it was interesting how it would investigate my activities, and try to figure me out.

Quote from: Question #13Pirate, ninja, zombie, or robot?

Pirate – Because I am descended from Black Beard.  On my Mother's side.  

Why? I like tradition sometimes.

Quote from: Question #14What three items would you take to a desert island and why?

In the real world I'd want...  but, probably not have at the time...
A satellite phone.
A GPS Tracker.
A Swiss army knife.

Escape is not possible... but, in this place anything can happen?
Neytiri
Sea Ikran Tribe Leader
A bottle of Captain Morgan's Rum

Quote from: Question #15If you could travel to anywhere in space and time (including fictional universes), where would you go and why?

The Fairy Tale land of Disney Princesses, since even a Guy wants a happy ending.

Quote from: Question #16If you were granted one single wish what would it be?

1,000,000 More wishes.

Quote from: Question #17What is a question you'd ask yourself? How would you answer it?

Q: Am I crazy?
A: You asked us this last week.

Quote from: Question #18True or false?

I am descended from Catherine De Aragon, princess of Spain, and First Ex-Wife of King Henry the 8th.
I work for the NSA, and am monitoring Al Queada operatives attempting to pass coded messages in Na'vi.
I am flying in a blue dream.

Quote from: Question #19: My Life is AVTRWhat is the funniest, weirdest, or most embarrassing Na'vi or Avatar  related thing that has happened to you?

Getting to talk to Paul Frommer during our Communities first collective contact with him via conference call.

I participated in the Good Morning America interview, told everyone I Know they were going to see me on the program, and the west coast got dropped from the segment, I think I jinxed us.  I have to say, it was good meeting everyone, but I should probably have said nothing to anyone about watching the spot about me being a part of it.  That way I would feel a bit less sheepish later.

NoTW - feels strange for me to be talking about myself.  Maybe I will be funny, or just annoying, don't know.

Quote from: Question #20: Bonus Question...
edit: fancified with Papyrus

[/quote]

NOTW #28

Friends: I think that there are many tiers of friends.  The ones that stand out for me right now are:

1) those you meet, and casually take enjoyment from their company,

2) those who are new to you, and share a strong common interest through which you are starting to learn about each other,

3) those who you knew for a long time and think of as family,

4) and those who call themselves friend who actually don't treat me very well.

Most everyone I have met through LN are type 2 and my pleasure to meet and Know.

Some of you in particular may be closer to Type 3, but for reasons beyond our common interests on LN.  After nearly a year, it would surprise and sadden me if this were not coming true.

Type 4 – I don't talk to them, ever, and they probably prefer it that way...

Significant Other:

I was married to a woman who spent much of her life confused. She stopped dating women to give me a try, and for a time it was good for the both of us, or so she would proclaim to her friends.  She could not have kids, and because she had a tumor burned out of her head, she could not remember the little things.  We grew apart as quickly as we grew together.  Now I am not married to her anymore as she left me for another woman, to find someone she could kiss without whiskers.  

I have not been dating since 2009.  I think I have had enough of Love, as they tend to love me and leave me to cry into my vodka or to laugh at my pain.  That and finding someone willing to date my aging fat ass has for me been like finding a diamond in a pile of hot dung; I might have wanted it, and the idea of having that prized treasure close to me seemed very rewarding, but trying to dig around to find it totally sucked, and they tend to get stolen.  I just want to put the search behind me, or just stop looking.

Kìyevame ma eylan!
私は太った男だ。

Skxawng

Quote from: Txur'Itan on November 01, 2010, 03:46:17 PM
Neytiri
Sea Ikran Tribe Leader

baaaaaaahahhahahaha excellent

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Skxawng on November 01, 2010, 03:56:21 PM
Neytiri
Sea Ikran Tribe Leader

=)
私は太った男だ。

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Skxawng on November 01, 2010, 03:56:21 PM
Neytiri
Sea Ikran Tribe Leader

Oe mllte, ma 'eylan.  Fì'u leiu lehangham!

Also...

True: you said, after all, that you were descended from Black Beard... connection there somehow...
False: I would not be surprised if they had learned this language, and are trying to use it as code.  But, then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they rejected it because of it being from an American movie.  In the end, I have to choose false, because I doubt they would compromise their extremist ways for some sort of "code" that anyone can access.
True: Because we all are, more or less, and it IS possible to be in a constant state of euphoria.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Ekirä

Congrats ma Txur'Itan!! Thanks for being such an excellent Spam mod. ;D

I'll guess True, False, True.

'Oma Tirea

Guessing: False, False, True (C/C/G fpi aysute a plltxe lì'fya leNa'vi)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

Congratulations, and very nice NotW!

Hmm...T/F/T?

Maweyatan

F/F/T

Congrats!

Maweyatan

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on November 01, 2010, 10:35:01 PM

I do believe that C does not exist in Na'vi, my friend. :P

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Maweyatan on November 01, 2010, 10:51:07 PM

C= TS and G = NG, although this writing convention in plain form is becoming more obsolete.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on November 01, 2010, 10:57:29 PM
Quote from: Maweyatan on November 01, 2010, 10:51:07 PM

C= TS and G = NG, although this writing convention in plain form is becoming more obsolete.

I am surprised that people are not busting out Corpus examples, and siting references. LOL!
私は太った男だ。

Dreamlight

[snip]

Avatard as a word should be stricken from the dialogue of fans.  It is derogatory towards fans and to special needs people.  Not everyone agrees with me on this, but we should call ourselves Avatarii or an appropriate Na'vi word.  

[snip]

Yes!  You got a karma cookie for that.

True, False, True.
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

txantsan ma Txur`itan

I'm glad to see you were picked as NoTW. I fondly remember meeting you in person at the late August meetup in the Bay Area. That was the funnest night of 2010 so far!

I've always liked your 'avatar' pic. It is definitely a bit off the beaten path.

I am going to guess T/T/N on your N/T questions.

Enjoy your week!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Taronyu

You, sir, win the island game.

You raised a sparrow? That must have been cool, man. Did you teach it to whistle differently?

T/F/F. I hope.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Taronyu on November 02, 2010, 04:28:30 AM
You, sir, win the island game.

You raised a sparrow? That must have been cool, man. Did you teach it to whistle differently?

T/F/F. I hope.

I learned how to make a noise it responded to, from listening to the sounds it would make naturally.  It was strange having the sparrow fly up to my chest and be excited to see me.  I think it would get stressed when it would have to wait for hours for me to come home from school.
私は太った男だ。

Nyx

Your knock-knock joke still cracks me up ;D Congrats on the NotW. Here's my guess: N/T/N

Quote from: Txur'Itan on November 02, 2010, 06:07:41 AM
I learned how to make a noise it responded to, from listening to the sounds it would make naturally.  It was strange having the sparrow fly up to my chest and be excited to see me.  I think it would get stressed when it would have to wait for hours for me to come home from school.
That's adorable ^^

überdoodlet

Cool, cool, cool.

True, False, True?

Toruk Makto

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Txur’Itan

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on November 02, 2010, 02:55:49 AM
txantsan ma Txur`itan

I'm glad to see you were picked as NoTW. I fondly remember meeting you in person at the late August meetup in the Bay Area. That was the funnest night of 2010 so far!

I've always liked your 'avatar' pic. It is definitely a bit off the beaten path.

I am going to guess T/T/N on your N/T questions.

Enjoy your week!

I am rewarded with laughter, always a pleasure.
Quote from: Nyx on November 02, 2010, 09:38:56 AM

Your knock-knock joke still cracks me up  Congrats on the NotW. Here's my guess: N/T/N

Quote from: Txur'Itan on November 02, 2010, 06:07:41 AM
That's adorable ^^

Quote from: Ikranari on November 02, 2010, 10:09:32 AM
Congratiulations a lot!
the knock knock joke is epic  ;D

I think F/F/T  ;D

Irayo!

Quote from: überdoodlet on November 02, 2010, 02:04:20 PM
Cool, cool, cool.

True, False, True?

Irayo!

Quote from: Markì on November 02, 2010, 04:03:54 PM
Congrats, ma oeyä tsmukan!

Irayo Markì, ma oeyä tsmukan!
私は太った男だ。

Prrton

I'm going with T, F, T. I don't know how the first one is True based on "standard wisdom", but YEAY if it is. :-)

I also have to say that you, Sir, are one of the most generous folks I've ever met. Not a small part of that 3k you mention has gone towards the care and feeding of your fellow community members and you deserve something even more honorable than NotW in recognition of that!!

Seykxel sì nitram!