Software in Na'vi

Started by 'eylan na'viyä, April 27, 2010, 05:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzer

Opera is 1/4 translated by lines in the file - party!

(It's 28% translated by characters in the file - though most of the Na'vi translations are longer than the English ones, so all this means is Na'vi translations now take up 28% of the file - so it should be taken with a pinch of salt. However, I do believe the later strings probably are shorter, because almost all of the ones I've translated so far have been relatively long messages.)

Also, I'm going to kill the person who invented security now - encryption, signatures, certificates etc. are getting on my nerves, as I had to be quite creative when coming up with words for them! Security is "safety", security protocol is "way of safety (tìkxukeyä fya'o)" - a name which I've realised I've also given to certificate (no, I won't change it now unless someone comes up with a much better word or phrase), a certificate authority is a leader of safety. A site that has been validated is said to be "true" (ngay), etc. etc., ad nauseam. You'll probably laugh at some of my phrasing when you see it - I don't care, my aim though is to import as few English words as possible - basically the only words I've imported so far are names (JavaScript, Google, Opera) and abbreviations (HTML, XML, etc.). Everything else is pure Na'vi. I personally think that it is only the security/encryption sections that might be a little confusing until you get my common phrases figured out - all the rest - that I've translated so far at least - is recogniseable and easily translated.

(FWIW, a few other words used for many tasks are tìftxey or aysìftxey, choice or choices, which is used for menus, preferences, options, forms and various other things; and tìlam, appearance, which is usually qualified with something like Operayä or aylì'uä (words') to mean view, window appearance, skin, font, style and various other things too. I use tsaheylu and tsaheyl si for connections, and fpe' or tìng, depending on circumstance, for sending or uploading data, and tel for receiving or downloading it.).
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

'eylan na'viyä

txantsan nang!
great to hear from this progress.

some technical terms are really hard to translate. I noticed that when i translated parts of the forum interface. (ugh ... when i see all the errors i made  :P)

Maybe we should collect all these terms so that later translation projects can use words that are consistent with our translations. (or at least the ones that are good)

Muzer

Yeah - that might be an idea :P

I've had lots of exams this week so haven't been able to do much, but I'm now up to 26%

Muzer

Again, haven't been doing much in the past few days, but I'm working tonight and have managed 29%.

I might start using the translation soon - see if Opera will detect it or if I have to replace another translation...

EDIT: Wow, no, in fact, it's incredibly easy to set up a translation - you don't even need to edit a single file manually, or even put any files in a specific place! So, I can see what sort of state the translation in, and the state isn't very good yet - the mouseover text for the toolbar buttons is mostly translated, as is the loading bar and most of the error pages. E-mail and IRC are pretty good, and some of the Speed Dial text is done, but that's about it so far. From the vast amount I've done on security, though, I'm sure a lot of that is translated, as well as quite a few other more obscure topics - it's a shame you rarely see them though...

(I made B (byte) be "LH" - Lì'uä hapxì, part of word, and "elements" is "ayu", things :P)

Muzer

I just made a thread asking about it in the Opera Translation forum. Sign up and voice your appreciation of the language! http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=610652

'eylan na'viyä

Neytiri Na'Vi

Hey, while we are on the software subject,... PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE,...can someone tell me where I can get the AWSOME blue smilies to use on my computer sytem! Where can I get these!!! They are WAY cool!!!
Irayo, Neytiri.

Tsamsiyu92

Quote from: Tompa'Ivong on June 01, 2010, 02:17:36 AM
...the numpad, along with tilde (`), these keys could easily be r...

}
If you have the `-key, click it and the "i"-key afterwards, that will give you the ì.

Steam would have been fun to have nìNa'vi.

'eylan na'viyä

@Muzer

how far are you with your Opera translation?
could you please post a snapshot of the partial translated file(s)

maybe i will try to translate simple machines in a not too distant future. It would be helpful to have some example translations for some terms and formulations for this.

Elektrolurch

Sorry.. but I think there's one biig problem.

The Na'vi have just no word for HyperText Transfer Protocol or Basic Input Output System ...
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

'eylan na'viyä

Some of us already discussed these kind of problems several times, although without satisfying results. I think the problem is not that there is no solution but rather that it is hard to decide which way to go. You could make it a loan word, you could describe the meaning in the way human understand it, you could describe it the way Na'vi would understand it or a mixture of these. A popular example would be "tawsìp".
PS: in German there is also no translation for "HyperText Transfer Protocol" ;)