NotW #57 Kayrìlien

Started by Kayrìlien, May 24, 2011, 07:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayrìlien

First of all, sorry I'm late, guys. I had a ridiculously busy weekend. You can blame my professors; I had to turn in a 70-page report on Monday morning for my concrete design lab, then take a Thermodynamics midterm later in the day. Basically, all I did this weekend was work and study, then all I did Monday night was sleep. So...I'm doing this on Tuesday. My bad.

Anyway...let's get this road on the show.

Quote from: Question #1Who are you?

Who am I? Who am I? I am the guardian of lost souls! I am the powerful, the pleasurable, the indestructible Kayrìlien! (karma cookie to the first person that gets the reference) A lot of you guys probably know me; I've been around for a while, though not nearly as much recently as I'd like to be. Oe tsun pivlltxe nì'Ìnglìsì, nìEspanyol, sì nìNa'vi, slä kawkrr ke lu oeru krr lehawng a tsun ftivia nì'ul. Which is a damn shame, because I really do love the language, this community, and the people in it.

As far as personal info goes, I'm a 23-year-old structural engineering student from San Diego, California. I've been successfully toeing the line between "nerd" and "hippie" for some time now, and it works well for me. It's probably why Avatar was such a no-brainer film for me to fall in love with. Otherwise, I like Cherry Coke, Calvin and Hobbes, Brett Favre, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, playing the khaen, and nine-foot-tall blue women with longbows and neuro-connective ponytails.

Quote from: Question #2Why are you here?

To be honest, I was initially rather indifferent towards Avatar. During the 2009 Christmas shopping season, we were being completely inundated by commercials and advertisements for the movie that I basically felt annoyed by the movie's ubiquity. By the third week of January, however, I really felt like, you know, actually going to see a movie in the theaters, and Avatar was easily the best choice. So I went, and it was awesome. Understatement, I know...there was a comic strip featured on here about 15 months ago that was more accurate that involved eyes orgasming.

I really didn't think much about the language in and of itself, but I was just looking around on the internet for more information about the film, and this was one of the first websites I saw. To put it in internet terms, at first I was like  ???, then I was like  8). And now I'm better at speaking Na'vi than I am at Spanish. Sorry, Señora Beltran. You just weren't 3D enough for me. (Though your stories about Mary and Juana in class were hilarious, seeing as you didn't even get your own inadvertent joke.)

Quote from: Question #3Where do your alias and profile pic come from?

I'm pretty sure the profile picture is still Neytiri; I haven't changed it in over a year, but I like it, so why bother.

Kayrìlien is a Na'vi transliteration of (G. S.) Kyrillion, the generic go-to name I use whenever I have to use a fake name for something like signing up for email lists I don't really want to but am forced to receive. It's been around for a while now; I don't recall exactly where I saw the name in the first place, but it's served me well. Same email address for 9 years, still less than 2 spam emails/month.

Quote from: Question #4Srak nga tsun nìna'vi pivlltxe?

Not nearly as often as I'd like and not nearly as conversationally as I'd like either. I'm really good at writing in Na'vi, because I have the time to think about everything that's being said and whether or not it's grammatically correct, but, due to lack of practice, I don't consider myself to be a good speaker. I have a firm grasp of the pronunciation, grammar, and dictionary, but in a very pedantic sort of way. I need to work on speaking more idiomatically and naturally rather than trying to derive sentences in my head as I'm trying to say them.

As far as learning the language goes, it really didn't take that long. To all of you guys out there that are thinking that you'll never be able to get good with the language, it really is easier than you think. It's just like anything; the more you practice, the better you are, and as soon as you fall out of practice (like myself), you slowly lose what you've learned.

Quote from: Question #5What's you favorite Na'vi word? Did you incorporate it (or others) into your everyday vocab?

My favorite Na'vi word is txäremsiyu. If you don't know what it means, break it up into parts and derive the meaning. And yes, even though it's most assuredly not canon (nor should it be), I have incorporated it into my everyday vocabulary. And I do mean everyday. It's a wonderful alternative to skxawng as an epithet for the idiots around you.  :)

Quote from: Question #6In your opinion, what are the top three user-created content on the LN website?

Top three? That's absurd; there is such a great wealth of information on this website that I would feel terrible if I had to pick three and leave out something truly important.

Quote from: Question #7Have you made any contributions to the LN community that you're particularly proud of?

I have also been a Na'vi language teacher since around April 2010. I was the original West Coast USA karyu for Project NgayNume, and now Txonä Rolyu and I teach that class together (whenever it meets nowadays, which is unfortunately infrequently). I've created sixteen Na'vi language Prezis for people to learn from.

I've also contributed to Kaltxì Palulukan's activity books, both the original and the updated versions, I was a writer for the original Radio Avatar podcasts (notably, the Two and a Half Na'vi skit was mine), I created a Na'vi-language Scrabble tile assortment (which led to a fully-functional yet underutilized game), and I'm currently beginning a five-month term on the LEP new words committee.

Probably some other things too, but those are the most noteworthy. Basically, I've done a lot, but the vast majority of things were a while ago.

Quote from: Question #8What is it that you liked/hated the most about Avatar ?

Liked the most? What I liked the most is that a movie that I expected to be so lackluster, aside from its special effects, turned out to be one of the best movies I'm ever seen. The best part of the movie is NOT the special effects, NOT the intricate and original plot (sarcasm), and NOT the over-the-top grandiloquence of James Cameron. It is, without a doubt, that I truly cared for the characters in the film. A movie that can make me feel empathy for computer-generated blue aliens? Especially heart-wrenching scenes such as Jake revealing to the Omatikaya that he has known all along that they would eventually be forced to leave Hometree and Neytiri shouts Kawkrr ke slayu nga Na'viyä hapxì!" - That just about does me in every time. And "EYWA HAS HEARD YOU!". Same thing. Waterworks every time.

Hated the most? The terrible anachronistic throwaway dialogue. If people are making cheap references to The Wizard of Oz and token pandering to flight attendants in 140 years, count me out.

As far as "Avatard" goes, I am planning on driving 1200 miles in 6 weeks to go to the Seattle meetup with a bunch of people I only know from the Internet. I'd say that qualifies.  ;D

Quote from: Question #9Has Avatar  changed your life in any way?

Changed my life? Probably. I don't know how visibly; I mean, I already was environmentally conscious to the most practical extent possible. I live in a two-story three-bedroom condominium and have to drive 70 miles each day to get to and from campus, so I'm not exactly Captain Planet, but I always have been aware of the adverse effects of overconsumption and capitalistic zealotry. Avatar is simply an incredibly well done three hour special about exactly that. Being aware of the consequences of your actions. Taking responsibility for yourself and for others. And, most importantly, not being a stupid dildo like Colonel Quaritch or a money-hungry chode like Parker Selfridge.

Quote from: Question #10If you could ask Frommer or Cameron three movie or language related questions what would they be?

This is a hard one. I'd have to think more about it, and once I do, I'll post these questions in the thread later.

Quote from: Question #11What else do you do in you free time?

Stereotypical as it sounds, I really do love taking long drives in the countryside just for the sake of sightseeing. (Coastal) Central California is a perfect location for it, too. I also enjoy playing and writing music, though I don't do as much of that as I'd like either. I used to waste a LOT of time playing computer games, but I just don't have the time anymore.

Quote from: Question #12Name your top three favorite Earth animals from most favorite to least. Why those? What's the animal you're most terrified of?

Three animals? Hmm, that's a tough one. I love big cats, though it'd be hard to narrow down which one is my favorite. I'm also partial to Bateleur and Philippine eagles.

I can't say that there are any animals that terrify me. Would it be too bleeding-heart for me to say Man? Probably, but it's the closest thing to it.

Quote from: Question #13Pirate, ninja, zombie, or robot?

Superpowers? Eeesh; I'm so sick and tired of the oversaturation of superhero movies over the last 10 years (which is probably why I was so indifferent to Avatar when I first heard of it; it looked like any action/fantasy movie). I guess if I had to be predictable, flying would be cool, as would shapeshifting, but what I'd really love to be able to do is have infinite capacity for creativity. I love creating things. Music, art, whatever...I'm not even particularly "good" at any of them, but I do love the creative process. Come live in MY world. It's nice there; we have ice-cold Cheerwine on tap.  :D

Quote from: Question #14What three items would you take to a desert island and why?

Books/movies/music would get boring after a while, but having, say, the Internet at my disposal would ruin the whole premise of the hypothetical situation. So, I guess I'll say some sort of musical instrument that I'd be able to make music myself with. Ooh, or musicians that I could order around. "Zazu! Sing me a song!" "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts..."

Actually, I might just choose Amy Adams. ;D ;D ;D The other two things would be unimportant. Unless I could teach her how to speak Na'vi! ZOMG. Okay, that's it. Amy Adams, a copy of the dictionary, and...I dunno, a Samoyed puppy. So cute!!!

Quote from: Question #15If you could travel to anywhere in space and time (including fictional universes), where would you go and why?

There was an XKCD comic a few months back that made a joke somewhat along these lines. Someone noticed a Three Wolf Moon shirt in a pile of laundry, and told its owner "Dude, is this a Three Wolf Moon shirt? 2009 called and they want their shirt back." The guy replies "DID YOU WARN THEM ABOUT HAITI AND JAPAN!?!?!" That might be the logical thing to do; prevent some sort of terrible disaster from happening.

But if I'm being strictly selfish, then the answer is probably pretty obvious. This is, of course, the Learn NA'VI forum, so I'll stick with "Pandora, present day", or perhaps 50 years ago so there's no chance whatsoever of their being humans mucking up the place. Of course, this only works if I also get to be a Na'vi; otherwise the whole atmosphere thing would sort of suck, lulz.

Quote from: Question #16If you were granted one single wish what would it be?

One single wish? Depending on how awesome this one-third-of-a-genie is, I'd go with "I'd like the ability to create my own worlds; every aspect of them, including myself, would be fully customizable." Think about how awesome that would be. You could even take a bunch of things that you like and smush them all together. (Think Firefly: Cowboys AND Star Trek? You know there were nerdgasms in the creative office that day.) The possibilities would quite literally be endless.

Quote from: Question #17What is a question you'd ask yourself? How would you answer it?

Question: Why is an ikran like a writing desk?
Answer: Let's let you guys come up with answers for this one...

Quote from: Question #18True or false?

Extravagant? Well, as much as I'd love to tell you all about my adventures in a hot air balloon with the Jonas Brothers and an army of rabid half-goat half-man ninja warriors hellbent on world domination, I think I'll stick with something less frightening.

A) I have met and keep up a personal correspondence with former US president Jimmy Carter.

B) I have met and keep up a personal correspondence with former Polish president Lech Wałęsa.

C) I have met and keep up a personal correspondence with former NFL quarterback Brett Favre.

Quote from: Question #19: My Life is AVTRWhat is the funniest, weirdest, or most embarrassing Na'vi or Avatar  related thing that has happened to you?

I can't think of anything that's "happened" to me that's particularly MLIA in nature, but I'd say that convincing the vast majority of my friends to use skxawng and txäremsiyu as their go-to insults for people is definitely a win.

Quote from: Question #20: Bonus Question...

Question from Txonä Rolyu: "What were your first thoughts after seeing Avatar? (Or was your mind too blown to think lol)"

I'd say "mindblown" is a pretty accurate description. Like I said above, I didn't exactly have high expectations about the film going in, so when they were exceeded by lengths I didn't think possible, I was, quite literally, speechless. I might have made some pithy comments about the "I See You" song being obnoxious, but in all seriousness, "mindblown" really is the correct word.

---------------------------------------------------------

Sorry again for being late with the post, guys. I wanted to actually write one of these in Na'vi, but college is being its normal uncooperative b**** self. If you've got any questions for me, ask away.

Irayo nìtxan, ulte sìlpey oe tsnì ayngahu ultxa sivi ro Siätll ye'rìn,

ta ngeyä 'eylan tsmukansì,

Kayrìlien

kayrilien at yahoo dot com

Tirea Aean

Better late than never, Kay. grats, good sir.

Alyara Arati

Reference: introduction of Mushu from Mulan.
Congrats!
Questions: t/f/t (I'm really bad at this).
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tirea Aean

My favorite Na'vi word is txäremsiyu.

HAHAHAHAHAH!!! you wood.

Taking responsibility for yourself and for others. And, most importantly, not being a stupid dildo like Colonel Quaritch or a money-hungry chode like Parker Selfridge.

this made me LOL extremely hard. Why is my mind so corrupt??

and I can't even begin to think about what kind of ummm... interesting answer(s) there might be as to how an ikran is like a writing desk...

EDIT: FFT

Nyx

Seykxel sì nìtram ma Kayrìlien ^^

I gotta admit that "txäremsiyu" still cracks me up xD

Quote from: Kayrìlien on May 24, 2011, 07:22:13 PM
Question: Why is an ikran like a writing desk?
Answer: I haven't the slightest idea

@Alyara: MUSH...you had to beat me to it, didn't you? :P

'Itan Atxur

Congrats!

I'm gonna go TTF

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Nyx on May 24, 2011, 07:51:59 PM
@Alyara: MUSH...you had to beat me to it, didn't you? :P
Sorry.  Mulan is probably my favorite Disney movie!
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Kayrìlien

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 24, 2011, 07:49:57 PM
My favorite Na'vi word is txäremsiyu.

HAHAHAHAHAH!!! you wood.

Pun intended?  ;)

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。

Tirea Aean

Swoka Ikran

2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

'Oma Tirea

Seykxel sì nitram, ma Kayr ;D

I have to admire you as a great KS at PNgN 8)

Kop: T/T/N

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Well THERE you are ma tsmukan lehawngkrr! Hrhrh nah just givin ya crap.

Your post is so much cooler than mine*...it's actually funny! I lol'd so many times! Especially at
Quote from: KayrìlienAnd, most importantly, not being a stupid dildo like Colonel Quaritch or a money-hungry chode like Parker Selfridge.

Quote from: KayrìlienMy favorite Na'vi word is txäremsiyu

NO surprise there LOL.

Quote from: KayrìlienI am planning on driving 1200 miles in 6 weeks to go to the Seattle meetup with a bunch of people I only know from the Internet.

Furia ngahu ultxa si ke tsun pivey!

Quote from: KayrìlienQuestion: Why is an ikran like a writing desk?

Uhmmm.....their wings can be used as a desk? Pshhh I have no idea lawlz.

Ugh, I just realized my bonus question is almost a repeat of one of the questions asked here. Blarg. I seriously couldn't think of anything else...that's the first thing that popped into my head.

Yeah, I think I made a good choice :) I mean, you've actually DONE stuff unlike me who just kinda lurks and makes a random post here and there. I really need to get off my txìm and do....something. It's just too bad that school takes up like all of our time. (I see a Y U NO meme in the near future). Anyways, great post enjoy the rest of the week :) Oh and uhhhhh....mmmmm....Ts/Ts/N....I guess. Those are....interesting N/Ts questions there lol.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Eyawng te Klltepayu

Seykxel sì nìtram!  8) Another person I assumed had already been NotW!

Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

akiwiguy

Seykxel sì nìtram, ma oeyä 'eylan!
N/T/N

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Congratulations to you, ma Kayrìlien! :D

Hmm, even though I have no clue I think I'm gonna guess the following: False / True / True.

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on May 25, 2011, 02:17:40 AM

Quote from: KayrìlienQuestion: Why is an ikran like a writing desk?

Uhmmm.....their wings can be used as a desk? Pshhh I have no idea lawlz.

hrh Now that's very funny and txantsan! ;D

Alyara Arati

QuoteQuestion: Why is an ikran like a writing desk?

Because both must choose you or you'll be very uncomfortable?  Lame answer, but I tried.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tirea Aean

QuoteQuestion: Why is an ikran like a writing desk?

"Have you guessed the riddle yet?"
"No, I give it up. What's the answer?"
"I haven't the slightest idea,"
"Nor I,"
"I think you might do something better with the time than wasting it in asking riddles that have no answers."

nice one Kay.

EDIT: oel snìmaytx uvanit.

Toruk Makto

Your post may be late, but it's the best read of the day. :)

Ts/N/N.

Why is an ikran like a writing desk? They both screech when you try to drag them!

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

Seykxel sì nitram!

Questions: Ts/Ng/Ts

With the ikran?
You feel better when you sit on them rather than in front of them.