NotW #36 (non-octal): Sxkxawng

Started by 'Oma Tirea, December 20, 2010, 02:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Question #1
Who are you?

About half a year ago:
Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on June 06, 2010, 05:02:03 PM
Oe lu tupe?  A young foregoer who has been drawn in by the various aspects of Avatar in various ways, the Na'vi language being the most prominent.
Still hasn't changed, versatile yet simple as I may seem.  I lurk in the Learn Na'vi main forums as well as the spam sections XD

NB, some of these questions took some time to answer due to my indecision ::) :P

Quote from: Question #2
Why are you here?

Well I kinda spoiled that by posting here ::) but in short, I was struck by a love for the language, Googled it to see if it was real anywhere in the world (and we know all to well that it isn't ;)), and LN came up, and I soon became addicted :D

Quote from: Question #3
Where do your alias and profile pic come from?

One thing that remained common in all my username variations before I took a 1-month hiätus and returned out of missing this place is the name Sxkxawng.  When I returned from my hiätus, I got some flash of inspiration, and thus the name 'Oma Tirea was born.  Contrary to popular belief, this was NOT a play off of the name Tirea Aean, although it was notably interesting seeing the various scripts we put our names through ::) In the end, I decided I wanted to keep the "Sxkxawng" part of the name, but "te" didn't seem right to tie it together, so I used "alu" instead, which was a recent Na'vi word at the time.  I applied a similar process to my TS name as well.

Fko can only wonder why I have a name beginning with "sx", and there are numerous philosophies behind that, such as:
I was trying to develop a second Na'vi accent (and it is established itself quite well)
I wanted to show off my phonetic skills, or...
Maybe I was showing off my true "Skxawng"-ness with the typo ::) Somehow though, by broadcasting "the birdie" clear and publicly, Skxawng still wins at -karma.  by. and. far.

Quote from: Question #4
Srake tsun nga pivlltxe leNa'via lì'fya?

Srane, slä mi oe nerume.  Oe ke lu hasey mi, ulte oe perawm frakrr fìlì'fyateri, fmeri nivume nì'ul, na sulfätu leNa'via lì'fyayä.  Tsun oe pamrel sivi nìltsan sì pivlltxe nìltsan (to sulfätu leNa'via lì'fya, tì'efumì oeyä), slä ke tsun nìngay oe rivel fìkrr fìlì'fyat nìltsan :P Tìsung, zene oe ftivia aylì'uot aremaining, ulte tsat lun livatsu.  Lun a oe ke pamrel si fa leNa'via lì'fya lu loanwords, oeri hawnga loanwords sì leNa'via aylì'u ahìm ayufpi a oe pamrel si :P

Kop, oel plltxe fìlì'fyati nìketeng: krr a "k" slu "h" taluna lenition, oe plltxe [x] tup [h], ulte oe plltxe "sxpx, sxkx, tsxpx, tsxkx" tup "spx, skx, tspx, tskx" (alu, oel sar meporpamit alu "sx" sì "tsx"), ngian pamrel si oe frapona alahe.

Nì'i'a, oeyä keyey teri grammar lu nìtxin case markingsverb transitivity, ulte oe fmeri tslivam mesat nìltsan.  Fayu ke lu frato ftue mehapxì lì'fyayä leNa'vi.

Quote from: Question #5
What's you favorite Na'vi word? Did you incorporate it (or others) into your everyday vocab?

Without a doubt, prrkxentrrkrr is the coolest word around, irayo Skxawngur.  Better yet, I have created sentences for the various aspects of speaking Na'vi, and have recently memorized my entire 'RR sentence.
One word I made up (and it's in my sig): PllPXE.  It means SayWUT, and is a little piece of Na'vi HRRHPlltxe.  I also proposed "tìmun'i" as an alternative to "tìftang" in what is now just another one of my failthreads :P

Quote from: Question #6
In your opinion, what are the top three user-created content on the LN website?

Le'eylanä fìrezi fpi Sìkangkemvi NgayNume, because it's sooo easy to pick up concepts from that :D

Na'vi in a Nutshell (NiaN).  Name describes it: a quick tour through the essentials of the grammar, phonology, coined phrases, and other common aspects of the language.  After reading it, I was able to pick up at least half of what was said, and I could tell that this seemed like no normal language...

Taronyuä Dictionary and the LN vocab page that now runs off of it: your best reference resource for the language EVAR ;D

Quote from: Question #7
Have you made any contributions to the LN community that you're particularly proud of?

Amongst my several failthreads, I am at least grateful for some of the little things I do, such as suggesting updates for NiaN, the dictionary, or even corrections for pronounciation of Na'vi (and I can me quite nitpicky sometimes, as I am a plltxefya na'tsi ;)).  Somehow Sä'nek even appointed me as karyu in Project Neytiri :o

I also created the allophony thread, because Na'vi borrowings from English are sketchy still.  For example, "pxir" is said to be translated as "beer" although one could also translate it as "pier".  One of my wishes is that the thread would be given a little more attention so we can find the patterns of the spellings of Na'vi borrowings from English, and so that no one will be confused and will argue over what the word is when it comes to those types of words.  I can also only wonder if any of the
loanwords such as "pätsì" or "tsyänel" will get respelled to fit the current trend of allophony, so that they would be "pätsyì" and "tsyänll".  Best examples not in the dictionary I have seen so far that I have not had to correct are (')Epìkx, and (')Äpxll.  Among the roughly-written examples are the older loanwords, such as "Europa", "toktor", "kunsìp", "tawsìp", and worse of all, "Skxaypxe".  The first one is not an English loan, and I have decided to let it off the hook.  The second one is much a spelling pronounciation (à là Kìreyse), the third and fourth are probably better respelled as "kansyìp" and "tawsyìp", and the last one is a bad butchering of the spelling pronounciation of "Skype".  I thought that last one would sound (and look) better as "Skayp".  Sometimes I do not understand Frommer's patterns of choosing these words, which is why I want to see if one can be established, to say the least!  The link is in the last line of my sig.

Finally, I have created the concept of Nav'Ìnglìsì, which is essentially Na'vi with an English twang to it.

Oh, and I should mention that rumor has it around here that I am the record-holder for most consecutive posts in this thread ;D

Quote from: Question #8
What is it that you liked/hated the most about Avatar?

I have come to love AVATAR as a whole ever since the beginning since I saw it in 3-D.  I will never for get those ayäie I had during that time that I saw it in theaters and the time that the DVD was first released.  Moreover, it reinforced some of the strong values that I had circulating around me at the time, and it still does that.

Quote from: Question #9
Has Avatar changed your life in any way?

Quote from: Karyu PawlOeri Uniltìrantokxìl tìreyti leykivateiem nìtxan :)

...ulte oeri tut nìteng :)

AVATAR has ignited my extremely dim interest in linguistics that I hardly knew, and it is fully flaring now ;D

It all started with the one simple question of "does this language really exist somewhere on Earth?  Is it merely another name for an existing language?"  Sure enough, I found out it wasn't a natural language, but it was quite realistic that it could easily be mistaken for one :D

Quote from: Question #10
If you could ask Frommer or Cameron three movie or language related questions what would they be?

For KP and JC: Why didn't you decide to create a few Na'vi accents during the making of movie?  Why was it up to the actors to establish the Na'vi accent used in the movie?
For KP: How would you explain the Na'vi language masters' (including you!) mispronounciation of the phonology rules that you set forth?
For KP: How come "ing" never occurs in Na'vi, yet "ìng" occurs all the time (e.g. tìng, tsìng, kìng, lìng, txìng, na'rìng)?  English influence?  And will there ever be a word with that combination?

Quote from: Question #11
What else do you do in you free time?

To the surprise of fko: I play bridge, which IMHO is a game that has a bad ageist impression, and I am an ACBL member, going for the goal....

People have often asked me how I got interested in bridge, and it is a long(-ish) story.  Now I could likely be receiving questions on how I can have such a strange dual interest ::)
What I could answer with: Pìrìtsyì lu yawne oeru taluna slu hapxì tuteyä alu oe.  Oe lu tute alu oe.

Quote from: Question #12
Name your top three favorite Earth animals from most favorite to least. Why those? What's the animal you're most terrified of?

To be honest (and I'm probably the first NotW to say this), I don't really have a favorite 'Rrtan animal, as I respect all 'Rrtan life equally (almost anyway), even people can fall into this category.

However, what terrifies me the most for animals is just about anything that bites, stings, poisons, or otherwise harms, and bugs especially creep me out....

Quote from: Question #13
Pirate, ninja, zombie, or robot?

Ke'aw ;)  Na'vi with a tsaheylu has meant everything to me ever since the beginning of seeing the movie.

Quote from: Question #14
What three items would you take to a desert island and why?

Eltu lefngap with a decent internet access, 'cause LN is too addicting ;D 8)
Ayu tìruseyfpi (does this one really need explanation?)
Eylan leLN oeyä if the island is large enough...

Quote from: Question #15
If you could travel to anywhere in space and time (including fictional universes), where would you go and why?

A techno-indigenous Pandora, where technology is in harmony with nature.  Maybe the Na'vi could eventually have that, and be able to tsaheyl si with ayeltu lefngap ;D

Quote from: Question #16
If you were granted one single wish what would it be?

This may seem a bit like cheating, but more wishes, including one to cure my indecision to answer questions like this :P

Quote from: Question #17
What is a question you'd ask yourself? How would you answer it?

What were you thinking?
I was thinking?...

Quote from: Question #18
True or false?

I taught myself the IPA, and insist on its precise and correct usage when in brackets, which sometimes doesn't happen, especially for English :P
I was ready for calculus in 9th grade, but didn't take it until 12th grade.
I have perfect pitch, which has been responsible for my interest in music.

Quote from: Question #19
My Life is AVTR

Yet to happen :P, and when it does, it will be mentioned somewhere in these forums :D

Quote from: Question #20
If you woke up one day and discovered you were in an avatar body, and on Pandora, what would you do? Who or what would you want to see and/or do first?

Guess the answer to the last question came later than I thought :P

TSe...

If I were to get into that link unit, and not know where my Avatar is at, I would be comfortable just about anywhere.  However, where I would find the most comfort is waking up in the hammock of Kelutral, and especially at a time there are no more kawnga sawtute.  It would also show that I'm in with the Omatikaya clan.  Very comforting to me :D Oe 'ivefu lefpom nìtxan ;D

Waking up with oeyä muntxatu in the na'rìngtsyìp of ayUtral Aymokriyä would be nice as well.

Quote from: Next bonus question fpi haya NotWSrake muvea lì'fya ngeyä lu leNa'vi?  Oeyktivìng.

Fìzìsìt lamu txantsan nìtxan.  Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

kewnya txamew'itan

1. Ngay, certainly to the second half, the only bit I even have a shadow of a doubt about is the teaching yourself it.

2. Well, you certainly know some calculus so it wouldn't surprise me, ngay.

3. Too boring. It's plausible, but one of them has to be false (and, what I know about perfect pitch seems to indicate that it's more usually the other way round with an interest in music leading to perfect pitch).
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

MIPP

;D Indeed, I guess I (maybe we) can say that Na'vi has become our second language! Ok, to me it is the third as my second language is English (and without the English language I couldn't learn Na'vi, so it's a good thing :p).

I advice you to choose all the wishes you can ask... alu... one million! However, be careful... geniuses are sneaky! If you ask to be able to fly they transform you into a bird! Who wants to be a bird?! Well... at least there's a good thing: ask him to be blue, maybe he transforms you into an AVATAR or better: a Na'vi!

P.s. I just noticed you're my mate on the Project Neytiri  ;D

Edit:

I taught myself the IPA, and insist on its precise and correct usage when in brackets, which sometimes doesn't happen, especially for English - True.
I was ready for calculus in 9th grade, but didn't take it until 12th grade. Ok, as a non-native English speaker... what does it mean?  ;D Well... I'll say... false.
I have perfect pitch, which has been responsible for my interest in music. True.
Na'vi for beginners | Dict-Na'vi.com

Hufwe lìng io pay, nìfnu slä nìlaw.
Loveless, Act IV.

Ekirä

WOOT congrats! I love Bridge too. Better than Whist by a long shot. ::)

I'll guess Ngay, Ngay, Tsleng.

Dreamlight

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on December 20, 2010, 02:18:01 AM
Quote from: Question #15
If you could travel to anywhere in space and time (including fictional universes), where would you go and why?

A techno-indigenous Pandora, where technology is in harmony with nature.  Maybe the Na'vi could eventually have that, and be able to tsaheyl si with ayeltu lefngap ;D

That would be extremely cool.  :D

True, false, true.
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Toruk Makto

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Seykxel sì nitram, ma sxkxawng nang

Sounds like you have an interesting background. But one think I think a lot of us here do have in common is the kindling of a latent interest in linguistics. I never knew learning a language could be this much fun! And with a lot of weirdness happening right now (this morning, my truck broke down and will need to be towed to a shop, and I learned I am losing a rather well-paying side job.), working on learning Na`vi is a very pleasant diversion.

As to your N/T questions, those are interesting questions:

1. N - You have talked a lot about this, so it is hard to imagine it not being ngay.
2. T - I just think so.
3. T - Nothing in your other background touches on music, so I am guessing this is not true.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

'Oma Tirea

Irayo seieiyi ayngaru nìtxan ;D

Quote from: Ekirä on December 20, 2010, 11:55:15 AM
I love Bridge too. Better than Whist by a long shot. ::)

Sran, and I got second in a local club game today WŒŒŒT ;D

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Ekirä

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on December 20, 2010, 11:27:54 PM
Irayo seieiyi ayngaru nìtxan ;D

Quote from: Ekirä on December 20, 2010, 11:55:15 AM
I love Bridge too. Better than Whist by a long shot. ::)

Sran, and I got second in a local club game today WŒŒŒT ;D

Awesome!! Truthfully, I'm not thaaaat great at it, but it's still fun. ::) But hey, I only learned a month ago and as only my sister agrees to play with me it gets difficult. ;)

'Oma Tirea

*looks around*

TSe... ½ a week and only 8 replies.  Apparently I'm going to be the lonliest NotW :(

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Eyawng te Klltepayu

Nooo... I'm enjoying this thread!  ;)
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Eyawng te Klltepayu on December 22, 2010, 10:30:07 PM
Nooo... I'm enjoying this thread!  ;)

Well there's only ½ a week left to enjoy it...

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Ekirä

Dreamlight

http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I'll post just to bump your post count.  :o  I enjoy your contributions to LearnNavi!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 23, 2010, 04:25:04 PM
I enjoy your contributions to LearnNavi!

Irayo nìtxan (nìmun :P)

Oh, and I should add...

Quote from: Payoang on October 27, 2010, 04:04:59 AM
You do notice everything!

Ngay nìtxan :D ::)

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Eana Tanhì

congrats ma Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea  ;D

my guess is:
N/N/T

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

Lisa

Seykxel sì nitram, ma Sxkxawng!

I'll guess Ngay/Ngay/Tsleng on the questions.  The first seems obviously true, but the other two.... not sure at all, as both true and false seem equally plausible.    :-\

QuoteHowever, what terrifies me the most for animals is just about anything that bites, stings, poisons, or otherwise harms, and bugs especially creep me out....

You might have to overcome this feeling if you were to live on Pandora.... that describes most of the fauna and even some of the flora.  ;D

Congrats again! 
Oeru syaw "Tirea Ikran" kop slä frakrrmi layu oe "Grammar Skxawng"   :)

MIPP

It's Christmas and I'm posting here  ::) Ok then, looks like you aren't the loneliest NotW  ;D You moved me to post here so that is a great thing  :D
Na'vi for beginners | Dict-Na'vi.com

Hufwe lìng io pay, nìfnu slä nìlaw.
Loveless, Act IV.

Yayo

You must feel privelaged to be NOTW over Christmas, should you not? You have earnt this during the leadup to Christmas! Celebrate!

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95