NotW #32: Puvomun

Started by Puvomun, November 21, 2010, 11:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puvomun

Kaltxì ma smuk!

Who are you?
Starting off with the trick questions, are we? I am probably among the older LNa'vi here. I am 50 years old now. My 'Rrta name Paul Kater, and I live in the Netherlands. Most of you will probably know me as Puvomun.
My work is in the IT area, I am a consultant for companies.

I have a younger tsmuke. Our sempul is still alive and well at 87 years.

I communicate with the world in Dutch (obviously), English (also obvious), German, French, Chinese, some Greek, some Japanese, some Polish, dwindling amounts of Norwegian and I am trying to get a grip on Na'vi. :-)

Why are you here?
After seeing Avatar 3 times (in 3 days) I was so in love with the whole atmosphere and the people, their attitude towards Nature, and the language that I just had to find out more. I found several forums on Avatar that did not go deep enough, and then I located LearnNavi.org. The wealth of topics, information and people here made me look longer, and join, and become a bit of a fulltime member. This does not mean I am on the forum all the time, but I do try to keep up. Because I love it here. An hour a day is I think my average here.

Where do your alias and profile pic come from?
My profile picture is really me. I coloured myself Na'vi for going to fantasy fairs several times, and someone took this picture of me. I like it, so that is why I chose it to scare all of you.
My name, Puvomun, is literally the Na'vi number '50'. This, I know, is not our fifty, but since I joined LN in the year I had turned 50, I thought this would be a nice touch.

Srak nga tsun nìna'vi pivlltxe?
I feel like the eternal beginner with Na'vi. I am slowly picking up some grammar things, and sometimes when I remember a new word it feels as if I forgot two. Learning Na'vi is, for me, a goal in itself. I want to know the language of the movie that touches me so deeply everytime I see it. To learn it I grab a bit of everything. I have the Android app on my phone, I play with the Seed of Language program, and I have the dictionary PDFs which are my friends. :D
People at work know I am studying Na'vi and they mocked me about that at first, but I chose to ignore them. This is something for me, and if they can't handle that, too bad. For them.

What's you favorite Na'vi word? Did you incorporate it (or others) into your everyday vocab?
Eywa is my favourite, definitely. It is not only a wonderful sound to me, it also blends in well with my pagan roots.
Irayo and kehe slip out often before I know it...

In your opinion, what are the top three user-created content on the LN website?
I love the way that people here show their spirituality and their beliefs and make them blend in with the Na'vi way of spirituality. Also the forum topics on Na'vi culture / environmental awareness are magnificent. And the creativity that people display, in their writings, music and their images. There are real artists here. Irayo, ma smuk, for all the wonder you bring to us!

Have you made any contributions to the LN community that you're particularly proud of?
Blowing your own horn is never easy. Thank you. ;)
I have to say then that I am proud of the responses on the writing I put on the fanfiction subforum. At first it was for fun, but then the comments made me write more (actually throw my Nanowrimo plans away). And yes, I plan on keeping at it for now. Until people beg me to stop. ;)

What is it that you liked/hated the most about Avatar?
Well, after seeing the movie 29 times (since last Saturday), I can state that I am quite a fan. Avatard? Sure, why not! Carry a name with pride and its meaning becomes glorious. :)
The things that always get me is the serene beauty of the forest, the sounds of the animals and the fluent way the Na'vi move. There is magic splendour in the large overviews of the forest.
What makes me cry every time is the disrespect of the sawtute towards nature. The way they are doing here on 'Rrta in so many places. And I cry not only over that when I see the movie... I also do when seeing what happens right outside the door.

Has Avatar  changed your life in any way?
When I discovered that how I feel is called 'pagan', it was a homecoming for me. Seeing Avatar and getting to know the Na'vi made that feeling stronger. I see myself as blue on the inside and tawtute coloured on the outside.

This is the first spot where I am not human-coloured. I am starting to become blue. Slowly.

And this is how I look in blue. This is theatre paint, no photoshopping. ;D
Gaia, or Eywa, have been with me since many decades (one benefit of being old is being able to say that!). And Avatar made me decide to pick up archery again. And I am going to make my own longbow for that.

If you could ask Frommer or Cameron three movie or language related questions what would they be?
I would ask James Cameron if I could come over and help in the making of "Avatar 2". Would probably not happen, but the idea is cool.
From Paul Frommer I would love to know if he has any idea yet how far he will develop the Na'vi language.
And both of them I would like to ask: "Can we three have lunch someday?"

What else do you do in you free time?
I love reading and writing (scifi and fantasy). I do volunteer work for an international pagan organisation, fitness and make and listen to music. I play keyboard, accordeon, a bit of guitar, bodhran (an irish drum) and native american flute.

Name your top three favorite Earth animals from most favorite to least. Why those? What's the animal you're most terrified of?
1. Wolf. Good as a loner and as a social animal in the pack.
2. Cat. Cool and independent.
3. Dog. Faithful and always a good friend.

I am quite unfond of scorpions.

Pirate, ninja, zombie, or robot?
Get me a Na'vi body and put me on Pandora. That'll be all, James.

What three items would you take to a desert island and why?
1. My computer with a good connect so I can be with LearnNavi.org when I want.
2. My ereader, loaded with good books.
3. My flute/bodhran/accordeon.

If you could travel to anywhere in space and time (including fictional universes), where would you go and why?
You're kidding, right? Look at the reply 2 questions back. ;)

If you were granted one single wish what would it be?
Let everyone pull together and turn 'Rrta into Pandora. Without the mess the RDA left. For that I would very much want everyone to have instant tsaheylu with 'Rrta, so each person gets instant feedback about what he or she is doing to our world. And yes, this may hurt.

What is a question you'd ask yourself? How would you answer it?
Q. Are you crazy?
A. No. I'm the only normal one around.

True or false?
1. I have jumped out of a perfectly safe airplane while it was flying.
2. I've been to Albania.
3. I once knocked someone out of a tree by throwing a club at him.

What is the funniest, weirdest, or most embarrassing Na'vi or Avatar  related thing that has happened to you?
At work I kept saying 'irayo' when people brought me drinks. Laughter at first, but persistence paid off and someone asked me what would be a good thing to reply to 'irayo'. I told them: "ke pxan". And they still use that, while I try not to die laughing.

The other thing happened last Saturday, when I lent my satnav to a friend. And it was still set to Na'vi... He was more than just a little stumped at the directions he got...

Bonus question
Right. My answer to "What time of the year do you like best? Least? Why?"
I like late spring and early summer best. The nicest weather, warmth and light.
Take away autumn and winter with all the cold and dark and I shall be eternally grateful.

And my bonus question for the next NotW is:
"If you had an ikran, what would you name it?" And feel free to elaborate on why.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Dreamlight

Conga-rats on being chosen.

This one is a tough call but I'll say False, True, True.
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Nusumea Tirea

Congratulations ma tsmukan!  :D

I would say true, true, false.

Eyamsiyu

I will say Ngay/Tsleng/Ngay.

You play the bodhran? :o I've been learning that for my Global Rhythm Ensemble at college!  It's a fascinatingly simple instrument, but complex in tones... I always have the occasional problems with getting the right tonality when hitting the skin right on the edge. ;)

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Eanikran

Ekirä

Congrats ma Puvomun!! ;D

I'll go with false, true, true.

Puvomun

Kaltxì ma Eyamsiyu,
Quote from: Eyamsiyu te Atxkxeftukyal Mesuteteng'itan on November 22, 2010, 05:37:29 AM
You play the bodhran? :o I've been learning that for my Global Rhythm Ensemble at college!  It's a fascinatingly simple instrument, but complex in tones... I always have the occasional problems with getting the right tonality when hitting the skin right on the edge. ;)
Yes, I play the bodhran. I once made a short video of it to show some family far away (and make them hear it).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvb9R1INpBk
Mine is a Brendan White. Brendan lives in the Netherlands since about 14 years and makes them by hand. A really great guy.
And I agree... playing a Bodhran looks simple but isn't.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Irayo, ma smuk, for your words. :D

Quote from: Ikranari on November 22, 2010, 09:26:02 AM
Seykxel sì nitram ma tsmukan akoak!!!  :D
Have a very nice week  ;D
And pxasìk! I did forget to give you the bonus question  :( yeah, yeah, too late now  :-\
Well, I think I improvised nicely, ma 'ewana tsmukan!
Thank you, and have a great week yourself ;)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Hufwe Atxur

Congratulations! Guessing false,true,true.

Quote from: Puvomun on November 21, 2010, 11:06:16 PMAnd I am going to make my own longbow for that.
Good luck, going to try that too!
old gallery link?id=1630.jpg[/img]
NEW version of Seed of Language released! Click on the banner to find out more!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Txantsan, ma Puvomun. Seykxel sì nitram nang

A lot of interest in the bodhran here. I am familiar with the instrument, and have messed around with it a bit. I get a lot of exposure to this and other Celtic instruments because I have a good friend who is a full-blood Scotsman. (He has given me two kilts, both custom made, intended for different uses/occasions!) He plays the bodhran and other percussion instruments for various events and occasions. (And he is also a lionkeeper!) I am giving serious thought to learning to play the bagpipes, and he is encouraging me.

It is interesting (and good!) that we have some older folks here. I, myself am Puvolaw, and will be Puvomun in just a few weeks. (Will you change your name when you turn 51?)

Your N/T questions are very tough and interesting. I am going to guess N/N/T, but could be very wrong!

Enjoy your week!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Eana Tanhì

congrats ma Puvomun  ;D

i just love this question:
QuoteAnd both of them I would like to ask: "Can we three have lu

this is awesome  ;D
QuoteAt work I kept saying 'irayo' when people brought me drinks. Laughter at first, but persistence paid off and someone asked me what would be a good thing to reply to 'irayo'. I told them: "ke pxan". And they still use that, while I try not to die laughing.

and my guess is:
1. False
2. True
3. True
;)

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

Puvomun

Kaltxì ma `Eylan Ayfalulukanä!
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on November 22, 2010, 03:04:51 PM
It is interesting (and good!) that we have some older folks here. I, myself am Puvolaw, and will be Puvomun in just a few weeks. (Will you change your name when you turn 51?)
Nice to see that there are more older people here. I know there are several, which is good.
No, I'll keep my name. It is not so much a number to me now I have used it for so relatively long already (and it is a fun way to remain 'young' HRH!)

I am amazed how many people know about bodhrans here, really, as it is not such a well known instrument.

Good luck when you pick up the bagpipes, that must be a fascinating experience. I've never tried that myself.

I'm enjoying my week. I have this stupid grin on my face all day. ;)

Hayalovay!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Maria TunVrrtep

Congratulations ma Puvomun!

I just got a chance to check the site and here I see you've been chosen as NotW.  Cool!!!  I thought to myself, I go away for the weekend and miss the first couple of days!!! Argh!!

My guesses on the True and False ...
1. true
2.  true
3.  false

Just cause I think that.  LOL

ta TunVrrtep

"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

zineketaye

Seykxel sì nitram ma Puvomun!

Quote from: Puvomun
Nice to see that there are more older people here. I know there are several, which is good.
No, I'll keep my name. It is not so much a number to me now I have used it for so relatively long already (and it is a fun way to remain 'young' HRH!)

I agree with you in both points. It's nice that this forum has a good mix of all ages (as for me, I'm turning puvopey in a few days). And a forum-name may very well resist even logic when you are used to it. Your third point is nice also. But even just beeing part of this forum with such nice people certainly helps to stay "young" ;)

My guesses are:
   1. True. Aren't there championships on that?
   2. False. Seems not weird enough.
   3. True. May occur when you try to convince a tree of returning something he has caught ...

Eywa ngahu!
Projektprozente:
1 (aU): 5,0; 2: 0,0; 3: 26,3 (31,0; 26,3; 32,4)

Puvomun

Irayo ma Tunvrrtep,
Quote from: TunVrrtep on November 22, 2010, 11:04:45 PM
I just got a chance to check the site and here I see you've been chosen as NotW.  Cool!!!  I thought to myself, I go away for the weekend and miss the first couple of days!!! Argh!!
You didn't miss everything. I hope the weekend away was good for you!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Kaltxì ma Zineketaye!
Quote from: zineketaye on November 23, 2010, 04:07:24 AM
It's nice that this forum has a good mix of all ages (as for me, I'm turning puvopey in a few days). And a forum-name may very well resist even logic when you are used to it. Your third point is nice also. But even just beeing part of this forum with such nice people certainly helps to stay "young" ;)
I so agree with your last statement!! Being among the younger ones helps a lot to stay that way. :D

Ngopyu ayvurä.

'Oma Tirea

Seykxel sì nitram...

Guessing (and MOE is is tough...)

C/G/C

I have browsed other possibilities for this, though...

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Tirea Aean

Seykxel sì nitram ma oeyä 'eylan! ;D

Ngay Ngay Tsleng.

Plumps

Seykxel sì nitram!

NaNoWriMo – fascinating project ... have you already participated?
That sounds like a hardcore idea from Taronyu's One Month—One Language :
P

Puvomun

Quote from: Plumps on November 24, 2010, 09:27:36 AM
Seykxel sì nitram!
Irayo!

Quote from: Plumps on November 24, 2010, 09:27:36 AM
NaNoWriMo – fascinating project ... have you already participated?
That sounds like a hardcore idea from Taronyu's One Month—One Language :[/font][/size]P
This is the 4th year I am doing Nanowrimo. I love writing, so I am almost obliged to do it. ;)

Ngopyu ayvurä.