NotW #4: Coyote

Started by Coyote, May 10, 2010, 12:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowMainZERO

Another question: First person or third?

I was typing chapter four of my story after reading book four of Percy Jackson and the Olympians and found that I couldn't write in third person very well. So now I'm trying to debate with myself if I should stick to third or change every non-major fight scene into first person.

Come join the adventure in Strange Lands: A Pandoran RP!

The ultimate power is found in the incorruptible light hidden deep in the darkness. You must delve into the darkest part of your heart and find that light. Once you do, never let go of it. Remember: Your heart is the greatest weapon of all.

tsrräfkxätu

Quote from: Coyote on May 13, 2010, 04:01:25 PM
Sekmet becomes Sek'Mut; Nephthys becomes Nef'Tys [...]

...both of which are phonotactically invalid. :P (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
párolt zöldség — muntxa fkxen  

Coyote

Quote from: ShadowMainZERO on May 13, 2010, 04:37:14 PM
Another question: First person or third?

I was typing chapter four of my story after reading book four of Percy Jackson and the Olympians and found that I couldn't write in third person very well. So now I'm trying to debate with myself if I should stick to third or change every non-major fight scene into first person.

Both are excellent, for different reasons. First Person allows you to really go in-depth into the characters inner thoughts and motivations, something that is awkward in 3rd-person narrative. I do 1st-person really well, but I've only used it a couple of times.

I favor large, ensemble casts, though, with lots of competing interests and group conflits, and having characters making decisions and basing actions on their interpretations of what someone else said... so internal dialogue becomes difficult to pull off in an environment such as that. I therefore typically use 3rd person. But neither is "better" than the other, except maybe "better for what you want in that story".

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Coyote

Quote from: tsrräfkxätu on May 13, 2010, 04:41:19 PM

Oh, I know. They're just fun.

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.

Tanhìyärina'

Quote from: tsrräfkxätu on May 13, 2010, 04:41:19 PM

Srane, that bothers me a lot too.  ;)

I use parts of generic prescription names for characters in standard fantasy settings.  Alendronate (for osteoporosis) becomes Alendra, oseltamivir (an antiviral) turns into Oselta, zalcitabine (an AIDS drug) becomes Zalcita.  Or you can take the middle part: Inavi from saquinavir (protease inhibitor).

My Storm Over Pandora character's real name, Tseylian, was inspired by Sedna of Inuit mythology.
Fitseng lu oe, tìftia kìfkeyä seri.

Coyote

Quote from: Rolyu on May 13, 2010, 11:53:06 AM
Wow, I'm away for a few days and Coyote has become the Na'vi of the week.  Congrats!  :)  It's nice to hear from you again, though I think we only talked in the pacific northwest meetup thread.
Thank you, and yes, we need to do another of those, maybe later this summer. I might actually be able to participate in one... finally.  :-\ Although it'll probably be "someone's house" and "Avatar Blu-Ray" instead of the theatre experience.

QuoteI am also guessing T/T/F, cause that's what my gut instinct tells me to do.
Well... I have a day or two before the big reveal. But I will remind people of this: the best fibs are the ones grounded in truth.  :o Oohh, now that alters dynamics a but.

QuoteI am now thinking the role play sections would be a good place to pick up more Na'vi...
It has helped a lot pf people, although my own Na'vi language skills have only improved marginally (as in, the only reason I've learned & retained any at all is because of that). But I think that's because my main focus has been herding the plotline along.

QuoteSpeaking of coyotes and their survival abilities.... are you familiar with the interurban trail?  It runs through industrial districts and connects Tukwila and Kent.  Anyway, I wasn't expecting this, but one night as I was longboarding to Kent from work (in Tukwila, fancy that) I saw three coyotes.  I heard more of them but the rest never popped out of the bushes.  It's fascinating though, because they are about half the size of the Coyotes in Eastern Washington, which look like small wolves.  I thought these guys were foxes at first till I got a closer look.
I've heard of the interurban trail, IIRC it is a interconnected series of greenbelt-style trails that trace through cities, based on old train tracks that were not being used-- so they got torn up and replaced with hiking trails. I love interurban trails like that; it is an excellent use of space and macro-level recycling. Those trails loop through all sorts of space and the bridges were already built... and from what I understand, the railbeds are still largely intact, so if trains made a comeback those could be rebuilt. A shame to lose a trail, but I won't begrudge a nice, efficient train.

Here in Boise we have the rail lines left over from Union Pacific's days in the Western sun; now they are taken over by a local line called Idaho Northern & Pacific. But the rail lines are interesting-- for 20 feet on either side, no development of any sort has been done-- it's as if the desert has been allowed to cut a swath through the city and left untouched. The rail lines have become nighttime highways for coyotes and other desert wildlife cutting through cities on their way to wherever it is they go.

I had a dog who was part Samoyed/part Coyote. She was a great dog, beautiful and smart. I think she barked six times the years I had her. My then-girlfriend and I got her together in 1992, she was already 2 years old at the time. She lived to a ripe old age before finally succumbing to the years, sometime back in '06. I miss that dog terribly.

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

Coyote

Well, my time here draws to a close-- midnight "Zulu time" is about 7+ hours ahead of me, so that means about 5pm my time out here in the Rocky Mountains.

In a little bit I'll reveal my truths & falsehoods and let me nominee know that... he? She? ...has been picked.

This has been fun, and again thanks to Tanhiyarina for choosing me. I enjoy interacting with folks here and I'm always available if anyone has any questions to ask about... well, anything I know the answers to. Military stuff, writing, time spent living in the Middle East, what Iraq was like, etc.

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

Niwantaw

Quote from: Coyote on May 16, 2010, 10:07:51 AM
In a little bit I'll reveal my truths & falsehoods and let me nominee know that... he? She? It? ...has been picked.
you never know..... it might be an alien :D
Only mostly AWOL.

Coyote

Very good point. As long as they stay away from Arizona, eh? [/rimshot]

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

Coyote

Well, I made my selection but --and here's a hint-- I don't think she's checked her messages yet.

[EDIT:] And to reveal-- my truths and falsehoods were as follows:

#1: True. I did write, illustrate and publish in a fanzine a running series. All small press stuff, run on copiers, but made some nice pocket change.

#2: True. Casting Director, briefly, for the Colorado Springs Rocky Horror troupe in my last year of active duty at Ft. Carson, Colorado.

#3: False. But years ago I knew a female friend who was intrigued at the thought of a milk bath and did use powdered milk in her home bathtub only to be underwhelmed by the experience.

This has been an awesome week and if my pick doesn't show up soon I'll choose an alternate. Thanks all for your participation!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8: