Community Projects > Navify the web

KDE nìNa'vi (a small part, at least...)

(1/8) > >>

Wllìm:
Well, quite some months ago, in January or so, I had the crazy idea that it would be nice if my computer would have its interface in Na'vi :) I use KDE, so I tried to figure out how language support works there. After a lot of messing around with system files, and a lot of translating, I now have Dolphin, KDE's file manager, almost ready. (I also have a small start for Kate, KMail and Lokalize, but that is not that much yet.)

Obviously, there are probably a lot of errors in it, and I needed to be very, ìììì... "creative" on how to say a lot of computer terms. I tried not to loan words from English, but instead use an existing Na'vi word that seemed a bit related to the "computer meaning", for example tseng = "folder", rìk = "tab", ropx = "window". Of course, none of this should be taken seriously in any way ::)

Spoiler: Screenshot
(Those English things unter "Ayeltutsyìp" are partition names; I can't change them to Na'vi... Furthermore, there are some small things still untranslated, because I can't find them in the translation files, or I can't think of a Na'vi word to describe it.)
If you use KDE as well, you can try it. (Sorry, this won't work in other desktops like GNOME, or Windows :( )
Download the current version

See the spoiler below for instructions on how to install and enable this.

Spoiler: Installation instructions
* Getting the files
Download the archive using the link above and unpack it somewhere.

* Installing the translation
Copy the folder x-navi to /usr/share/locale, so you get the folder /usr/share/locale/x-navi, that contains three subfolders LC_MESSAGES, LC_SCRIPTS and LC_TIME, and a file entry.desktop.

* Teaching KDE about the translation (optional)
(If you don't do this, this is not a disaster, but the name "Na'vi" will not appear in the System Settings. Instead, an "empty" choice will be there, which also works.)
First of all, a small warning: you need to change a system file doing this. Make sure you make a backup of the old file, so you can put it back if it goes wrong in some way. If you are not comfortable doing this, please don't; I will try to figure out an easier way in the future ;)
Open /usr/share/locale/all_languages, and append the following to the end of this file:
[x-navi]
Name=Na'vi
Name[en_GB]=Na'vi
Name[x-navi]=Lì'fya leNa'vi

* The MIME database (optional)
(If you don't do this, the file types in Dolphin will not be shown in Na'vi.)
Again, you need to overwrite a system file doing this. Again, make sure you make a backup :)
Overwrite /usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml by the file freedesktop.org.xml from the archive downloaded in the first step. Then run (as root) the following command: update-mime-database /usr/share/mime.

* Enabling the new translation
Go to System Settings, choose Locale and go to the Languages tab. Now, put Na'vi as the first item in the right column. (Below it, you can put your preferred fallback language, for example English.) Then press Apply, and as the dialog indicates, logout and login again. Now Dolphin should be in Na'vi :)

Spoiler: Removal instructionsIf you want to remove this again, just follow the installation steps in reverse order. That is: first pick another system language in the System Settings, put back your backup of the MIME database (if you did that) and run update-mime-database /usr/share/mime again, remove the added lines in the all_languages file (if you did that), and finally remove /usr/share/locale/x-navi.

Tìtstewan:
Txantsan! Unfortunately, I don't use Ubuntu...

For the Hard Drive, I used somewhere:
säomumä henayu
information carrier

I should take a look how this would be possible for windows.

HRH! I see the jquery-animate file from the /Spam section. xD

Wllìm:

--- Quote from: Tìtstewan on June 21, 2014, 07:33:41 am ---Txantsan! Unfortunately, I don't use Ubuntu...

--- End quote ---
:(

--- Quote from: Tìtstewan on June 21, 2014, 07:33:41 am ---For the Hard Drive, I used somewhere:
säomumä henayu
information carrier

--- End quote ---
That's a great one, irayo! :) Hmm, perhaps I should make a list of words / phrases that I can't find a translation for... :-\

--- Quote from: Tìtstewan on June 21, 2014, 07:33:41 am ---I should take a look how this would be possible for windows.

--- End quote ---
I think that is not possible for Windows, since it is not open-source :( (without hacking at least :P )

--- Quote from: Tìtstewan on June 21, 2014, 07:33:41 am ---HRH! I see the jquery-animate file from the /Spam section. xD

--- End quote ---
I downloaded it to see what the problem was.

Blue Elf:
Na'vify software is hard, as Na'vi do not have technical terms (except a few ones), but put here what you can't translate, maybe we find some solution.
As for Windows, IMHO you can't create your own localization - either localized version in desired language exists and then you can get it or doesn't exist. But if some option to do this exists, I'd like to try it - at least to piss mu boss off :) (once I wrote some comments in source code in Na'vi and was cursed for that few times. To have Na'vi desktop would be fantastic!)

Kame Ayyo’koti:
That's awesome! :) While KDE isn't my native desktop, I might consider putting it in a VM just to play around with it.

I like the idea of translating interfaces into Na’vi, although the most I've ever thought of translating is individual programs and Minecraft HRH.

I read an article a while back about learning language, in which the writer had modded The Sims (the original game) to show German along with the English translation. He explained that by doing this, players could play the game in German and would be motivated to learn words in order to play the game, but could look to the English for help when they needed it.

Imagine if we could translate games like The Sims into Na’vi. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version